Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone yet stumbled across a way to keep track of actual call lengths on the 300 yet? I know there's a few old posts on the subject, but nothing that's really of any help, and I'm curious if anyone knows of any new developments that might let us enjoy this ludicrously simple feature, as it annoys the hell out of me not having it.

Also, I read a post that mentioned that Agendus (by iambic) could be used to keep track of call lengths, but as of yet, I can't figure this out using the latest release of the program. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place, but it sure doesn't seem very integrated with the Treo to me...

Any thoughts on this one at all?
    Not sure I understand exactly what you want.

An individual call's length can be found in call history. There are a few Palm utilities that calculates your usage vs your calling plan, one of them is CellPlan. There is also a Windows program called Comet that allows you to monitor call history, cost, etc by reading the call history db from your hotsync folder.
    I think I know what NocTurnerV is talking about. If you go to Call History and tap Details on a call, it doesn't actually show how many minutes the call lasted. It just shows the starting time. I agree, it's ludicrous.
    Originally posted by potatoho
    I think I know what NocTurnerV is talking about. If you go to Call History and tap Details on a call, it doesn't actually show how many minutes the call lasted. It just shows the starting time. I agree, it's ludicrous.
    Wow. It sure does show it on the 180 and 270!

The fields on the Call Details screen on my 270 are:

Name
    Number
    Date
    Time
    Duration
    Roaming

What do you have on the 300?
    Last edited by silverado; 08/04/2003 at 08:14 PM.
  5.    #5  
    This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Every cell-phone I've ever, ever, ever owned has been able to tell me when I made a call, who I called, and how long that particular call lasted (in minutes). The Treo 300 can tell me when I made/received a call, and whom I called, but now how long that call lasted, and I think that's a damn obvious feature to just be missing.

The reason I bring it up, though, is because other Treo's *can* view this info (I know the 270 on T-Mobile sure can), so I've never understood why a Sprint-branded Treo 300 can't, and I'm wondering if anyone's come up with a simple app to view this info on your handheld; a desktop solution is just too clumsy for my tastes.
    Also -- Boo! on Handspring for not fixing that with the 1.21 update.
    Originally posted by silverado
    What do you have on the 300?
    Name
    Number
    Date
    Time
    Roaming
    Ha HA! I loaded up the Treo 600 CDMA simulator with my PhoneCallDB.PDB from my 300. It still doesn't show duration!

I put my same 300's database on the Treo 600 GSM simulator, and it does have duration. Boggles the mind, huh.
    Last edited by potatoho; 08/04/2003 at 08:34 PM.
    Ha HA! I loaded up the Treo 600 CDMA simulator with my PhoneCallDB.PDB from my 300. It still doesn't show duration!

I put my same 300's database on the Treo 600 GSM simulator, and it does have duration. Boggles the mind, huh.
    This can't be a Sprint requirement, right? I've never used Sprint, but I can't imagine such a requirement. Also NocTurnerV said that all his phones usually did.

By the way, the 270 tells you the call duration in minutes and seconds (not just minutes).
    Last edited by silverado; 08/04/2003 at 09:31 PM.
    The lack of this feature has bugged me also. The Kyo6035 did show call duration (IIRC). The Samsung i300 did not show duration( but I just thought this was an ommission of lame-o Samsung), but I was shocked to find out the Treo300 did not. And now the Treo600 will not (for CDMA). Obviously the phone can do it, it seems like a very logical thing for a cell phone to keep track of. Has anyone every asked this question to to Handspring. Is is a plot of Sprint to now want thier customers to have any idea of how many minutes they have used?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Carl
    "takephone" is a phonebook app that also shows call duration.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    Is is a plot of Sprint to now want thier customers to have any idea of how many minutes they have used?
    This seems to be the mostly widely suggested theory, although I'm not sure I buy it; if Sprint doesn't want you keeping track of your minutes, then why does EVERY other phone that they sell/support offer this seemingly universal feature? I don't think it's a case of Sprint "keepin' the man down" or anything like that, but I can't quite figure out a better reason.

Would the difference between CDMA and GSM/GPRS radio modules cause some sort of software conflict that might account for it? Does anyone want to shoot Handspring an e-mail to inquire, perhaps?
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV

This seems to be the mostly widely suggested theory, although I'm not sure I buy it; if Sprint doesn't want you keeping track of your minutes, then why does EVERY other phone that they sell/support offer this seemingly universal feature? I don't think it's a case of Sprint "keepin' the man down" or anything like that, but I can't quite figure out a better reason.

Would the difference between CDMA and GSM/GPRS radio modules cause some sort of software conflict that might account for it? Does anyone want to shoot Handspring an e-mail to inquire, perhaps?
    Do other VISION phones show call duration?
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by 003oret
    "takephone" is a phonebook app that also shows call duration.
    Can I ask where in TakePhone this info is displayed? I had played with the program a bit in the past, and never saw anything about call duration on my Treo 300; maybe I missed it, though. Could you explain to me how you found it on there?

And to answer Silverado's question: YES, every other VISION phone I've owned/used has displayed this information very easily, which is why it doesn't seem that Sprint is trying to hide it from us!
    It has to be deliberate. When I took my Treo 300 database over to the Treo 600 GSM simulator it shows all of the proper durations on the screen, so the information is being stored in the CDMA database.

Can I ask where in TakePhone this info is displayed? I had played with the program a bit in the past, and never saw anything about call duration on my Treo 300; maybe I missed it, though. Could you explain to me how you found it on there?

And to answer Silverado's question: YES, every other VISION phone I've owned/used has displayed this information very easily, which is why it doesn't seem that Sprint is trying to hide it from us!
    With TakePhone, one of the screens it replaces in the phone app is the call history. Go to call history, highlight an entry, click details. It's shows:

Name:
    Phone #:
    Date:
    Time:
    Length:

Does anyone want to shoot Handspring an e-mail to inquire, perhaps?
    I already did last night. I will post any replies to this thread.
    Carl
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

With TakePhone, one of the screens it replaces in the phone app is the call history. Go to call history, highlight an entry, click details. It's shows:

Name:
    Phone #:
    Date:
    Time:
    Length:
    Are you using TakePhone on a 300, or on a 270? Because on my 300, TakePhone simply links up to the existing call history, but it doesn't replace it. And, consequently, it doesn't add in any information about call length, either!

Are you using TakePhone on a 300, or on a 270? Because on my 300, TakePhone simply links up to the existing call history, but it doesn't replace it. And, consequently, it doesn't add in any information about call length, either!
    I'm using it on a Treo 300. Check to see what version of TakePhone you have. I'm using the latest one, 5.04zn. Maybe older versions didn't do this. Also go through your preferences to make sure you have TakePhone's call history enabled.
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

I'm using it on a Treo 300. Check to see what version of TakePhone you have. I'm using the latest one, 5.04zn. Maybe older versions didn't do this. Also go through your preferences to make sure you have TakePhone's call history enabled.
    Ahhhh...mine's 4.62, upon looking. Maybe that explains it. I'll see if I can find my receipt and try getting the update, and let you know what I find. Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast