1.    #1  
    ive read a couple posts describing how some people have gone through up to "8" treo300s before getting one that worked.

problems were with the hinge, battery life, speakerphone, frequent crashes, etc.

with a brand new model coming out thats a totally new treo with several new features and functions added in, will we see the same types of bugs and deficiencies in the first couple batches of treo600s?

granted, i know users vary in how rough or how often they use their phones. who knows what the reasons may be. but does anyone think these early problems are likely to happen again with the new treos? i know no ones got the crystal ball either.. its a tough call esp if youre eager about these things...

handspring puts out proven hardware, no doubt. i just wonder if it would be wiser to hang back at first and see how the first treo600s fare in the field before leaping onto new and untested models. this will be tough, since im just as enthused about the upgrade as most are here.
    I recommend you wait.

I'll get one and tell you all about it and you can just wait till you are ready.

You can wait, can't you ;-)

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    My experience with Handspring is that they are good about replacing the unit if it fails during the warrenty period. I would have no problem buying from their initial release.
    I got one of the 1st Treo 300s... had to go to a very far away Sprint Store to do it..

Never had any problems with hinges or otherwise.

On the 600.. who cares about hinges.... asthetically, there isn't much to break.

Any problems would mos tlikely be software related and can be fixed with an update.

Anythign else, like bad chips, would be weeded out way before it hits the marlet (like people ar eprobably doiung right now!)

Mike
    I'm going to wait this time.

Been through too many Treos, albeit my 3rd 180 is serving me well (waiting on my T270 replacement...).

So I will see if the T600 blows up and how 'everyone' else likes/dislikes it.
    www.gsmworld.com
    I had no end of problems with my 270.

The unit frequently froze up and no amount of patches and resets seemed to help.

Eventually, I discovered a repeatable flaw where the unit would freeze if a caller hung up at the same time as the phone was answered.

I promptly returned it and got my money back.

I am loath to see what happened in the PC market happen to the PDA and cell phone market. I am amazed by the number of people here who regularly have to reset their PDAs and think it's "normal"

The only way we are going to get quality products is if we all stop accepting that crashes, freezes, bugs, etc are somehow "inherent" in software.

I have had a Palm V from almost the day they came out. I have never had to use the hard reset facility. I've never had the Palm V freeze and stop responding except for just after installing a buggy third-party app.

I expect a cell phone and a PDA to "just work". It worries me greatly that the "Wireless Loading" article posted here talked about how great it will be that you can download your important data after a reset.

I think it would be great if handspring properly engineered their product in the first place.
    I was one of the very first to purchase my treo 300 from my local sprint store, they didnt even know how to activate it, they asked me to call from home) still with me and have had zero issues, with hinge, or anything else.
    Jim
    Thanks,
    intysf@cs.com
    TreoCentral.com
    Product Page Editor
    While waiting makes sense, life is too short!! So I'm going to order one the first day (minute?) they're available. I ordered my Treo 180 minutes after it became available. I now have a 270.
    Silverado, a new one after you lost the one in Paris? Did you have to buy a new one?

I bought 2 treo 300, gave one to my son. Bought in October. 3 weeks ago his hinge broke and my hinge developed a short as was noted by others on the 300 board. Sprint replace both and with a quick resync we were up and running.

Here is hoping the 600 works.
    Originally posted by vitb9doc
    Silverado, a new one after you lost the one in Paris? Did you have to buy a new one?

Yes, I bought a new one for $70 (thank goodness for rebates!).
    Originally posted by melevittfl
    I had no end of problems with my 270.

The unit frequently froze up and no amount of patches and resets seemed to help.

Eventually, I discovered a repeatable flaw where the unit would freeze if a caller hung up at the same time as the phone was answered.

I promptly returned it and got my money back.

I am loath to see what happened in the PC market happen to the PDA and cell phone market. I am amazed by the number of people here who regularly have to reset their PDAs and think it's "normal"

The only way we are going to get quality products is if we all stop accepting that crashes, freezes, bugs, etc are somehow "inherent" in software.

I have had a Palm V from almost the day they came out. I have never had to use the hard reset facility. I've never had the Palm V freeze and stop responding except for just after installing a buggy third-party app.

I expect a cell phone and a PDA to "just work". It worries me greatly that the "Wireless Loading" article posted here talked about how great it will be that you can download your important data after a reset.

I think it would be great if handspring properly engineered their product in the first place.
    well, after a lot of searching around the third-party apps.. I have a stable configuration, and crashes aren't often... (once a month perhaps...) and your description of answering a call while the other side hangs up is a majority of those situations...
    Currently on my 5th treo 180 I'll sit back and let others experience the new adopter penalty.
    I'm going to get a Treo 600 as SOON as it is available also! I wonder how much longer the GSM version will take to come out after the CDMA release?? If there ARE any manufacturer defects, it should be taken care of by an original or extended warranty.
    Originally posted by RayUSA
    I'm going to get a Treo 600 as SOON as it is available also! I wonder how much longer the GSM version will take to come out after the CDMA release?? If there ARE any manufacturer defects, it should be taken care of by an original or extended warranty.
    If someone offers an extended warranty.

BTW, I'm getting one ASAP.

BTW#2, Did anyone else think this thread was going to be about the treo being shipped? Total downer.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I got a treo 300 the first week thy were released, and while the lid did brake, and I was having trouble with the place where you put the charger in, I worked for me for about 6 months.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage