1.    #1  
    I've spent a decent amount of money buying software that passes the time - Scrabble, Monopoly, Quickword. Does anyone know whether any of this software will work on a 160 by 160 screen or if I'll have to go purchasing newer versions of the programs again if I should want them?

For the record, I have a 300 now (with a recently broken hinge, ahhh!)
    Treo 600 uses Palm OS version 5.0. All the software written for Treo300 which uses Palm OS version 3.5.2H should work with Treo600. The only thing is that these software may not be using a number of good features being provided by the new OS and also Treo 600 (for eg. 5 way navigation, SD memory etc).

-chiru
    This is probably the wrong place to ask that. You should check the developer of each piece of software to see whether they are OS5 compatible.

Geoffrey
    Originally posted by libmanj
    I've spent a decent amount of money buying software that passes the time - Scrabble, Monopoly, Quickword. Does anyone know whether any of this software will work on a 160 by 160 screen or if I'll have to go purchasing newer versions of the programs again if I should want them?

For the record, I have a 300 now (with a recently broken hinge, ahhh!)
    Of course the screen resolution will not be an issue since you have a 160x160 device now as well.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Of course the screen resolution will not be an issue since you have a 160x160 device now as well.
    My mistake. Somehow I thought the 300 had a greater resolution than 160x160, but I'll take your word for it.
    Originally posted by chiru
    Treo 600 uses Palm OS version 5.0. All the software written for Treo300 which uses Palm OS version 3.5.2H should work with Treo600.
    to my knowledge that excludes at least all the hacks, so your statement is not correct. But I could be wrong, it's just that I've read somewhere something about hacks not working on PalmOS 5 devices.

If every other ancient PalmOS prog will automatically work on a PalmOS 5 device I do not know, though. But usually the developers updated their software already so it shouldn't be a problem for a vast majority of progs.

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Originally posted by treopolis

to my knowledge that excludes at least all the hacks, so your statement is not correct. But I could be wrong, it's just that I've read somewhere something about hacks not working on PalmOS 5 devices.
    It excludes all hacks that haven't been updated to work with OS5's new notification scheme which was created specifically because hacks wouldn't work with OS5. These new hacks run on OS5 without a hack manager. And the makers of TealMaster even claim that they can even get hacks that haven't been updated for OS5 compliance to work (although anecdotal evidence implies results are spotty at best). Looking over the hacks on my Treo 270:

• Crash has been OS5 compatible since version 2.0 which only runs on OS5. Earlier versions only run on older OSes.
    • DA Launcher has a Preference version that runs without a hack manager but I don't know if it works with OS5 or not. An OS5 compatible version is in development but not speaking, Japanese I can't tell if it run on OS5 or not. A new program called QLauncher provides similar functionality and runs under OS5.
    • Drag & Drop hasn't been updated since 1998 and won't work with OS5.
    • EasyLaunch hasn't been updated since May 2002 and doesn't work with OS5. Tealpoint claims that it is "partially functional" with TealMaster. Qlauncher can provide similar functionality.
    • FontHack 123 doesn't work with OS5 but there are other font programs that do work with the newer OS.
    • KeyCapsHack, Log Data Calls, Treo Keyboard Utilities, and TreoKeyCntlHack were written specifically for the original Treo and will not run on any other machine.
    • McPhling is fully OS5 compatible. There are seperate versions for OS5 and for older OSes.
    • NoLinesHack is not OS5 compatible but it's a very trivial program. It shouldn't be to hard to find an OS5 compatible replacement.
    • OKey is OS5 compliant and has seperate versions for OS5 and for earlier OSes.
    • Safehack will not run on OS5 but it is also reasonablely trivial and should be easy to replace.
    • Scrollbar Hack will not run on OS5.
    • Switcheroo does not run on OS5

So out of 15 hacks, three have new versions which are OS5 compatible. One might have a new OS5 compatible version soon. Four should be easy to replace. And four are tied closely to the original Treo's quirks and may or may not be needed with the new one. When upgrading to the Treo 600 with PalmOS 5 there will be a transition but it shouldn't be much more difficult than transitioning from a PDA/Phone with a Graffiti area to one with a keyboard.
    Thank you for the clarification. I knew that there was something fishy about hacks but couldn't recall what the specifics where.

Originally posted by DarthRepublican

• Switcheroo does not run on OS5

NOOO, that's the one I love the most!!

Oh well, I guess with the new launching abilities (keyboard short cuts, D-Pad Launcher thingie) of the treo 600 I'll manage.

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    I've heard that the old "web clippings" that I've got working on my 300 are out with version 5 also. Can anyone confirm this?
    Yep, I was initially concerned about losing Switcheroo since I use it all the time. BUT - since the single hot-key function of the 600 is so similar to how Switcheroo works, my plan is just to map the same keys that I use now with Switcheroo to the new function of the 600. Should be pretty much the same, with the added bonus of being able to map hot keys to speed dial numbers. Can't do THAT with Switcheroo.
    I think that whatever loss of hacks (and I use them religiously) we might suffer will be gareatly outweighed by the overall OS improvements.
    Can't wait!!
    Okey doesn't seem to be working on Treo 600, at least not the same as it did on T|T
    Originally posted by jwardneosoft
    I've heard that the old "web clippings" that I've got working on my 300 are out with version 5 also. Can anyone confirm this?
    Correct, web clipping no worky.

Nrosser,

dont you find it a pain to have to go to the "phone" screen to launch these apps?

is there a program that will let you program the shift+hard button that will work on the 600?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by chiru
    Treo 600 uses Palm OS version 5.0. All the software written for Treo300 which uses Palm OS version 3.5.2H should work with Treo600. The only thing is that these software may not be using a number of good features being provided by the new OS and also Treo 600 (for eg. 5 way navigation, SD memory etc).

-chiru
    Not just that... but apps created for the old Dragonball may not run as fast as they could on the Treo 600's ARM (OMAP) processor. I suppose some would even run slower on the Treo 600 than on other Palm platforms. Probably not an issue for most apps though.
    to answer your question about having to go the phone screen to launch the single-button apps:

well, I don't mind it, really - I think it's along the same lines (or maybe even smoother) as what I used to with the 300 and Switcheroo - two buttons pressed at the same time to invoke the hack, and then the letter to switch to the app. In fact, I'd say it's a little better on the 600.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.