1.    #1  
    I have recently developed a problem when I sync my Treo 300. It only connects to my pc every other time I push the hotsync cable. I am using an aftermarket usb sync/charge cable with a button.

When I push the button it starts the sync process on the treo, but nothing happens on the computer. After I get the message that there was trouble communicating with the pc I hit the "cancel" button and then the sync button again and everything works fine. But the next time I try to sync, no connection.

I have tried a soft reset, a hard reset, uninstalling and reinstalling the palm desktop software and changing my treo id to get a "fresh start." But no go, the problem is still there.

Has anyone had this problem before and if so, have you found a fix?
    Originally posted by n8bocks
    I have recently developed a problem when I sync my Treo 300. It only connects to my pc every other time I push the hotsync cable. I am using an aftermarket usb sync/charge cable with a button.

When I push the button it starts the sync process on the treo, but nothing happens on the computer. After I get the message that there was trouble communicating with the pc I hit the "cancel" button and then the sync button again and everything works fine. But the next time I try to sync, no connection.

I have tried a soft reset, a hard reset, uninstalling and reinstalling the palm desktop software and changing my treo id to get a "fresh start." But no go, the problem is still there.

Has anyone had this problem before and if so, have you found a fix?
    Try a new cable. If that fixes it, there you go. If not, just return the cable and keep looking. It looks like you ruled just about everything else out.
    Do you use PDANet. I have the exact same problem and it's a result of the HotSync manager not loading fast enough once the PDANet program quits. The Treo times out the connection.
    I have the same issue. No aftermarket cable or hacks on mine.

Any help out there?
    Do you ever used PDANet?
    ...that was my implication. Sorry, should have been more explicit.

Eddie has not addressed this issue the couple times I have pointed it out to him.

I couldn't get PDAnet to work until the recent betas. I have always had strange USB issues on my XP laptop. This hasn't bothered me enough to put forth a lot of effore to fix, but it is annoying. I was hoping the gold PDAnet would fix it.
  7.    #7  
    Thank you for the help, but it is still not working.

I have tried a different cable - same result.
    I do have PdaNet, but I have the same result when I disable PdaNet. Also, when the sync works (still every other time) it works it way through PdaNet just fine - no time outs.

I am baffled. It is definitely time for the 600 to come out. Although with my the problem will migrate to the 600.
    Your PC is probably overtaxed in some way and is slow to respond to the HotSync signal from the button. Try rebooting the PC more often - it may have a program that is leaking memory. A reboot will clean that out at least temporarily.

Dont use an unpowered USB hub or chain your USB devices. Plug the cable straight into the USB port on the PC.

You may also have a poor USB hardware setup on the PC and could benefit from a new aftermarket USB 2.0 card that will perform better. They are cheap and well worth it. USB 2.0 is fully backward compatible with USB 1.1 that the Treo uses.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the advice on the overtaxed computer Poryphyron.

I hope that is not the case, I have a Toshiba 3505 Tablet that has plenty of resources and USB 2.0 already.

The only device plugged in is the treo and it is directly into the usb port.

If my computer is over-taxed already, I have bigger problems than just syncing every other button push.