Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,
    I keep reading that Handspring will offer a nice discount for those who own a Treo and want to upgrade. Think it makes sense(since I don't own a Treo) to buy a second hand discounted Treo now from Fleabay? Anyone have thoughts on what kind of Treo owner discount they are talking about? Also will the discount apply to anyone who currently owns a Treo and does it matter what carrier you will use? Thanks for the input!
  2. #2  
    If I remember what they did in the past, and I could be wrong, I think they price it at what might not be really considered a discount in some people's eyes. I think they priced it for people upgrading, at the same price as those who were getting a new activation. Phones often cost significantly more without a new plan, so in a sense, it's a discount to offer that.

    I believe that they do this without actually taking the old phone too. You just need to submit your esn #, which of course, is not eligible for another discount after that.

    I'm certainly not anticipating any huge savings and don't think it would pay off for you to buy a second hand one and come out ahead.
  3. #3  
    People have been speculating that the discount might only be $50-$100 if you own a Treo already. If that's the case it won't pay to buy one now just to trade up.
  4. jeeter's Avatar
    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #4  
    I say don't get too excited about any discounts until HS says so. As far as I can tell, all of the talk about discounts is based on what has happened previously, not on what HS says will happen now. We are also in a different economy than we were when the previous discount program was in effect.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by jeeter
    I say don't get too excited about any discounts until HS says so. As far as I can tell, all of the talk about discounts is based on what has happened previously, not on what HS says will happen now. We are also in a different economy than we were when the previous discount program was in effect.

    "At that time, we plan to offer a special upgrade program for existing Treo owners."

    From.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  6. jeeter's Avatar
    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #6  
    I stand corrected! Thanks Felipe!
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
  7. #7  
    It'll be like the old VisorPhone upgrade. People we're picking those up off ebay for like $20 and getting $100 off on a Treo. Mind you Treo's we're still pretty expensive back then, but still. If you can pick one up on the ultra-cheap, I say do it.
    -- Go Illini!
  8. #8  
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Felipe
    [B]


    "At that time, we plan to offer a special upgrade program for existing Treo owners."


    One wonders if this will apply to us 180 owners too.
  9. #9  
    They better... the Treo 180 is as much a Treo as the 270 or the 300!
  10. #10  
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by leftyStrat
    [B]
    Originally posted by Felipe



    "At that time, we plan to offer a special upgrade program for existing Treo owners."


    One wonders if this will apply to us 180 owners too.
    I don't see them excluding the Treo 180 or 180g. I suppose they could try the Treo 90 since it's not a Communicator, but I can't believe the 180 wouldn't be included.
  11. #11  
    Well, consider this...

    Say you get $100 off of the Treo 600 for being a Treo 180/270/300 owner. Great for those of us who own them, right?

    Well, it can be good for someone looking to pick one up now, as well, when you get right down to it. Run the numbers a bit...

    - New 300's are going for about $300-$330 on eBay regularly
    - Used 300's are going for $250-$300
    - 270/300's can be had for under $200 with a new contract
    - Let's guess and say the Treo 600 will come in at $500

    With those numbers (and this is all just conjecture at this point), you could conceivably buy a Treo now for $300, then drop another $500 when the 600 comes out. That puts you at $800...sucks already, doesn't it?

    But it gets better...you get $100 off for being a previous owner. $700. Then, you whip up a fancy eBay auction and sell your old one for $275, brining you down to $425; not terribly great, but better than the $500 you were looking for originally. A savings, indeed.

    Granted, these are just random figures to provide an example, but I do think it's possible to get a bit of a break in the long-run, provided you're willing to part with your current generation Treo once the 600 comes out. It may end up being a break-even scenario, too, and won't be worth the time...I really couldn't say with any certainty. But I don't think investing in a 270/300 now is going to really lose you any money down the line, but that's just my thought on the matter.
  12. jegs2's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,586 Global Posts
    #12  
    Wonder if they'll give me a discount for my Digital Link. Maybe have to work that through Sprint...
    John 3:16-18

    Handspring Visor Prism w/Digital Link -> Palm Treo 600 -> Sprint PPC 6700 -> Palm Centro -> Blackberry Tour -> Blackberry Bold 9780 -> Blackberry Torch -> Palm Treo 755p -> BlackBerry Bold 9930
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV
    Well, consider this...

    Say you get $100 off of the Treo 600 for being a Treo 180/270/300 owner. Great for those of us who own them, right?

    Well, it can be good for someone looking to pick one up now, as well, when you get right down to it. Run the numbers a bit...

    - New 300's are going for about $300-$330 on eBay regularly
    - Used 300's are going for $250-$300
    - 270/300's can be had for under $200 with a new contract
    - Let's guess and say the Treo 600 will come in at $500

    With those numbers (and this is all just conjecture at this point), you could conceivably buy a Treo now for $300, then drop another $500 when the 600 comes out. That puts you at $800...sucks already, doesn't it?

    But it gets better...you get $100 off for being a previous owner. $700. Then, you whip up a fancy eBay auction and sell your old one for $275, brining you down to $425; not terribly great, but better than the $500 you were looking for originally. A savings, indeed.

    Granted, these are just random figures to provide an example, but I do think it's possible to get a bit of a break in the long-run, provided you're willing to part with your current generation Treo once the 600 comes out. It may end up being a break-even scenario, too, and won't be worth the time...I really couldn't say with any certainty. But I don't think investing in a 270/300 now is going to really lose you any money down the line, but that's just my thought on the matter.
    I've thought about this too, but there's one problem. Treo 270s and 300s are going for $200 - $300 on Ebay NOW while the 600 isn't out yet. While the 600 is looming on the horizon, the 270 and 300 are currently the latest Treo technology. There's no telling how much the market could dry up for them between now and October. I wouldn't risk it for someone who doesn't have one already.
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81


    I've thought about this too, but there's one problem. Treo 270s and 300s are going for $200 - $300 on Ebay NOW while the 600 isn't out yet. While the 600 is looming on the horizon, the 270 and 300 are currently the latest Treo technology. There's no telling how much the market could dry up for them between now and October. I wouldn't risk it for someone who doesn't have one already.
    That's why I said that it was pure conjecture, and that a person might very well just break even on it, if nothing else. I don't think it's a clever way to save money, especially since it would require putting so much cash out up-front, but it's possible to be done. I wouldn't do it myself, though, so I guess the point's moot...lol
  15. #15  
    considering that the treo 270 is now being sold on amazon for $50 even if the discount were only $100 you would savesome money. although you would then be stuck with t-mobile

Posting Permissions