Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by conflagrare

I would take a changeable cover so that the phone is "scratch proof"
    Yeah, that would be nice if they could do it without adding to the size and it was still solid feeling.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I would take the gun metal dark grey over the shiny silver look anyday! However, I wish they would start using different colors like blue, red, anything but gray and silver.
    I would take a changeable cover so that the phone is "scratch proof"
    Yeah, that would be nice if they could do it without adding to the size and it was still solid feeling.
    Yeah, I think I'll just take the phone as it is. And, it'll be great too...
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I'm a little confused... I thought the GSM Treo was the silver colored one and the CDMA Treo was the darker, gun metal color.

Pictures of the darker, gun metal color CDMA Treo show the bulge in the earpiece for one reason or another, but what's going on with this picture? Is this the GSM or CDMA model?

Did they actually make the GSM version in both colors? If so, I guess that would explain the fact that someone saw Jeff Hawkins with gun metal colored Treo that was supposedly GSM... ?

Treo 600 Pictures
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    Originally posted by DSDxp
    I'm a little confused... I thought the GSM Treo was the silver colored one and the CDMA Treo was the darker, gun metal color.

Pictures of the darker, gun metal color CDMA Treo show the bulge in the earpiece for one reason or another, but what's going on with this picture? Is this the GSM or CDMA model?

Did they actually make the GSM version in both colors? If so, I guess that would explain the fact that someone saw Jeff Hawkins with gun metal colored Treo that was supposedly GSM... ?

Treo 600 Pictures
    The silver one is GSM and the dark grey is CDMA. Going by just about every source, that's whe way it is. If Jeff Hawkins has a dark grey GSM version, I guess that's possible since he created the thing.
    You know... I think they will probably end up offering the two color choices for BOTH models. It would not be hard to do. If not, they certainly should!!
    Did we decide that Phonescoop's information is wrong? They say that the co-branded phones (Sprint and Orange) will be the dark gray color, and the generic GSM units (sold by T-Mobile, AT&T, Cingular, etc) will be the silver color. So then Hawkins could have whatever color GSM phone in his hand that he wants.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/c.../index.php?p=2
    Originally posted by scrinch
    Did we decide that Phonescoop's information is wrong? They say that the co-branded phones (Sprint and Orange) will be the dark gray color, and the generic GSM units (sold by T-Mobile, AT&T, Cingular, etc) will be the silver color. So then Hawkins could have whatever color GSM phone in his hand that he wants.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/c.../index.php?p=2
    Why does it have to be wrong? Everyone keeps dancing around about the colors, but no one is getting it:

The INITIAL versions of the phone are the darker color. That means all the pre-production units (including the one that Jeff Hawkins is carrying), whether they are CDMA or GSM are dark-colored. Period.

Once the phone goes PRODUCTION, the Sprint version would remain the dark color and the GSM version will be the silver color.

That's what the Phonescoop article is saying. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Notice that everyone that has spoken of a first-hand encounter with the Treo 600 has only seen the DARK version. That's because the silver versions aren't OUT there yet. They're for PRODUCTION and SALE.

Whether or not Sprint will use the silver color is the only thing that is unknown. Since we've seen the Sprint logo (actually on the body of the dark-colored version), I would assume that they intend to use the dark color (but that's just speculation based on my observation).

It appears that Orange (a GSM carrier) will also be using the darker version. Whether or not this is a matter of brand recognition for them I don't know, but that's the word so far.

After the initial two carriers (Sprint and Orange) do their thing, the generic GSM (Silver) version will be available. Whether or not other GSM carriers decide to use that color (or even have the choice) is something that only Handspring and their contracts with the carriers will determine.

The rest is a waiting game. WAIT and see.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

The INITIAL versions of the phone are the darker color. That means all the pre-production units (including the one that Jeff Hawkins is carrying), whether they are CDMA or GSM are dark-colored. Period.
    All of them...period! Like for instance the one shown in your avatar!
    Originally posted by scrinch

All of them...period! Like for instance the one shown in your avatar!
    That's a publicity photo with a simulated picture. Have you seen an OPERATIONAL silver Treo 600? No. That's because the only ones that exist are mock-ups and perhaps a few prototypes. The ones in the field for testing are all dark-colored. (By now, I'm sure silver-colored Treo 600s are being produced, but none of them are out there in the field.)

All I'm saying is that the confusion over what color each version (GSM or CDMA) is going to be has already been answered. There's no need for further speculation on the matter.

Just wait and see. It will be here soon enough.

For those that would like a choice of colors, that's an obvious desire. Perhaps it will happen and perhaps not, but worrying about it isn't going to make it so.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  10. Daz
    Has anyone seen the photos on Mobile Burn? The shot even shows the provider in the upper left side of the sceen...Sprint.
    Dark color will be Sprint and with no difference in form or shape to the Silver version
    Last edited by Daz; 08/12/2003 at 12:32 PM.
    if you look at the CDMA pics on the website there is a difference in shape and form...and I am assuming that is more than likely the production unit because it has the same shape/form in theT600 CDMA manuals.
  12. Daz
    Thanks, can you post the link?
    but there is an existing thread ...do a quick search its fairly recent..
    I just wanted to comment on the looks issue- this is America, and form is nearly as important as function- and that goes double for humans!!

Further, it is important to note that, again (I have mentioned this in a previous post), the Treo did not appeal to women. It would be very interesting to know how many women actually bought one. I would bet less than 15% of Treo owners are women. i have actually NEVER seen one. Anyone have any idea?

Do women care about function? Of course. But form is nearly as important. It has to fit in places (like purses), and it has to look nice. As I have mentioned before, the Treo was too big according to every woman I ever asked. I am the only one I know who bought one. The only other woman I know who bought a pda phone bought the other Sprint one- (samsung?) and it is gunmetal colored. As long as the 600 is the same size, it will be ok for me otherwise, I would need to go to the flip pda phone- clamshell, very small, nice screen.

I understand lots of consumer products are aimed at men only, I just understand why when it isn't necessary. Lots of women would be interested in pda phones. Since we make up >50% of the population, and we are working and making money- why not sell things to us to? We buy lots of tech stuff- Tivos, for example, digital cameras, cool cell phones, ipods, you name it. Why not create a product that appeals to both men and women?

The new HP pocket pc phone wiith Sprint is a perfect example. I will wager that their customers will be less than 3% women. Seriously. It is bigger than any of my shoes. Since Sprint won't let us have two phones with the same number- so we can ditch the brick when we need to dress up (i.e, use a smaller purse- or just plain go to the beach!) then we are S-O-L if we have a brick as a phone. As it is now, I have to leave my phone in the car when I go out- sort of defeats the purpose of a cell phone doesn't it?

Just my .02 cents.
    Thanks lesnla, it's good to hear some feedback from a woman's point of view for a change. Most of the girls I know say the same thing, that it (the Treo) is just too big. Furthermore, I also don't know a single female who has a Treo. Many of my female friends have multiple phones (GSM) so they can switch out SIM cards and change phones to match their activity or um... outfit, and they're mostly smaller Nokia and Sony Ericssons.

I DO know one nurse who is definitely planning to get a Treo 600 after I showed pics of it to her. She needs an efficient all-in-one phone/pda device to keep track of medical information and stats. The Treo 600 is perfect for her! And she likes the lack of a flip lid for quick one-handed access.

Overall, I think the Treo 600 will be much more attractive to female users than any other previous Treo model, but will still be purchased primarily by guys. Perhaps if they came out with a Baby Treo the size of a Nokia 8390, more women would get one.

RayUSA
    Last edited by RayUSA; 08/14/2003 at 02:23 AM.
    ARE YOU LISTENING JEFF HAWKINS!!! THE TREO IS TOO DAMN BIG! SAYS THIS WOMEN, REPRESENTING 50% of the population, 50% of the market share. How many times have I been tootin the treo is too fat, too ugly. I'm sick of all this cheerleading about the treo 600 and how perfect of a phone it is.

The fact that no women would touch this phone says a lot! Fuctionality-most phones these days are caught up with the capabilities of the treo 600. It's already becoming outdated, and it hasn't even come out yet!!! One thing that bothers me is the fact that that D pad takes up so much space, almost as much as the keyboard, and that the screen is such a small portion of the phone. Why not condense the D-pad, and add more screen space? the phone looks retarded how the d-pad and keyboard take up half the phone's front. The screen should go like 2/3 the way down and the rest should be keyboard. The ericson p600 has their dpad on their rocker. they have a rocker than be pushed in, then go all 4 directions. smart. not the treo 600. not smart. but soon they will figure it out in the treo 700. They will make it narrower, screen longer, keys skinnier, phone lighter, and smaller d-pad, better resolution screen, BETTER LOOKING PHONE. You gotta make it sexy, put some curves on it, make it less square...less nerdy...just like Jeff Hawkins..square and nerdy..haha
    I didn't say that I personally thought the Treo 600 was too BIG though... I think it's fine the way it is! I just agree that many women (and josephtse) want a smaller, dainty phone. I think that Handspring could win more of the increasingly tech-savvy female market if they came out with a Baby Treo.

But I will be happy with my Treo 600 the way it is, that is... until they come out with the next Treo! josephtse, if you dislike the Treo so much, why are you so seemingly obsessed with it? All you have to do is not buy one! Perhaps your real name is B. Gates??
    The size of the Treo 300 is fine the way it is and the 600 even better. I think people have been brainwashed into thinking the smaller the item your holding up to your head, the cooler it looks. I personally can't wait for the day when people are holding thimbal sized phones up to their head and think it's cool.
    Originally posted by josephtse
    ARE YOU LISTENING JEFF HAWKINS!!! THE TREO IS TOO DAMN BIG! SAYS THIS WOMEN, REPRESENTING 50% of the population, 50% of the market share.
    First of all I severely doubt women represent 50% of the smartphone market. That's a guess, but then again so was yours. Second, I think we've gone over this, Jeff Hawkins is not listening. He has other things to worry about right now.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast