1.    #1  
    this morning I opened up my dallas paper to find this lil gem..

(by the way, I should tell you that I emailed the author, he is a bigtime treotype geek and an all around good guy, I wont post his email addy here to protect him from sp*m that would inevitably result)

Ahh, the open road and a carload of toys

Gadget freak vacation: laptop, iPod, scanner and lots of batteries

08/03/2003

By JIM ROSSMAN / The Dallas Morning News

Road trip.

Those two words might bring up old memories of endless hours in the backseat of a station wagon with your parents. Or it may conjure fantasies of hitting the open road on a motorcycle.

If you are a computer professional, you may think it will be a break from the keyboard and other electronics. Maybe not.

My vacation was going to be a relaxing two-week lap around the middle of the country with my wife in our Miata.

For those of you not familiar with the Mazda Miata, it's a two-seater convertible that's long on fun and woefully short on trunk space.

Packing became a challenge, especially when I realized just how many gadgets I wanted to bring along. Gadgets also need accessories, such as cables and battery chargers.

Here is what I brought and what I learned from the trip about hitting the road with your gadgets.

Apple PowerBook G4

It was tempting to leave the laptop at home going computer free for two weeks but the benefits of carting along a computer soon became apparent.

I brought my Apple PowerBook G4 with a 15-inch LCD.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs touts the Macintosh as a digital hub, and now I really understand the concept.

We used the PowerBook for Internet access and e-mail, but I quickly found I used it more for off-loading digital photos and video.

After a long day on the road, I was often too busy or too tired to surf the Web, but I did make time to off-load the 100 or so pictures we took each day.

Don't forget to bring along a memory card reader to transfer your photos. Laptops with a PC card slot can use a memory card adapter. Those without a slot can use a USB or FireWire card reader.

Internet access really came in handy when it was time to make hotel reservations.

After our first night, I started using the Internet to make the next night's reservation.

I scoured Travelocity.com and various hotel Web sites to make sure we had the best possible room rate.

Don't forget to update the nationwide list of dial-up numbers for your ISP. I used eight AT&T dial-up numbers during the trip.

Every hotel we used had a data port on the side of the room phone. Don't use the wall jack because the hotel's phone system is probably digital and the line's extra power will electrocute your modem.

Canon LIDE 30 flatbed scanner

None of my friends could believe I was taking a scanner on vacation, but I had a great reason.

Our first destination was suburban Chicago to visit my grandmother and many of my relatives. My aunt, Sharon Rossman, has been compiling a series of family photo albums, using photos that belonged to my great-grandmother.

They are very valuable photos, and I wanted copies. The easiest, cheapest way was to scan them myself.

The Canon LIDE 30 scanner is about the same size as the PowerBook. It connects to the computer through a single USB cable for data and power.

The scanner took up some precious cargo space, but the photos of my father with shoulder-length curls when he was 3 were well worth the inconvenience.

If anyone else is ambitious enough to bring a scanner on vacation, be sure to lock the scan head in place to prevent damage. The lock switch will be on the bottom of the scanner.

Handspring Treo 300

My Treo 300 is a Palm PDA as well as a Sprint wireless phone.

I love the phone, but it does have a few drawbacks.

The built-in battery isn't replaceable, so I had to remember to recharge it daily. I brought along charging cables for both the car and AC outlets in the hotels at night.

The Treo is also a single-band phone, which means if we ventured outside Sprint's coverage area, we couldn't roam on any other networks.

This meant days of traveling through rural Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado with absolutely no wireless phone service.

Check your phones and coverage before you leave.

If we had brought my wife's phone, which can roam, we would not have been so cut off.

Delphi Skyfi XM radio

My latest gadget is a good one.

XM Satellite Radio has been around for a few years, but it was the Skyfi system from Delphi that got me off the couch to go buy one.

The Skyfi is cradle-mounted system for home or car. I mounted the vehicle cradle in the Miata's center console.

XM provided us a hundred channels of CD-quality sound in areas too remote for AM or FM radio.

Canon PowerShot S110 Digital Elph

Our digital camera is a few years old. The PowerShot S110 Digital Elph is a 2-megapixel camera that's small enough to fit in a shirt pocket.

The Elph uses CompactFlash cards for picture storage. We brought two 256-megabyte cards. Each card can hold more than 400 pictures.

We took about 700 pictures on our 14-day trip. Off-loading the cards to the laptop was not a necessity, but it sure helped when it came time to label the photos.

Digital cameras also devour batteries.

If your camera uses AA batteries, consider bringing along a few sets of rechargeables. You'll want to get some that quick-charge in an hour so you can recharge them all at the hotel each night.

The Elph uses a small proprietary rechargeable battery. I brought along two, but one wouldn't hold a charge.

To conserve power, I turned off the LCD display and used the viewfinder. This significantly increased the number of photos we could take on a charge.

JVC digital camcorder

The gadget I used the least was the JVC digital camcorder. I haven't owned it long, and I really haven't gotten used to life behind the lens.

But I was glad I had it when my wife took my 84-year-old grandmother for a top-down ride in our Miata. I also shot some footage at Mount Rushmore, but video of a mountain just isn't that exciting.

At least we won't have to bore our friends with vacation videos.

When traveling with your camcorder, make sure you have plenty of blank tape or a computer to off-load the day's shoot. My camcorder connects to the PowerBook through a FireWire cable. I can save the footage in iMovie for later editing.

It seems every camcorder I see today has a flip-out color LCD screen. These are great, but they really drain the battery.

Because camcorder batteries are usually a special size and type, be sure to bring more than one if you plan on shooting more than an hour per day. Don't forget to bring along the charger and use it each night.

Apple iPod MP3 player

My favorite gadget is also musical. My Apple iPod MP3 player carries almost 2,000 of our favorite songs. A cassette adapter lets us play the music through the Miata's stereo.

Again, batteries must be considered.

The iPod's built-in battery can last up to 10 hours, but it recharges through a FireWire port when connected to the PowerBook.

Several companies make 12-volt vehicle adapters for the iPod so it can charge as you drive.

Power inverter

There is a common thread with all the gadgets power.

They all need power, and most of them use batteries that need to be recharged.

Keeping up with the batteries and their various chargers can be a challenge.

I used a small leather bag to keep everything organized. This made life easier moving into the hotel each night. Just be sure not to leave any chargers behind when you leave.

To maximize charging, I acquired one last gadget that made the rest a bit easier to keep going a DC-to-AC power inverter.

It draws power from your car's cigarette lighter and converts the 12-volt DC power into 110-volt AC current.

This adds a standard electrical outlet to your vehicle.

The upside is being able to charge your batteries as you cruise down the road.

The inverter can also power a laptop or a small TV/VCR to keep the kids entertained.

Inverters are sold with a power rating expressed in watts. Each item to be powered needs a specific number of watts to operate.

My PowerBook's power supply requires 65 watts. My inverter is rated for 225 watts.

Larger inverters can handle bigger loads, but larger models need a direct connection to a car battery.

Technology should be an asset, not a drag on your vacation. The key to a successful trip is to anticipate your gadget needs and plan ahead.

E-mail techhelp@dallasnews.com
  2.    #2  
    its a faux pas to post a reply to my own thread, but I should probably say that the above are copyright works by jim grossman and the dallas morning news, respectively. the article begins with the words "Ahh, the open road"..

by the way, I already wrote to jim to tell him about slide on battery's, USB chargin cables, and the like, but he seems to be pre-aware. YMMV.
    No meantion of GPS with voice prompts?
    David