1.    #1  
    I thought I had read in this forum a description of how to fix excessive battery drain on the 300. I can't find it now.

I cannot get any more than about 10 mins of talk time on a fully charged battery.

I see where someone said that Sprint would replace the whole thing. Will they do it if you purchased the phone from Handspring?

Thanks fo rany help.

John
    I cannot get any more than about 10 mins of talk time on a fully charged battery.
    It seems to me that either or both of these things must be happening.

A. Hot vision connection, i.e. green arrows on the launcher screen. Aol 3.0 etc will cause this...

B. Fringe service area causing the red blink of death.

However it is impossible to say for sure. Try disabling your vision connection and see what happens. If that doesn't work use treohelper to turn the phone off after a 2 minute absence of service.

If neither of those things fix the dilemma you either have a defective treo, or there is a network issue.

FYI, I do about 20 mins of surfing and 10-15 mins of calls per day. I usually am above 70% at the end of the day.

Good luck
    -rob

p.s. I am using 1.21
    Originally posted by robber

It seems to me that either or both of these things must be happening.

A. Hot vision connection, i.e. green arrows on the launcher screen. Aol 3.0 etc will cause this...

B. Fringe service area causing the red blink of death.

However it is impossible to say for sure. Try disabling your vision connection and see what happens. If that doesn't work use treohelper to turn the phone off after a 2 minute absence of service.

If neither of those things fix the dilemma you either have a defective treo, or there is a network issue.

FYI, I do about 20 mins of surfing and 10-15 mins of calls per day. I usually am above 70% at the end of the day.

Good luck
    -rob

p.s. I am using 1.21
    Treohelper? Red blink of death?

Some background. I brought my phone in today to get checked out. Not only did it lose all power after 10 minutes, but it also took all my programs and data with it....I need to know what is going on...

thanks

Sam

ps-it has been ages since I've posted...but I'm a (somewhat) happy handspring user once again.
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
    Treohelper? Red blink of death?

Some background. I brought my phone in today to get checked out. Not only did it lose all power after 10 minutes, but it also took all my programs and data with it....I need to know what is going on...
    Treohelper is a utlity designed to deal with the treos need for searching endlessly for a signal when there is none available. (i.e. no powersave mode) The treo searches via the radio at full output causing the battery to dwindle, and even the plastic case to turn warm. This search has been coined the red blink of death by many TC users. A search in the 300 forum will provide endless info... (BTW, treohelper also can deal with other non-related, minor functional treo 300 issues) I beleive our own "potatoho" wrote the program...

There is also another thing to look for when trying to daignose battery drain issues. Some apps casue the vision connection to run "hot". This can most easily be identified by seeing green arrows on the laucher screen. Aol 3.0 is a popular culprit. The only way to cure this "hot" connection is by restting or toggling the radio on/off.

However, if your battery literally dies after 10 minutes when fully charged than you have a defective battery, no question.
    Either of the above, will take about 2 hours(treo at idle) to deplete the battery.

Good luck

-rob
    I believe that Sprint will warranty the phone if you have the $4 a month replacement/repair plan on your service. Once you add it, you have a period to wait until it can be used...
  6.    #6  
    I should have posted earlier - I took it in to Sprint and they replaced it with a brand new treo. I had 2 weeks left on my warranty.

I'm a happy camper.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    John, I was a little luckier than you. My unit was dead after a 25 minute phone call. My results with the local Sprint store was also a little different than yours. Sure Sprint finally decided to send me a new unit but it was only after a much heated discussion did they do it. I got the "Sorry our techs could find nothing wrong in the tests." and then the killer, "Maybe you should consider purchasing a battery sled." So I asked them if they considered it false advertising to mention 2.5 hour talk time that was actually 25 minutes.

Let me say I NEVER got 2.5 hours of talk time even when this was brand new, but I use to do A LOT better than what I'm getting now. My new/refurb unit should be here tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers now...

--Dave
    Razor,

The 2.5 hours of talk time is a joke. We have two 300s here and basically get about an hour...maybe a little more.

Ken
    I get around 2 hours of talk/Vision time. I never got the update and I don't plan on it because of all the battery issues.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    I get around 2 hours of talk/Vision time. I never got the update and I don't plan on it because of all the battery issues.
    Interesting that this should come up....just this afternoon, I had a cell call on my Treo that lasted about 57 minutes....I was honestly surprised to see that my battery only registered 1/4 spent after the call....I expected it to be more than half drained, but was pleasantly surprised to see otherwise...