1.    #1  
    Has anyone heard any more about the power system for the Treo 600 other than the longer talk time and the auxilliary battery that can be clipped to the back?

In particular, I had hoped to hear that they would provide some means of preserving memory as the battery gets low. Either a secondary battery that powers the memory independent of the primary battery, or some form of power management that shuts off all other functions except for memory when the battery gets to a certain level of charge. Or some other form of memory persistence. (No, the SD slot doesn't count!)

I've run down the battery at least 3 times since I bought my Treo 300 last October. It usually occurs when I've lost signal. Very often, there is nothing you can do but watch the battery meter drop if you're not near a charging source! This happened to me last week on vacation. The battery drained to zero, I lost all the PDA memory, and (being on vacation) I did not have my laptop to resync. I was hosed!

Ken
    Originally posted by kpoleyeff
    I've run down the battery at least 3 times since I bought my Treo 300 last October. It usually occurs when I've lost signal. Very often, there is nothing you can do but watch the battery meter drop if you're not near a charging source!
    Turn off the radio. A fully charged Treo will last weeks in that state.
    kpoleyeff, you've owned a Treo 300 since Oct.'02 and this is your first post. Catch up dude. Search the board for lots of info you missed out on.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!

I've run down the battery at least 3 times since I bought my Treo 300 last October. It usually occurs when I've lost signal. Very often, there is nothing you can do but watch the battery meter drop if you're not near a charging source! This happened to me last week on vacation. The battery drained to zero, I lost all the PDA memory, and (being on vacation) I did not have my laptop to resync. I was hosed!

Ken
    I believe thats what many users around here refer to as the "Red blink of death" or RBOD. Search the forums b/c there has been tons of discussion on this topic..

Also, the only thing I've heard about the Treo600 is the fact that it will have a massive 1800 mAh battery. But unless Handspring and Sprint were able to resolve the myriad of vision connection problems, there's a strong possibility we may still see the same battery drain problems in the Treo 600 in my opinon...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Has anyone heard any more about the power system for the Treo 600 other than the longer talk time and the auxilliary battery that can be clipped to the back?

In particular, I had hoped to hear that they would provide some means of preserving memory as the battery gets low. Either a secondary battery that powers the memory independent of the primary battery, or some form of power management that shuts off all other functions except for memory when the battery gets to a certain level of charge. Or some other form of memory persistence. (No, the SD slot doesn't count!)

Ken
    Oh yes... It's a good idea to turn off wireless mode when you are on a plane or away from cities. That is because the phone boosts its RF power to maximum, trying to find cell phone towers, when it's not around any. The battery drains especially quick... (and all phones do that).

And no, I don't think you can "fix" this.

The thing about shutting off treo when low on battery, I'm sure somebody will program a hack to do that... I can see it already...

do(every 5 min)
    {
    if (checkbattery() < .10)
    then
    wirelessmode(off);
    }

TADA!
    Originally posted by conflagrare

The thing about shutting off treo when low on battery, I'm sure somebody will program a hack to do that... I can see it already...

do(every 5 min)
    {
    if (checkbattery() < .10)
    then
    wirelessmode(off);
    }

TADA!
    I looked for this very hack/app for my T300 and could not find one. Seems logical to me that a phone that loses all its data if the battery goes completly dead, would not have the feature to turn off the wireless mode so the main memory could still be powered.
    Carl
    Originally posted by conflagrare
    That is because the phone boosts its RF power to maximum, trying to find cell phone towers, when it's not around any. The battery drains especially quick... (and all phones do that).
    Seem as if it's only us Sprint people complaining about it though. I don't think non-Sprint phones have that particular problem.

As far as the radio turning off when power is low. That's already a feature of the device. Shoot mine does that 2-3 times a day, more if I actually use the device. I've not had a problem with losing data due to low battery, and mine is nearly always at single digit level before I charge it.
    That's odd.

Every PDA I've ever used, including my Treo 270, simply shuts off (won't allow you to turn it on) when the battery gets too low to support the display. But the memory is preserved for at least a couple of days under those conditions.

I ran my 270 down to where it wouldn't turn on (wireless turned off on its own and screen wouldn't activate). When I finally recharged it a day later everything was fine. I hadn't lost a thing.

I never considered it a problem. I've had non-Palm devices that lost their memories when the battery died, but never my Palm V, Palm IIIc, Visor Prism, or Treo 270.

Is this a common Treo 300 problem?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    The only time a Palm or Handspring device I've owned has ever completely drained down and lost data is if a third party program has crashed leaving the screen continually on.

Had no problems with Treo 180 or 270.
    Originally posted by potatoho

As far as the radio turning off when power is low. That's already a feature of the device. Shoot mine does that 2-3 times a day, more if I actually use the device. .
    Feature of bug?
    Carl
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget
    That's odd.

Every PDA I've ever used, including my Treo 270, simply shuts off (won't allow you to turn it on) when the battery gets too low to support the display. But the memory is preserved for at least a couple of days under those conditions.

I ran my 270 down to where it wouldn't turn on (wireless turned off on its own and screen wouldn't activate). When I finally recharged it a day later everything was fine. I hadn't lost a thing.

I never considered it a problem. I've had non-Palm devices that lost their memories when the battery died, but never my Palm V, Palm IIIc, Visor Prism, or Treo 270.

Is this a common Treo 300 problem?
    This has never happened to, but I have only had my T300 for about a month. I have read report that this is what happens when the battery runs all the way down. I just dont want to find out for myself.
    Carl