1.    #1  
    After many phone conversations with Sprint PCS, my friend finally got his Vision service back after promising not to use it excesivelly. He was using a regular phone, NOT a Treo 300. However, several interesting things came up during the conversations:
    1. Sprint PCS started checking people's accounts MONTHLY for excessive Vision usage.
    2. Excessive Vision usage is considered anything above 1 GB / month.
    3. The department that is doing the checking and canceling of Vision is called the "Sprint PCS Loyalty Group" based in Florida. Their phone number is 866-828-0040.
    4. I called up the department and spoke to some guy named Walter about using a Treo with a computer. ANY KIND OF USAGE with a computer whether by a treo, a phone with USB cable or a phone with bluetooth, over 1 GB / month is being hunted down.
    5. Sprint PCS is NOT monitoring people's traffic, they only look at the monthly transfer amounts.
    6. Phone cables are available through Sprint PCS business department, RadioShack and Best Buy, in combination with metered data plans ($100/300 MBs). No unlimited plan available unless you have a connection card.
    7. No connection software for Treos
    How can we tell on the TREO what our monthly data usage is?

##786 does not work on the TREO.

thanks,
  3.    #3  
    A program like KBTracker can help
    Originally posted by netwizard
    Perhaps we should all take a breath and marvel at the fact that we have a cell phone that CAN transfer over 1 GB of data per month. It wasn't too many years ago that a 1 GB hard drive was cutting edge (and $1,000!).

Yes, the charging sucks, but I just felt the need to be in awe at how far we've come...

WOW!! I'm actualy suprised that the ceiling for "excessive" is so high? Or maybe its just a matter of perspective since I know many people could easily burn through 1 GB if they watned to...

3. The department that is doing the checking and canceling of Vision is called the "Sprint PCS Loyalty Group" based in Florida. Their phone number is 866-828-0040.
    That's just a creepy title for a department! I really see no need for any Orwellian motifs...

5. Sprint PCS is NOT monitoring people's traffic, they only look at the monthly transfer amounts.
    Does Sprint actually have the capability of monitoring if you're accessing vision via phone or laptop? I've always assumed they did and could if they wanted...

6. Phone cables are available through Sprint PCS business department, RadioShack and Best Buy, in combination with metered data plans ($100/300 MBs). No unlimited plan available unless you have a connection card.
    I don't believe Sprint offers any unlimited data plans with their connection cards. The max you can get now is 300 MB/month for $100 bucks which is a palty amount imo...

7. No connection software for Treos
    You know about PDANet and wireless modem right?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Does Sprint actually have the capability of monitoring if you're accessing vision via phone or laptop? I've always assumed they did and could if they wanted...
    They can tell what ports you're accessing. Anything outside the normal (IM, Email, Web, perhaps FTP) might raise a flag. For instance, if you have Kazaa or something operating on whatever port it is it uses, clearly you aren't on a handheld.
    A program like KBTracker can help
    I don't think KBTracker works when dialing up via #777
    Are you sure its 1gb a month? I have seen someone post that the flag is raised at 200mb a month.
    I'd be careful with KBTracker. I used it for quite sometime on my Treo 270 before T-Mobile's unlimited plan started. It often reported wildly outragous numbers and contacting PDAApps didn't help. They never got back to me after getting all the information from me. I started a thread here outlining the problem exactly. PDAApps never denied the problem to me or on here.

More importantly, my Treo was hanging once or twice a day during web browsing while using KBTracker, requiring a soft reset. It is yet to hang that way again since I stopped using KBTracker!
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Dusk
    Are you sure its 1gb a month? I have seen someone post that the flag is raised at 200mb a month.
    That's what they said on the phone. You can call them yourself, just don;'t give out your Sprint PCS number
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

You know about PDANet and wireless modem right?
    I meant that Sprint does not provide software, they started providing connection software for phones with cables.
    1 Gb a month would be not a big deal. As long as you dont go crazy. Some of the people posting on sprintusers seem to have done less than 1gb a month though. Guess I will call that sprint number when I have some time to get a confirmation.
    During a session, PdaNet counts up bytes sent/received. If one knew for sure what the limit was, seems like Eddie should be able to update PdaNet to accept a date (on which one's billing month starts) and a number (over which it would issue warning bublets from the winxp tray).
    David