Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by nrosser
    my data connectivity is more stable and persistent.
    but is it back to the levels you enjoyed prior to thanksgiving 2002? Perhaps the recent hunting down and killing of vision hogs have made their data network more accessible.
    David
    hmm - well maybe. Of course there's no real way to tell what has caused this seemingly-better data connectivity. Is it the updaters? One or both? Or perhaps something in the network? Dunno. All I can say is that the connection appears more solid (maybe that's just my perception) and I'm happy about that....
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Maybe they meant if your OS version is 3.5.2H6.3, it has been updated (because mine says that now). Otherwise I have to concur with others that my Phonebook version is 3.5H5.

I haven't noticed any difference with the latest upgrade, but I hadn't really noticed any difference with the 1.0 upgrade either.
    Originally posted by potatoho
    Very weird. I ran it successfully, yet my Phonebook is v.3.5H5, which is not even mentioned -- other than (or anything else).

Can someone verify that their Phonebook version has been incremented beyond v.3.5H5. I've now done the update 3 times and it hasn't changed.
    I did the update too and the PhoneBook version is v 3.5H5.
    The number 3.5.2H6.3 looks familiar and upon inspection I found that the Palm OS version is 3.5.2H6.3.

Does this mean that there was some version change in PalmOS?

Anyone who did not do the update, please tell us the PalmOS version on your treo.

-chiru
    Originally posted by nrosser
    hmm - well maybe.
    Back on 12-17-02 you wrote:

> ...it's the network. Anything having to do with data
    > worked great until just before Thanksgiving. I'm waiting
    > and hoping that Sprint will get it back to how it was....
    > tryin' to be patient.

Now you say "Thanksgiving levels - question mark". If you don't recall your 10 previous posts which include the thanksgiving data complaint, then perhaps the REAL nrosser has been abducted by aliens and YOU SIR are an imposter!
    David
    I do remember reading a post by nrosser re pre-thanksgiving data connectivity because I started the thread. Anyway, I don't think anybody should conclude that the updates improve connectivity. I haven't done any updates and every so often persistent connectivity (true always on) occurs every few days or so.

Here's fuel for the fire: I think HS released this update that doesn't do anything because Sprint disclosed that they made some upgrades (so to speak) to their vision network - so it appears that the update resulted in better connectivity and speed. Everybody with Treos were complaining about the lack of support from HS, so they release this placebo to demonstrate that the next generation (Treo 600) will get adequate support and hence more sales.

Comments???
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Too much is being read into that question mark. I didn't put it there to say that I was questioning the issue of data stuff around Thxgiving of last year. I just put it there as an answer to the prior post asking me if things were better or worse than when the issues started last Thxgiving. That's all.
    I am impressed, however, that my post from 12-17-02 was dragged back into current day.
    Sorry, the update does do something to the Treo - it changes the firmware rev. no.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    My phonebook version reads v.3.5H5 too. Still not sure if this update was loaded properly?
    The Treo 300 Updater 1.0.1 is a new version of the Treo 300 Updater. It includes all improvements in version 1.0, and adds the automatic error acknowledgement described above.
    The update only claims to add one thing: the auto error acknowledgment. Which is a godsend! The rest of the stuff is from the 1.0 update which is also included in 1.0.1.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I have not yet run the current update and my Palm OS version is 3.5.2H6.2 and PhoneBook is 3.5H5.
    Originally posted by motown55
    I have not yet run the current update and my Palm OS version is 3.5.2H6.2 and PhoneBook is 3.5H5.
    Thanx motown55.

This means that the latest Treo updater does some enhancements to PalmOS or may be I am wrong. Anyone know what the numbers after H signify (i.e. H6.2 or H6.3 in PalmOS version 3.5.2H6.2 and 3.5.2H6.3)

-chiru
    I haven't installed either update. My PRL is 10015, my firmware is 1.02, and my Palm OS is 3.5.2H6.0. So it appears that this update does do something to the Palm OS...
    Originally posted by richlee91
    Can someone extract the prc from this update and do a compare with the older update. (I don't have the older update anymore)

The only change I've seen is the PRL going to 10019
    I did a comparison between 1.00 and 1.01. The only "app" which is changed is NetMasterLibrary, which accounts for the auto error acknowledge. Perhaps there are other fixes in it too. Looks like the kernel was also changed, at least the version was upped. And the firmware upgrade now includes PRL 10019 as you mentioned rather than 10018.
    What do y'all think of this.....

HotSync
    Move backup directory contents to another location
    Do a hard reset
    Install updater
    HotSync
    Examine backup dir for new contents and reconcile with old contents
    Do another hard reset
    HotSync

The updater just updates firmware, right? Wouldn't this be easier that deleteing apps and reinstalling later?
    Originally posted by manorton
    The updater just updates firmware, right? Wouldn't this be easier that deleteing apps and reinstalling later?
    Can you explain a little about what you want? If you are only concerned with determining which files have changed, I have already transfered the 1.00 and 1.01 ROMs to the emulator and run a Filez report. Then I went through and compared file sizes and looked for new stuff etc. NetMasterLibrary was the only file which was different. That and the kernel. The radio firmware is still 1.21 which is what update 1.00 gives you, well except for the updated PRL.
    OK, I've got sort of a Palm newbie question, which I've been ashamed to ask but here goes...

When the last update hit the scene, I saw a post by someone here that mentioned using Filez to make sure the backup bits were set to ensure that you got all of your apps back. I did that but wasn't sure if I should set all of the backup bits for each and every file. I ended up having to reinstall a couple of apps that I didn't do this for. Now, here we are again, and I have to ask this question: Should all files be set to backup? There are a bunch of what I would call "ancillary" files that are not set to backup (e.g. - Blazer Cache, BLHistory, DatebookDB, LogDB, Net Prefs, etc.). Should I just go ahead and set every single file in my Palm to backup, or is it, in fact, important for some of these to not be set to backup?

Thanks,

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Scott,

Databases which are synchronized with a conduit, i.e. DatebookDB, shouldn't have the backup bit set. The conduit takes care of copying the records. For files which don't go through a conduit, if the backup bit is not set then they won't be copied to the backup directory, and therefore will not be restored.

At one time the backup bit would cause a whole db to be copied at every sync, even if only one record changed. That may have improved by now but I'm not sure about that.

As for what I do, I set everything as backup except DateDB, ToDoDB, AddressDB, MemoDb, and maybe the Blazer cache files. Really though, applications are supposed to set the backup bit appropriately when they create their data files. And application files themselves are set as backup when installed via hotsync.

Edited.. It doesn't appear to do any harm in having the backup bit set for conduit files. I checked and I had several of mine set, and it still knew what to do. The conduit will take over and do its thing, which is interesting because those particular .pdb files won't go into the backup directory, despite the backup bit setting. Looks like the conduit overrides the backup mechanism. They'll be the .dat files in the address, todo, datebook directories on your computer. Ha ha, I didn't realize I'd never backed those up.
    Last edited by potatoho; 08/08/2003 at 01:35 AM.
    I am looking for the least painful way to install the update.

I have less than 2 Meg free. I'd rather not have to go though the uninstall/reinstall process for lots of apps. If it only updates the ROM then I was think on using a hard reset to clear it then using the previous contents of the backup dir on the PC to reload everything via HotSync after another Hard reset.

What did y'all do?

Originally posted by potatoho

Can you explain a little about what you want? If you are only concerned with determining which files have changed, I have already transfered the 1.00 and 1.01 ROMs to the emulator and run a Filez report. Then I went through and compared file sizes and looked for new stuff etc. NetMasterLibrary was the only file which was different. That and the kernel. The radio firmware is still 1.21 which is what update 1.00 gives you, well except for the updated PRL.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    OK, so I performed the update and my Palm OS version is now 3.5.2H6.3. PhoneBook did not change though. I did have problems with the update - my phone number is now all 0s and I get a message saying I need to activate my phone. Very confused...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast