1.    #1  
    OK, there's no doubting that the 300 was a bulky phone, but the protection of the flip has allowed me to prevent the screen from obtaining any scratches, along with screen protectors. I think the 600 screen is bound to get messed up unless we all spend our lives treating the thing with kid gloves.

That being said, I'm also concerned about the digital camera lens, which appears to have no protection on the back of the phone, getting scratched up too. I haven't seen any indicators that the lens has a cover. Shouldn't it? It's completely exposesd.

I appreciate the smaller phone with much better features, but in 6 months after rigerous use, I fear for the little boy's life.
    A screen protector should be able to protect the screen, shouldn't it?
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by silverado
    A screen protector should be able to protect the screen, shouldn't it?
    In my personal opinion, I am concerned about a thin sheet of plastic (or whatever they make those screen protectors out of) preparing the phone from big dings which I think are inevitable if you carry something around with you all the time.

First off, I was never concerned with what I put into my pocket with my 300. I could put my earpiece in there with it, my keys, a little radio, whatever. Now, I think I will have to exclude everything from that pocket except for the Treo 600 itself, which is not a big deal.

Touch sensitive screens are easily damageable. The Treo 300's was well protected by a flip lid. You may find the concern in my post insignificant, but I'm guessing plenty of people will be upset when their screen is dented, scratched, or messed up. Time will tell.
    I got over the worry of scratching the screen, many PDA's and phones ago. They are a tool, and it is inconvenient if you have to be super careful with them

The Treo Central Love at first site article says....

"Many people have also voiced a strong concern about the absence of a flip lid for protecting the main screen as well as concern for the camera lens getting scratched. Handspring has conducted extensive durability tests to ensure the new Treo 600 can stand up to everyday use. Apparently despite Handsprings best efforts to scratch the screens in their real life testing they could not. Same with the camera lens.

One of the ways Handspring tested the durability of the screens was to put the Treo in a purse with all kinds of real life things like sharp keys and sunglasses and shake up the purse for long periods of time. It bummed me out to learn this, but they sacrificed two hundred Treo 600s just testing them for sturdiness and durability which included drop testing—on concrete floors! ".....

Personally, I am glad there will be no covers to deal with. Get a nice belt pouch and use reasonable care, keep it 11 months and sell it on eBay.
    Last edited by george_vc; 08/07/2003 at 04:16 PM.
    When I first checked out the Treo600 at that Sprint show here in Dallas, the Handspring folks told me the same thing - that the screen had a built-in (built-on?) scratch protectant. I closely examined the screen of the unit they had there, and I couldn't see any glaze or fuzziness or any adverse viewing conditions.
    We'll see.....
    (I do have to say that I like that my T300 screen is pristine, due no doubt to the flip lid protecting it)
    I stick a brando on it just in case.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Of course, that first scuff is gonna suck... but that's how it is with almost everything new you own... a new car... new tennis shoes. Pretty soon, it's all just another thing you have and use. I'm not worried about any normal wear and tear.
    I'm VERY concerned about that. My Treo 180 Screen has been well-protected by the flip cover, but the flip cover window itself (plastic) is all marred.

As for the Treo 600 Camera... it's not just scratches. It will be a dust/dirt magnet.

Hopefully there will be some slick cases for the Treo 600.
    I would assume there would be various holsters that would help protect it?
    Indeed there are. Between the promo pictures and the FCC filings I've seen two cases.
    I think that everyone has too much time on their hands waiting till October!
    My Kyo 6035 has the partial flip but 2/3 of the screen is still exposed. I haven't had any problems in two years of ownership with the screen. And believe me, this thing goes everywhere with me. It's in my gym bag with my car keys, coins, pens and who knows what else. It goes with me to the beach (picture sand, sun block on it). It takes a lickin! I used to use a screen protector but didn't like how dark and fuzzy the screen looked. And when I do keep it in my pants pocket (sometimes a holster won't work...or isn't fashionable anyway!) I don't put anything else in my pocket but the 6035. Not for fear of scratching it but because it weighs the pocket down enough by itself. The 600 looks like, dimension wise, it's going to be close to what I now use. And the best holster I have found (after trying 4 or 5) is a leather pouch type made by Kenneth Cole that I got on sale at T.J. Maxx (kind of like Bealls in FLA) for $7.99!
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    "Handspring has conducted extensive durability tests to ensure the new Treo 600 can stand up to everyday use."

Hah! Wonder if that's the same "team" that Q/A'd the 180 before it shipped. I went through 7 of those units and treated each one with kid gloves.

Handspring's Q/A team quote is about as reassuring as Bill Gates talking about windows "secure computing"

The lack of a screen protector is a big drawback for me. I can't imagine what kind of damage rubbing the buckle on the seatbelt will do to an unprotected touch screen. . .
    About once a week I go to the store and buy one dozen eggs.

Occasionally if I drop one on the floor it breaks.

But usually I just handle the eggs the way I am supposed to and they don't break unless I want them to break.

Can I apply this to other parts of my life?
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by jberger
    "Handspring has conducted extensive durability tests to ensure the new Treo 600 can stand up to everyday use."

Hah! Wonder if that's the same "team" that Q/A'd the 180 before it shipped. I went through 7 of those units and treated each one with kid gloves.

Handspring's Q/A team quote is about as reassuring as Bill Gates talking about windows "secure computing"

The lack of a screen protector is a big drawback for me. I can't imagine what kind of damage rubbing the buckle on the seatbelt will do to an unprotected touch screen. . .
    [/QUOTE

I think if the phone is in the holster when not in use and is in your hand when in use, that is reasonable care. Back lit screens do not show small scratches as much as the old mono screens. I guess the biggest thing for me is the inconvenience of extreme care. Anymore, I see these things as tools to use for their useful life then upgrade in time with technology requires. For me it is use reasonable care, and enjoy the unit not extreme care that is overly inconvenient. But that is just where I am.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    George,
    If the holster stores the phone with the screen to the inside, then it would be protected. But it would need to be removed each time someone called to check Caller ID.

My point was, if Handspring tested the scratch resistance for the 600 like they Q/A tested the 180, then I had serious doubts about the "scratch proof" claims for the 600.

The Kyocera model is built like a tank, but the treo is much more fragile given it's smaller diamensions.
    Does it come with a case?

According to the Picture son another thread it looks like it comes with a case that you can see through that protects the entire front.

It also says something about including a case in the manual.

Does anyone know for sure about this case?

Mike

PS - I find it slighly amusing that people are "very worried" or "concerned" about the durability. Do you think after so many past designs, and after listebning to user input (which they did on this model) they would release something that is junk?!

NOT having a flip or clamshell is a HGE reason I am buying this phone.... WHY should you have to go trough more effort to take a call.. I rather whip it out of my pocket and hit a button...

Also anyone trying to use the phone one handed know show ackward it is, and there have been numerous discussions which I agree on about the hingle breaking and whatnot... ONE PIECE IS EASIER.. its quick.. its convienient.... it just is.. you will see...

If anyone know about the case, please post.

Mike
    I had a Visor Prism for a long time and the screen was never damaged at all. I had a Handspring case for it that opened like a book. It was easy to access the screen and controls and it protected the screen perfectly. Of course, that type of case works well in a purse so those of us who do not carry purses will, I am sure, find a perfectly suitable alternative.
    Look, Handspring may have said they applied the phone to real life conditions but that's a very vague term. Even the purse thing is a little strange. The screen is glass, and just like "scratch proof" glasses, they scratch.

I'm not really going to believe whatever Handspring says. What will allay my fears is a review from a user like at TreoCentral.

Now I'm not saying Handspring is being deceptive, but I find corporations simply have different standards of durability and that if they could truly make it scratch proof they would.

But C'mon people, the device isn't out yet so the only reviews are from people who basically glanced at it for 15 minutes or who have it early from Handspring so Handspring can expect them to give nearly 'orgasmic' raves.

Now it lasting long enough until a new model comes out is simply unacceptable and shawdy business ethics. I am going to spend good money on this product if I buy it. I expect it to last a good while. 11 months is not a good while. For all we know Palm can go under and there won't be any support for the device and no new products. For a phone with this price range it better last.

So I am still concerned cause the thing is still glass and all transparent glass scratches someway or another.

Thanks!

Typed on my Treo 300