1.    #1  
    I'm writing this as a disgruntled Treo 300 owner, trying to decided whether to get excited about the '600. The thing is tempting as h*ll, but...

I'm coming up on the end of the contract on my '300. Owning it has been a nearly complete disappointment. From day one, the firmware seemed buggy - Blazer would crash for no reason, and the radio seemed to go out to lunch from time to time, requiring a warm restart to be able to receive calls. Sprint "customer service" was worthless; it took hours to get through to a human being, and when you did, they were very obviously not trained on the product. And they had this miserable tendency to nickle-and-dime you to death on anything you wanted.

About 2 months ago, the phone developed a bright yellow dot on the screen that rapidly grew to about 1/2" across. No cracks or fluid movement; obviously not shock damage.

Radio shack said it'd take about 2 weeks to get it fixed, so I called Sprint to get the account moved to another phone. Given the choices of paying $36 to move the account or committing to another year's service, I opted to go phoneless for 2 weeks.

2 weeks came and went, so I called the service center and found out that Radio Shack doesn't bother to inventory theLCD, so they sent it off to Handspring. Expect it back in 2 more weeks.

After another week, I called for an update, and found out that they woudn't honor the warranty, and wanted $180 to fix it. With the street price on a new one only about $200, I couldn't even remotely imagine paying that.

So, I took it back, and I'm putting up with the Big Yellow Dot until my contract is up.

But here's the dilemma: I'm hopelessly hooked on the idea of cell/Palm integration - no way I'll ever go back to separates.

So, do I trust Handspring to have gotten it right this time, and fork over another $$???, for the GPRS version this time (there being no way in h*ll I'd ever give Sprint another dime), or do I wait for the Samsung SGH-i500?

One mitigating factor is that there was some press about Handspring offering upgrade discounts for existing Treo owners. Looked at that way, I might rationalize the discount to be an apology for inflicting the '300 on us, and succumb.

So, will the '600 be the flagship product that fixes everything that's wrong with the '300? Or will it be more of the same?

I'm really tempted, but part of me is hesitant to trust them a second time.

Comments?

-lr

_lr_ at yahoo.com
    I am sorry you have had such a bad experience with your 300. And it is true that Sprint's CS is less than stellar. Those who have had good experiences with them are the exception, not the rule. My first 300 was bad. I turned it in and got a replacement (my speaker died on mine) and the newer one has been MUCH better. I do think the earliest batch of Treo 300's were the worst.

Now having said that, yes you should get a 600. it would make sense that Handspring would make it better. I also believe that resellers will be much more educated. A lot has been written about the 600, how could they not be?

One last thing. Most carriers will have some sort of "no questions asked" return policy. I believe Sprint's is 2 weeks. Get one and if you are not happy return it. You can probably transfer your contract to another of their phones.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    The first run of Treo 180s were flaky too. Mine was, I got one of the first ones. A month or two later Handspring released an update that fixed the issues, mainly battery life.

Considering the time Handspring has had to develop this product, it better be damn good. Also, the press and stuff I'm seeing shows the Handspring put a lot of effort into the product. The stuff about the keyboard keys shows that. The fact that they are offering a rebate and already at a good price makes me feel good about it.

I don't think bad customer service is just with the Sprint people. Everyone has had a bad experience with customer service at their cell phone company. Why would they really try and help you when you are screwed into a contract anyway. You can't leave unless you pay something in the neighborhood for $200.

I can't wait for the number portability thing to go into effect at the end of November. The cell companies will have to straighten up or they'll lose even more people because keeping your cell number won't be an issue anymore.

Lastly, Sprint offers plans that don't require a contract! They charge $10 more per month, but to me that's totally worth it. The little known fact is that you can get cell plans without contracts if you push hard enough. If you don't get the hardware discount and the add-ons for the plans then you don't need a contract. Its almost impossible to get because then the salesrep doesn't get a commission. I'd think the best way to go is through the company's 800 #.

Joe
    Get a Kyocera 7135. I'm interested in the T600 because of the faster processor, but it's dualmode only, no analog! =( The new Samsung SGH-i700 or something looks pretty good.
    Originally posted by darrenfoo
    Get a Kyocera 7135. I'm interested in the T600 because of the faster processor, but it's dualmode only, no analog! =( The new Samsung SGH-i700 or something looks pretty good.
    No analog. Haha! I just love how people come in and tell others to get some other device because a Treo may not have a particular feature.

You say "Get a Kyocera 7135" and then go out of your way to point out that the Treo doesn't support analog. I didn't notice "analog" or AMPS anywhere in the Kyocera 7135's spec sheet. Nor on the SGH-i700. Did I miss something?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Coming from the Kyocera camp, I can say that the Kyocera 7135 does roam on analog networks (in addition to CDMA and third party CDMA networks).

It can be seen here in the online brochure:
    http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/7100...MM000579-3.pdf

Larryr,
    I had a Kyocera 6035 Smarphone for 1 1/2 years. It was a great phone, but waited and waited for the Kyocera 7135 for too long. When I found out that it would "only" be available for Verizon and not Sprint, that was the clincher in me deciding to buy a Treo 300.

I have been a Sprint PCS user for 5+ years and can say... I have very little to complain about. In the 5 years I have had: my voicemail go down just once for 2 hours... have always been able to make a phone call on the network... and the clairty is the best for the Rochester area. My girl friend call me from her cell phone and the signal wavers in and out. Since I run a business I need as-close-to crystal clear calls as I can get. Yes... Sprint PCS Customer Service isn't the greatest... they DO HAVE good people. When you find a bad one... gracesouly get off the phone and call in again.

I finally decided to buy a Treo 300 because:
    1. They were Sprint PCS based and you do not "have" to have a contract if you do not want one...
    2. I bought the phone for around $200...
    3. 99% of my usage is made on the Sprint PCS network.

After using the Treo 300 I can say:
    1. It crashes less than my Kyocera 6135...
    2. Does not have voice dial or voice answer built in the phone (but when I did use them on my Kyo 6135 I had to repeat and repeat the prompts depending where I was at and the ambiant background noise)...
    3. I do miss my voice memo feature... but the Daily Journal feature of Datebook Plus makes up my loss...

All-in-all, I love my Treo 300 over my old Kyo.

Dave
    Originally posted by NMprofessional
    Coming from the Kyocera camp, I can say that the Kyocera 7135 does roam on analog networks (in addition to CDMA and third party CDMA networks).

It can be seen here in the online brochure:
    http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/7100...MM000579-3.pdf

I stand corrected. Thank you NMprofessional.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks very much for the feedback, everyone. Assuming I *do* go with the Treo 600 (which will be a decision based largely on whether it's release before the Samsung SGH-i500, and what sort of trade-in they offer for the 300), one thing is for sure - I wll **NOT** be doing business with Sprint - I will be buying the GPRS flavor. I feel this way for two key reasons:

1 - The Customer "Service" experience was so painful that I simply will NOT repeat it, no matter what the cost, no matter what the alternatives. I do NOT consider it reasonable to keep calling back in the hope of getting a "good" CSR to be reasonable, as one contributor suggested. I've owned cell phones for 20 years now (yeah, I started with the lunchbox-sized ones), and this is the only time I've ever been tempted to take the hit on early cancellation.

2 - After being off the air unnecessarily for 3 weeks, I will NEVER again own a phone without a removable SIM. If I had one, I could have borrowed a phone, sent mine off for repair, and kept talking. In the early part of the 21st century, this means GSM/GPRS.

3 - Coverage in my area (suburban Long Island) was definitely inferior to the AT&T AMPS phone my Treo 300 replaced. I realize that coverage is area-dependent; those contributors living in the metro areas think every provider has great covarage<g>. (I'd love to meet that guy in the commercial - I could show him a whole bunch of places where it doesn't work!)

Actually, a few emails swapped with T-Mobile make me thing they have their customer service act together at least somewhat better than Sprint. And they've got a plan that more closely matches my calling patterns than anything Sprint offers. So they're probably the primary choice for the next go-round.

-lr
    _lr_ at yahoo.com
    Your logic and reasoning are sound Larry. So ... now we all wait...

Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

No analog. Haha! I just love how people come in and tell others to get some other device because a Treo may not have a particular feature.

You say "Get a Kyocera 7135" and then go out of your way to point out that the Treo doesn't support analog. I didn't notice "analog" or AMPS anywhere in the Kyocera 7135's spec sheet. Nor on the SGH-i700. Did I miss something?
    Look, there's pros and cons to EVERY phone. I HAVE a kyocera and yes there's analog. Bad things about 7135:
    -low battery life
    -slow cpu (33mhz), matters mainly for mp3s, video, pic viewing
    -lores screen 160x160 only
    -keys don't have very tactile feel like the 6035

From the spec sheet ONLY on the T600:
    -lores screen 160x160 only
    -dualband only no analog

If you're a CDMA user, analog can be important... it is to me since I there's coverage holes where I live.

From the GSM model manual:
    GSM 850/900/1800/1900 quad band world phone
    GPRS class 10, class B; also supports CSD
    -This is great... you can use the phone any where in the world.

I didn't mean the i700, I meant the SGH-i500 actually:
    http://www.just-talk.com/phone_det.php?phoneID=106 which is a decent competitor to the T600 GSM. Got some weird funky resolution screen, we don't know if it really supports standard 320x320, but it's got alot of other great stuff, like 300mhz processor , even has a flash for it's camera...
    Here's official Samsung link:
    http://www.samsung.com/Features/Tech...e/SGH-i500.htm
    Last edited by darrenfoo; 08/04/2003 at 02:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I have to add that I have beena T-Mobile user for 3+ years and their service has been impeccable. I will not use anyone but T-Mobile. Just my 2 cents.
  12.    #12  
    Boxer,

Yours is a very unusual letter - my experience is that nearly everyone hates their Cellular provider. I'm looking forward to getting my T600, and getting on TMobile. My Sprint contract is up in mid-September, and hopefully, I won't have to extend it by more than a month or two.

On a slightly different topic, does anyone know if the T600 can be used as a wireless modem for a laptop? I looked through the user's manual from the FCC site, and didn't see any obvious mention of this feature.

If doing this is not "standard equipment", hopefully some enterprising shareware author will write a pass-through program between the serial port and the radio. (I'm assuming that it will have a serial port, and not just USB).
    -lr
    _lr_ at yahoo.com