1.    #1  
    I just heard from my contact at Sprint that the move from shortmail to SMS should occur in about 3-4 months.

I can only hope this happens.

Geoffrey
    Is there an easy way to explain the difference to a non-technical person... like me??
    im glad sprint is doing this. these types of functions can be the difference between someone choosing sprintpcs versus at&t or t-mobile.

this is going to make sprint look a lot more attractive to prospective customers, especially those who are also looking for phones delivering faster internet performance.
  4.    #4  
    I won't explain it here again. There are numerous threads on herea about this topic. If you do a search on shortmail, you should find them.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by Llynx
    Is there an easy way to explain the difference to a non-technical person... like me??
    I must be in a good mood tonight. Here we go again:

Real SMS (used by just about every carrier other than Sprint) sends a text message from a cell phone directly to the phone of the recipient. It pops up and they can view it almost instantly. You can reply and go back and forth, end of story.

Shortmail was Sprint's stupid version. Instead of going from phone to phone, you have to use a Vision portal like a WAP site (so that takes time) to write and send the message. The recipient doesn't receive the message right away. They just get a notification that they have Shortmail. They then have to go through the Vision portal (taking more time) to view the message. It sucks because there are extra steps and time involved. The only upside is that you can send and check from a computer, but that's not the point of SMS to begin with.

As if it wasn't bad enough, the Treo 300 doesn't support Shortmail correctly. The message shows up as a link that doesn't work and the Shortmail portal is nowhere to be found. Treo300SMS is an application from PDAappsthat works with the built in SMS app. When a Shortmail notification comes in, it's triggered and automatically logs into Sprint's server via the PDAapps proxy, fetches the message, and displays it on the phone. This simulates a true SMS experience. It's not quite there because it still takes some some time for all those steps, but at least it's automated.

Supposedly Sprint will be switching over to true SMS. We've been waiting for a long time for this. Even though we can communicate with other carriers by using Shortmail (shows up as normal SMS for them), it's a pain for us with all the steps and delays. Hopefully if they really get SMS, they'll be unlimited if you have unlimited Vision like it is now with Shortmail.

Any questions?
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Any questions?
    Thanks letsgoflyers ... that was very helpful. And it makes sense. Sheesh, what a cumbersome process.

Thanks letsgoflyers ... that was very helpful. And it makes sense. Sheesh, what a cumbersome process.
    You're welcome. Yeah, it is. Unless it's somehow cheaper for Sprint to run, I can't see why they would choose that over real SMS. Like I said, the only advantage I can see is being able to send and receive from your computer too. But since the whole point is that it's phone to phone messaging, it's stupid to sacrifice phone usability so you can use it from a computer too. Let's hope the SMS rumor pans out and it's not just a rumor.
  8.    #8  
    I really hope this happens. My source has been very good to me and correct about a lot of other things, so I feel this is likely the truth. Of course, dates slide due to internal factors, so it will be interesting to see if they make this current target. Then again, the target has a 1-month window in it, and I'd hope even Sprint can make that.

Geoffrey
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    I really hope this happens. My source has been very good to me and correct about a lot of other things, so I feel this is likely the truth. Of course, dates slide due to internal factors, so it will be interesting to see if they make this current target. Then again, the target has a 1-month window in it, and I'd hope even Sprint can make that.

Geoffrey
    If they implement true SMS by the end of the year, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Has your source mentioned anything about a price structure? One downside would be if they charged $5 for a bucket of SMS like other carriers do.
  10.    #10  
    I have no further information. My contact works in a different group withing Sprint PCS, so has to dig to get the information she has. I would also suspect that at this time pricing hasn't been set. It's a bit far out. I'm sure they'll look at what the rest of the industry is doing before setting pricing.

Geoffrey
    I have no further information. My contact works in a different group withing Sprint PCS, so has to dig to get the information she has. I would also suspect that at this time pricing hasn't been set. It's a bit far out. I'm sure they'll look at what the rest of the industry is doing before setting pricing.

Geoffrey
    Oh well, it was worth a shot.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

If they implement true SMS by the end of the year, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Has your source mentioned anything about a price structure? One downside would be if they charged $5 for a bucket of SMS like other carriers do.
    That's an important point. Right now b/c shortmail and text messages rely on vision, they are unlimited. I hope it doesn't cost too much to implement this in the future... Otherwise, vision + "Treo600SMS" would be a much more inexpensive option IMO...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

That's an important point. Right now b/c shortmail and text messages rely on vision, they are unlimited. I hope it doesn't cost too much to implement this in the future... Otherwise, vision + "Treo600SMS" would be a much more inexpensive option IMO...
    That's true. Especially since Treo300SMS simulates real SMS by doing everything automatically, it's not as much of a headache for as as it is for Sprint users with normal Vision phones.
  14.    #14  
    I would be surprised if Sprint kept both SMS and shortmail. I'm sure there would be an overlap period, but it would make sense to phase out shortmail.

Geoffrey
    I would be surprised if Sprint kept both SMS and shortmail. I'm sure there would be an overlap period, but it would make sense to phase out shortmail.

Geoffrey
    That would be good because I seriously doubt that when (and if) SMS rolls out, it will be bug free. I'd like to see Shortmail stick around until they've implemented SMS as well as possible and have it working well.
    By the way-Does anyone know if the shortmail is entirly free if you have unlimited vision?
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Originally posted by mwylde
    By the way-Does anyone know if the shortmail is entirly free if you have unlimited vision?
    Yes, Shortmail and one way text messages are completely free with unlimited Vision. If you don't have unlimited Vision, you don't pay by the message, you pay $.02 per kilobyte used.