Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I'm demoing WirelessModem on my Treo 300, hooked up to an ibook running OS 9.1 - so far it looks like a real winner! I have a couple of questions though cause I am worried about "excessive use" that's being talked about.

I know that on another thread someone said the Sprint is looking at data usage of over 1GIG per month - this is probably a stupid question, but how many KBs is 1GIG? I got KBTracker so I can keep track of useage. I will only be using it occassionally to check e-mail when I'm on the road, etc. Maybe some light surfing while away from my broadband service.

Also, when I'm connected using #777 is it being charged against my cell phone minutes on my plan?
    1 GB=1024 MB or 1024x1024 KB

#777 is a Vision data connection so it will not count against your minutes.

HTH
    Originally posted by nora
    I know that on another thread someone said the Sprint is looking at data usage of over 1GIG per month - this is probably a stupid question, but how many KBs is 1GIG? I got KBTracker so I can keep track of useage. I will only be using it occassionally to check e-mail when I'm on the road, etc. Maybe some light surfing while away from my broadband service.
    About 1 million kilobytes, give or take a few...

1 megabyte is equal to about 1,000 kilobytes, and there's about 1,000 megabytes in a gigabyte, so that should give you some idea of the enormity of data transfer taking place. There's no way you could go over that quote by checking e-mails and doing occasional light surfing on the 'net, believe me. It's people that start downloading large files, mp3's, etc., that go over that limit, and I don't blame Sprint for singling them out!
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    OK! Thanks! Yeah, that is A LOT!!! of data! There is no way I would even come anywhere near that. Why would someone want to download large files like that anyway? I mean the connection I'm getting seems fast (it feels a tad bit faster than my internal modem w/ dialup actually), but it could never replace my cable modem service!

It seems crazy to do that with a cell phone! I'm going to demo this a few more days and once I've got the hang of it, buy my registration code. This will be great on those rare occassions when I'm out of town or on the not so rare occassion when my power goes down during our numerous thunderstorms and I want to view the local weather radar (could have used it yesterday, when my modem got zapped by lightening during a storm and I was down without any computer email access for the night and earlier this morning). Thank goodness I had the Treo though. I kept checking it using Eudora and got all my email that was timely quickly. I love this phone/PDA!
    Here's something that goes Great! with WirelessModem. It's a portable cable called MiniSync from Boxwave. It will charge the Treo while surfing or syncing.