Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21  
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV


    Ahhhh...mine's 4.62, upon looking. Maybe that explains it. I'll see if I can find my receipt and try getting the update, and let you know what I find. Thanks!
    No problem.
  2. jmw
    jmw is offline
    jmw's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    #22  
    Yes, the omission of this feature is absolutely deliberate on Sprint's part.

    I have been through this with Handspring before - with their "Digital Link" sprint phone. The omission of the call duration was part of their contract with Sprint.

    Sprint does not want you to know how many minutes you have used. That is why their website does not necessarily give you accurate stats, that's why Sprint's CS *tells* you that the website cannot be used as a trustworthy source. The only way to truly know how many minutes you have used is to call *2 and usually be put on hold for 20 minutes, which absolutely no one is willing to do just to find out their usage.
    And that is why Sprint forced handspring to leave this feature out.

    Does anyone know if the call duration can be deduced by another program from the info stored in the database?

    Also, I was under the impression that call duration is not recorded by *any* sprint phone. I have seen probably a dozen models over the last few years, and none of them have had this feature. Can anyone tell me which specific models have this feature?

    jmw
  3. #23  
    Originally posted by jmw
    Yes, the omission of this feature is absolutely deliberate on Sprint's part.

    I have been through this with Handspring before - with their "Digital Link" sprint phone. The omission of the call duration was part of their contract with Sprint.

    Sprint does not want you to know how many minutes you have used. That is why their website does not necessarily give you accurate stats, that's why Sprint's CS *tells* you that the website cannot be used as a trustworthy source. The only way to truly know how many minutes you have used is to call *2 and usually be put on hold for 20 minutes, which absolutely no one is willing to do just to find out their usage.
    And that is why Sprint forced handspring to leave this feature out.

    Does anyone know if the call duration can be deduced by another program from the info stored in the database?

    Also, I was under the impression that call duration is not recorded by *any* sprint phone. I have seen probably a dozen models over the last few years, and none of them have had this feature. Can anyone tell me which specific models have this feature?

    jmw
    My last phone was the LG Touchpoint 3000 when I was too poor to buy a real Palm smartphone. That kept call logs including duration. As far as the Treo 300 goes, I was saying to get TakePhone. It replaces the built in phone app with a much nicer and efficient one. It also replaces the built in call history and its version keeps track of the durations of the calls.
  4. #24  
    Just want to mention that Comet also displays the call duration and more. (This is done on the desktop where you can archive, group, export, etc. your call history log with each hotsync).
  5. #25  
    Well..... below is the reply I got from Handspring..... seems like the information minister they have answering emails used to work for Sprint and before that Iraq!:





    Dear Carl Galgano,


    Thank you for contacting Handspring Wireless Support.

    We understand that you would like the CDMA version of Treo 600 to have the call duration in the call history.

    We would like to thank you for the suggestion. We will forward this suggestion to the concerned department.

    If you have any other queries, please email us again, quoting the case number 3977161 in the subject line of the email. This will assist us in tracking your case history, and for further troubleshooting.

    If you would like the latest updates and news concerning our products, please sign up for our free eNewsletter at www.handspring.com.

    Additionally, you can also find troubleshooting articles, FAQ's and downloads at www.handspring.com/support.

    Thank you,
    Mary
    Handspring Wireless Support
    Carl
  6. #26  
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    Well..... below is the reply I got from Handspring..... seems like the information minister they have answering emails used to work for Sprint and before that Iraq!:





    Dear Carl Galgano,


    Thank you for contacting Handspring Wireless Support.

    We understand that you would like the CDMA version of Treo 600 to have the call duration in the call history.

    We would like to thank you for the suggestion. We will forward this suggestion to the concerned department.

    If you have any other queries, please email us again, quoting the case number 3977161 in the subject line of the email. This will assist us in tracking your case history, and for further troubleshooting.

    If you would like the latest updates and news concerning our products, please sign up for our free eNewsletter at www.handspring.com.

    Additionally, you can also find troubleshooting articles, FAQ's and downloads at www.handspring.com/support.

    Thank you,
    Mary
    Handspring Wireless Support
    In other words, "We know you want it, but you ain't gettin' it!"
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by Bryan Nystrom
    Just want to mention that Comet also displays the call duration and more. (This is done on the desktop where you can archive, group, export, etc. your call history log with each hotsync).
    Yeah, I'm familiar with Comet, and although it's quite nice, it's not what I wanted myself. Basically, I want something that will just add the call length into the existing call history on the device, not onto the desktop. TakePhone seems to do this, so I can at least use that to keep track of call lengths when I have to.

    And by the by, it's nice to know there's fellow Treo users not more than 20 minutes away...I'm over in Westmont, myself. Have you had any problems in this area at all? I've yet to run into anything extreme....
  8. #28  
    Also, I was under the impression that call duration is not recorded by *any* sprint phone. I have seen probably a dozen models over the last few years, and none of them have had this feature. Can anyone tell me which specific models have this feature?
    I've been with Sprint a long time (5 yrs). All my phones displayed call durations. The latest before my 300 was the KYO 6035. Before that the DENSO phone, before that the original Sony CDMA phone. IMO, Sprint is not trying to hide this information. Something just got screwed up somewhere.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  9. #29  
    Originally posted by jmw

    Sprint does not want you to know how many minutes you have used. That is why their website does not necessarily give you accurate stats, that's why Sprint's CS *tells* you that the website cannot be used as a trustworthy source. The only way to truly know how many minutes you have used is to call *2 and usually be put on hold for 20 minutes, which absolutely no one is willing to do just to find out their usage.
    And that is why Sprint forced handspring to leave this feature out.

    jmw
    Assuming you're correct, what would be the motivation for Sprint to do this? Knowing the amount of available minutes in your plan is a basic feature of any mobile phone, and can't understand why any wireless provider would want to mess with this... I agree with ChemEngr that this was probably the result of stupidity rather than any conspiracy to confuse treo300 users...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10. #30  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic


    Assuming you're correct, what would be the motivation for Sprint to do this? Knowing the amount of available minutes in your plan is a basic feature of any mobile phone, and can't understand why any wireless provider would want to mess with this... I agree with ChemEngr that this was probably the result of stupidity rather than any conspiracy to confuse treo300 users...
    If you don't know how many minutes you've used and you can't check the website or *4, then you don't know how many you've used and it would be easier to go over your minutes.
  11. #31  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic


    I agree with ChemEngr that this was probably the result of stupidity rather than any conspiracy to confuse treo300 users...
    And we all know, Sprint is good at stupidity.
    Carl
  12. #32  
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano

    And we all know, Sprint is good at stupidity.
    One word, Shortmail.
  13. #33  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81


    If you don't know how many minutes you've used and you can't check the website or *4, then you don't know how many you've used and it would be easier to go over your minutes.
    So you're saying this is a conspriacy by Sprint to make Treo300 users purposefully and unwittingly go over their minutes?! C'mon thats silly... Furthermore, I think you have way too much confidence in the capacity of Sprint to be soo sneaky. I think its more plausible that they were just incompetant personally...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14. #34  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Knowing the amount of available minutes in your plan is a basic feature of any mobile phone, and can't understand why any wireless provider would want to mess with this...
    Sprint has a monthly SMS service which tells you your remaining minutes. It's $2.99/mo for a daily reminder, and $1.99/mo for a weekly reminder.
  15. jmw
    jmw is offline
    jmw's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    #35  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic


    Assuming you're correct, what would be the motivation for Sprint to do this? Knowing the amount of available minutes in your plan is a basic feature of any mobile phone, and can't understand why any wireless provider would want to mess with this... I agree with ChemEngr that this was probably the result of stupidity rather than any conspiracy to confuse treo300 users...
    What would be their motivation?

    Um, how about money?

    Sprint charges 40 cents a minute when you go over your alloted monthly limit. They make TONS of money off this.

    That's why *4 and the website are inaccurate, because they can just claim that it's a technical hurdle. But customer service will only tell you this when you call to complain that you went over your minutes after *4 said you were fine. They told me that the only truly accurate numbers are given by CS representatives on *2, for which you must wait for an available rep.

    It's a scam. At least i'm onto it now. But they did scam me out of $30 the first month I went over. Any company who tells you that its own website content cannot be trusted, well, they cannot be trusted.

    The absence of call duration on many phones is, in my opinion, part of this scam. Anytime sprint has a say in the software of the phone, they seem to leave this feature out. Just ask Handspring. After a lot of research into this matter, I found out that Handspring was not *allowed* to add this feature, because their contract with Sprint specifically forbade them to do it.

    It was not an oversight. I don't have proof, but i'd put money on it.

    jmw
  16. #36  
    I just checked a TP5250 (LG) that I activated for my kids to use.... sure enought, no call duration. The only phone I remember this being a feature on was my TP3000 and Kyo6035.I
    Carl
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions