Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it just me? I am very disappointed with the pictures on the FCC site of the two Treo 600 models. The sleek, beautiful 600 we've been seeing all these weeks seems to be the GSM/GPRS version only. The Sprint/CDMA version has a slightly different style, and in my opinion is UGLY!!

As a Sprint user, I am disappointed that they've made this version so ugly. I can accept different dimensions since the internal hardware requirements differ, but the combination of different dimensions, different angles and different colors makes the device look awkward and clunky instead of sleek and modern.

What do you think?
    As has been stated numerous times in other threads, the FCC picture of the CDMA version is distorted. The picture was taken from an awkward (looking down at the device) angle making its dimensions look inflated at the top.

There is a bulge that was added at the ear piece, but that is minor. The two devices are virtually identical in size and shape. Only the color schemes are different and the CDMA version is a fraction of an ounce heavier.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Even if it does end up looking a little different, does it really matter that much? What it can actually do is what matters the most, and it can do the exact same things as the GSM version (well actually more, because the internet speeds will be faster).
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    Originally posted by DSDxp
    Even if it does end up looking a little different, does it really matter that much? What it can actually do is what matters the most, and it can do the exact same things as the GSM version (well actually more, because the internet speeds will be faster).
    Well...let's just say that each version has its pluses and minuses. CDMA is faster, but GSM is more widespread for international use. CDMA is used more in the US than GSM, so that's in its favor if you're in the US. Sprint's network doesn't allow calls to come in while you're doing data connections...GSM does. The Sprint version can only "SMS" to other Sprint users...The GSM version can SMS/MMS to everyone else (even internationally).

So whether the CDMA version does "more" is a matter of opinion. It all depends on what your needs are.

But you're quite right in that the overall appearance of the CDMA version doesn't really matter. The overall capabilities are close enough to each other that the color of the phone shouldn't be a reason to not get it. I think they're both cool.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    here's a photo of the CDMA model at the correct angle.

CDMA model corrected
    The more I stare at the phone, the more I can see the distortion theory is correct. I hope so anyway...
    Jim
    Thanks,
    intysf@cs.com
    TreoCentral.com
    Product Page Editor
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    The more I stare at the phone, the more I can see the distortion theory is correct. I hope so anyway...

The more I stare at the phone, the more I actually like how it looks better than the GSM version. Wow, its great! Thanks for that pic, imageone.
    i'm sorry, but i have to disagree; the color, the outside appearance, of this phone makes a great deal of difference. if the sprint version of this phone turns out to be that awful color instead of silver/platinum then i will not only be dissapointed, but also i predict lower sales for the product....no matter what its specs are!
    I've held the CDMA 600 and the pictures don't do it justice. It looks quite very professional and very cool.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    i'm sorry, but i have to disagree; the color, the outside appearance, of this phone makes a great deal of difference. if the sprint version of this phone turns out to be that awful color instead of silver/platinum then i will not only be dissapointed, but also i predict lower sales for the product....no matter what its specs are!

I'm sure any type of business person would glady choose the dark gun metal color over the shiny silver color. I don't think sales will suffer at all.
    Well I would take the dark gunmetal grey over the shiny silver we have now. The paint that is on the treo now is horrible if it falls once it gets like a million scratches.
    Yes, we need to KNOW!!!!!!
    What will it LOOK like??????

Everyone KNOWS that the gunmetal ones are cooler and work better than the shiny silver ones.

Never mind that they work better - they LOOK cooler!!!!

Yeah, but what if you're riding along and the sun comes through the windshield and reflects off your 600 in just the right way as to blind you? You'll get into an accident and you'll REALLY regret the scratches on the phone.

No problem - TreoRipoff.com has a special anti-glare holder for just this circumstance - only $99.95 (the swivel is $26.95 extra but you need it - it looks so COOL and adds to the glare-resistance).

Yeah, but they won't produce the GPMA versions in the States right away in that color. Plus the CDRS version is 1.32" more narrow and sleeker. But I hate Sprint.

Ok, but they are offering $29.95 trade-in on your ancient Treo 300 so you'll save money!!!! I can't WAIT til they come out.

Me either.... I'm camping out at the Sprint store starting one week before they go on sale. I know the ones in the first 200 will be the special ones.

No, you're dead wrong, stupid..... the SECOND 203 units will be the valuable ones.

Where do you get your info? You don't have to sleep out - you can virtually queue at Sprint.com

You don't know what you're talking about. I can't sit here and argue with you because I have to go write a book of love sonnets to several other pieces of electronic gear that haven't been released yet.

Yeah, the 2004 Cadillac will have a GSM phone in it and I hear it's going to have a Treo option.
    You be funny!! I just want to know when they are going to come out with a PURPLE metallic color so that my phone will match the boa I wear when I go out!!

I guess this whole discussion may seem a little excessive to regular people, but it's been a long time since I've been so excited about a product and it's nice to hear what other people who share the same excitement have to say about it. The fact is, I DO believe that the Treo 600 will change a lot about how I do things and help make everyday tasks much more efficient.

I've learned a lot from this forum and I'm sure I will be that much more informed to make the best decision when the Treo 600 finally ships. Knowledge is power! Thanks everyone!

I wonder if anyone from Handspring or Palm actually reads this forum? There's practically a GOLD MINE of ideas and information for their research and development team!

About the CDMA version being uglier than the GSM, well I agree that the pictures on the web have been pretty unflattering so far. Why hasn't Sprint provided us some professional studio quality photographs of the Sprint version like the GSM version? Pretty stupid that they haven't!

I think a black Treo 600 would be nice, but they made it so ugly by using that silver middle panel that doesn't match at all! Honestly, it looks like a ghetto phone that they slapped together with spare parts from the GSM. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it looks first-hand.

Can you tell us more about that 2004 Cadillac? Does it come in black? I heard the Lexus has better handling and acceleration.

..."FOR ME TO **** ON!!!"
    - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originally posted by RayUSA
    Why hasn't Sprint provided us some professional studio quality photographs of the Sprint version like the GSM version? Pretty stupid that they haven't!
    Not to sound terribly sarcastic (and I'm not intending to), but they probably haven't released professional photos as of yet because they haven't actually announced the device yet! We have to remember that, even though we've known about the device for ages here at TC, Sprint (or any other carrier) hasn't yet issued a formal statement on when they will carry the 600, what it's cost is, etc. Right now we have Handspring's word that Sprint and Orange are carriers, but because no formal announcements have been made by those companies, we can't exactly expect to see photos of the devices.

The reason there *are* professional photos of the GSM version out there is because Handspring chose to use the lighter silver color for all of their (modest to this point) promotional uses, mostly for their corporate website. I don't think that has any bearing on the quality of either phone, either, since all anyone's seen them actually showing to the public has been the darker version.

Until Handspring or a carrier start to actually promote this thing (when it's available, I'm guessing), you'll see plenty of professional-quality photographs out there.
    Aesthetic appearance aside, from the photo that was posted the GSM and CDMA models ARE physically different. The CDMA model does taper from top to bottom ... the distorted image further exagerated the taper of the unit.

The unit does "bulge-out" a bit at the top then tapers down as you get to the keyboard.
    Originally posted by arkitekt
    Aesthetic appearance aside, from the photo that was posted the GSM and CDMA models ARE physically different. The CDMA model does taper from top to bottom ... the distorted image further exagerated the taper of the unit.

The unit does "bulge-out" a bit at the top then tapers down as you get to the keyboard.
    I'll agree that there is a "bulge" at the ear piece (introduced with the "Sprint" face plate), but there is no taper from top to bottom. The dimensions are the same as for the GSM version.

Take a look at this.

Where do you see a "taper"?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

I don't see the taper in the picture posted by Insp_Gadget.
    Nor do I see the bulge at the ear peice. What difference will it make?
    Man, the CDMA version is fat, and ugly as hell. Maybe even uglier than the 300, and the 300 is pretty nerdy itself. That team needs to talk to sony or Nokia for some good-looking phone ideas. Man..whew..ugliness at its best. I keep on *****ing on this forum that the phone is still too fat, and I'm right. Just watch when you see this phone..its not that much smaller than the 300..its just about the same. They still need a major makeover, and I'm talking make this thing like 2.1 inches wide or less, then it will just be acceptable..and it will need some sleek curves, and some kinda nice design, kinda like the Nokia 3650, and having the camera in the center is a plus..that way you dont look awkward when taking secret photos..since the camera is off to one side.
    Originally posted by josephtse
    Man, the CDMA version is fat, and ugly as hell. Maybe even uglier than the 300, and the 300 is pretty nerdy itself. That team needs to talk to sony or Nokia for some good-looking phone ideas. Man..whew..ugliness at its best. I keep on *****ing on this forum that the phone is still too fat, and I'm right. Just watch when you see this phone..its not that much smaller than the 300..its just about the same. They still need a major makeover, and I'm talking make this thing like 2.1 inches wide or less, then it will just be acceptable..and it will need some sleek curves, and some kinda nice design, kinda like the Nokia 3650, and having the camera in the center is a plus..that way you dont look awkward when taking secret photos..since the camera is off to one side.
    How are they going to make a QWERTY keyboard usable if it's that narrow? That has been why the Treos have been so wide from the beginning. A keyboard is useless if it's too small to use.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast