1.    #1  
    Just wanted to let you guys know that Sprint started looking for people who hookup their phones to a computer. One of my friends who has been using a Samsung A500 for a few months, received a phone call this morning from Sprint PCS stating that his Vision service has been terminated (his voice account stayed).
    The bottom line is Sprint doesn't need any more beta testers. They've ascertained that the concept works. Thanks everyone for participating in the unauthorized voluntary test, however, now it's time to cover the program up and state that the test never existed, and any allegations to the contrary would be unamerican.
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    The bottom line is Sprint doesn't need any more beta testers. They've ascertained that the concept works. Thanks everyone for participating in the unauthorized voluntary test, however, now it's time to cover the program up and state that the test never existed, and any allegations to the contrary would be unamerican.
    The rules existed from the beginning and everyone knew what they were getting into. People on here talked about using their Treo and Vision as their only internet connection and canceling their broadband lines. No one in their right mind should expect this to be right or to continue.
    It's always been a cloudy issue. The Advantage Agreement would say you can't do it, but Sprint reps would be whispering in our ears that we could and tell us what kind of cables and drivers to get. Depending on when people signed up, it's most likely against the AA we signed. Sprint won't really care if you sign on to do some light browsing, check some e-mail, do some chatting, etc. But the people that use it as an ISP and do an enormous amount of downloading, that's just irresponsible. Over on www.sprintusers.com there are some Sprint reps talking about cases where people have gone through many gigabytes within a few months. Sprint doesn't really know what you're connecting for, but when you transfer that much data, it's not hard to figure out. Bottom line, be careful and don't go overboard and you should be fine.
    Well said letsgoflyers81,

That is the name of the game...

-rob
    One other thing about this, it's the Advantage Agreement that says not to hook a phone up to a computer or PDA. But that's not what the AA is supposed to do. It only states that we must follow the ToS. There shouldn't be any terms and conditions in the AA itself. Because of that, we're not actually breaking the ToS. If anyone had the time or money to have a lawyer take a look at this, anyone who had Vision cancelled could sue Sprint and would probably win. There's a chance that bringing that up could render the same result and the WLNP issue. But I think it would just be easier not to use Kazaa from your Sprint phone.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    not to use Kazaa from your Sprint phone.
    Two wrongs don't make a right.
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Did I say they did?
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Did I say they did?
    No. I think the writer was referring to the fact that using Kazaa is wrong, and using broadband over your Treo is wrong. I thought it was clever.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    No. I think the writer was referring to the fact that using Kazaa is wrong, and using broadband over your Treo is wrong. I thought it was clever.
    Oh, that makes sense. For some reason I didn't get it. I think that's my cue to go to bed.
    I'm soooooo sick of this whole damned situation personally. I would rather Sprint just raise the price of vision and allow us to use our phones as modems with peace already. Why not price match Tmo unlimited data add-on or perhaps offer it for like $5-10 premium above Tmo b/c of the superiority of 1xrtt over gprs? All this convoluted crap about not really allowing it... but not really enforcing it...but only enforcing it if you over due it...and yada yada yada is simply riduculous. If Sprint was really adamant about enforcing the no-modem policy, then they should have done so from the bloody beginning instead creating this nebulous ambiguity, The fact is they've been trying have it both ways, and it just can't work anymore. They want to maintain their lucrative enterprise air card business while at the same time quell the rising ire of they consumer market which sees much more flexible alternatives out there... Namely T mobile's unlimted data add-on plans. For a long time they've been able to get away with this scheme b/c no other provider until Tmo recently offered any comparable data plan. But obviously that has now changed and I think Sprint has to realize that people will not take kindly to having a feature like using mobile as modem (even if explicitly stated as against the rules) is taken away after allowing it for so long. The fact is that many people have now become accustomed to this feature and want the ability to use. I would much rather pay the extra M$ PPCPE charges if it meant I could use vision any damned way I wanted. I wonder if Sprint understands any of this? Up till now the two major things that have kept me with Sprint have been the unlimited data plans and superior speed of vision. But with other companies now offering unlimited data plans and others like ATT also rumored to begin, I think I would be willing to trade the speed of 1xrtt for the flexibilty these gprs plans offer... Additionally once gsm providers eventually transfer to EDGE, the technical superiority of vision will also disappear...I wonder if that's when Sprint finally gets the hint...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Translation: I knew what the rules were from the beginning, but I decided to see if I could get away with breaking them without getting caught. Lo and behold I got away with breaking the rules without being punished for several months, and I kinda got used to it. Now they are starting to enforce the rules, and I don't like it. Don't they understand that I got used to breaking the rules, and they're pissing me off by enforcing them now? I sure wish they'd change the rules.

Okay...personally I like the $10 option because I am not that heavy a data user, but I understand that there are those who might want another option for heavier data use that costs less than $99/mo. Still, I'm not persuaded by the above argument that Sprint is doing anything wrong. They set up the rules in the beginning, and now that they've got their sh*t together they are enforcing them. Seems reasonable...after all, even on a land line truly unlimited 56K network time costs more than $10/month.
    Originally posted by scrinch
    Translation: I knew what the rules were from the beginning, but I decided to see if I could get away with breaking them without getting caught. Lo and behold I got away with breaking the rules without being punished for several months, and I kinda got used to it. Now they are starting to enforce the rules, and I don't like it. Don't they understand that I got used to breaking the rules, and they're pissing me off by enforcing them now? I sure wish they'd change the rules.

Okay...personally I like the $10 option because I am not that heavy a data user, but I understand that there are those who might want another option for heavier data use that costs less than $99/mo. Still, I'm not persuaded by the above argument that Sprint is doing anything wrong. They set up the rules in the beginning, and now that they've got their sh*t together they are enforcing them. Seems reasonable...after all, even on a land line truly unlimited 56K network time costs more than $10/month.
    I would empathize with Sprint if there was EVER a time where the policy was clearly stated and enforced. The rule, regardless of where it was stated, has been extremely vague. It was clear at one time, then they re-worded it to include Vision Packs and then it became really hard to figure it out. However, the worst part is that even if the rule was explicitly clear, many many people have had a Sprint rep tell them that it's OK to use your phone as a modem. I have personally had a Sprint rep tell me that it's OK, just don't go overboard and I have nothing to worry about. Unless there are a handful of "bad apples" telling this to thousands of us, then there's a significant number of reps doing this. How can you have a standard business practice of employees advising customers that it's acceptable to break the rules. Not only that, but you can download drivers from www.sprintpcs.com that allow you to use your phone as a modem. If it's wrong and against the rules, why would Sprint provide software to facailitate such use? If Sprint wants to start nailing people for this, they should change the policy, make it clear and give us all a nice big warning, have ALL REPS provide the same information, and for God's sake, don't provide hardware or software to let us do it.
    Originally posted by scrinch

First of all, I clearly stated that I would be willng to pay for the ability to use vision on my laptop/pda if given a fair market price. The idea that until recently the only two opitons from Sprint were the restictive $10 add-on or the $100 plan is absolutely ridiculous. Secondly, a rule must be enforced to have any meaning. In this case, not only did Sprint not enforce their rules, they looked away and in some cases even confused the matter by making some beleive that what they were doing was acceptable with in certain limits as letsgoflyers81 stated. (I myself was told by SprintPCS reps on several occasions that using my mobile to connect to a PC was 'possible' and 'okay' if done 'once in a while') Now anyone who wanted to use their mobiles as modems had to figure out on their own what those limits were with out any clear indication from Sprint. You call this clear and understandable?!! When everyone and their mother is using vision for their pc's/pda's, and when apps like PDAnet and wireless modem are widely known, and if Sprint doesn't enforce their rules, then what kind of expectations do you think consumers start to have regarding its use?

My basic gripe is that I don't want to bother with this nonsense anymore and want an option to use vision on my phone as I want for a fair price. Right now its's either $15 extra for equivlaent plan with vision or $60-100 bucks with limited amounts of data using an air card. On the other hand, T mobile is offerring an unlimited data plan using GPRS for $30 USD! I realize 1xrtt is faster than gprs, but can someone really argue that Sprint's data plan rates are competitve anymore especially if they want to enforce the AA? Sprint needs to wake up IMO...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The frightening part of all this, to me, is getting stuck with a pricey phone, like the SPH-i500. I don't think you can transfer it to another service. And this phone without Vision woudn't be that great. I sure hope they give 2nd chances to offenders. I called Sprint the other day asking about the difference between the Dialer and Messenger software that can be downloaded from Sprint, and the rep assured me that using this software (which, I believe, lets your phone act as a modem but doesn't work for Treo) was perfectly valid, free, and unlimited. Given that, it seems cruel to cut folks off so abruptly when they are over some arbitrary and unstated boundary. Why is using a phone that works with Dialer software, provided by Sprint, allowed but using other software that does the same thing not allowed? (Note: I'm not sure what Dialer does but I think it is for modeming.
    Originally posted by kattanm
    The frightening part of all this, to me, is getting stuck with a pricey phone, like the SPH-i500. I don't think you can transfer it to another service. And this phone without Vision woudn't be that great. I sure hope they give 2nd chances to offenders. I called Sprint the other day asking about the difference between the Dialer and Messenger software that can be downloaded from Sprint, and the rep assured me that using this software (which, I believe, lets your phone act as a modem but doesn't work for Treo) was perfectly valid, free, and unlimited. Given that, it seems cruel to cut folks off so abruptly when they are over some arbitrary and unstated boundary. Why is using a phone that works with Dialer software, provided by Sprint, allowed but using other software that does the same thing not allowed? (Note: I'm not sure what Dialer does but I think it is for modeming.
    That's exactly my point. How are we supposed to take a rule seriously and abide by it if the reps tell us otherwise? And I think there should definitely be a warning before cutting of Vision. The SPH-i500 is dual band, tri-mode. So if Verizon felt like allowing you to do so, it could be used on their network. I just don't know how well or if at all their Express Network would work on it.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Originally posted by kattanm
    While a new Treo user (purchased 2 June 2003 and quite grateful to this board and community for helping me figure things out) I have been a Sprint PCS customer for several years. Before my Treo I used a Motorola P8767-StarTac (non-vision) phone with the free “Web Connection Kit” software provided by Sprint. This software is the same as the various “dialers” which are available on www.sprintpcs.com and are for use with non-Vision phones under the Wireless Web plan (I paid $5 USD per month).

Essentially, the software on Sprint’s site, as explained to me while using my P8767 was for using your mobile telephone to dial into whatever ISP/modem you wished and the minutes used would be deducted from your account. I used this system for more than 18-months and was dialed in for hours at a time. Granted, the speed was about that of a 14.4 modem maybe a bit more but, sufficient to check E-mail (via Lotus Notes) and do very minor surfing in an emergency. Despite the slow speed, I used the software extensively with no negative effects or extra fees. My laptop saw the mobile phone as a modem and it worked like a charm.

Upon purchase of my Treo, I read through this entire board for info on using a Treo as a modem. PDANet was one of several options available but, I couldn’t use it to dial into my corporate modem without risk of a surcharge. Upon further investigation, I called Sprint PCS and was advised that: I would either have to reconnect my P8767 and use Wireless Web to connect to my laptop and pay the related fees (third line plus Wireless Web) or pay .39 cents (US) per minute for every minute I’m using my Treo as a modem (which they don’t support or recommend). They did say I could dial into #777 with no problems from my laptop (but wouldn't tell me how) so long as I did not “abuse” the system.

Bottom line (as explained by Sprint CS): The dialers on Sprint's Website are for use by non-vision phones using Wireless Web.

I hope this helps and thanks for all of the valuable info you folks have put into the forums.
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre