1.    #1  
    I'm curious if there's a way to check the amount of data you've used with the Treo. I know by dialing ##786 you can check out its history including minutes used but it doesn't show data. I know with most of Sprint's regular phones, ##786 also shows data. In case I use it with a laptop, I'd like to know how much data I'm transferring so I don't go overboard and do too much to get Sprint's attention. TIA
    Since they don't charge for it by units, they don't report on it. (It may actually be that they had problems reporting on it, so decided against charging for it by units.)

You'll need a third-party solution. I believe PDAApps makes one.

Geoffrey
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by gmaugham
    Since they don't charge for it by units, they don't report on it. (It may actually be that they had problems reporting on it, so decided against charging for it by units.)

You'll need a third-party solution. I believe PDAApps makes one.

Geoffrey
    Yeah, I know there are applications out there for it, but I figured if there was a simple code that would do it, that would be better. If you don't have an unlimited Vision plan then you actually do get charged by the KB. So in that case it would be very important to track data usage which is why I suspect the ##786 feature works on other Sprint phones. Oh well.
    Good point. I forgot that one can use Vision data without an unlimited plan. Maybe those users get data usage information when they call.

Geoffrey
    I don't know of any codes that tell you this, but you can use 3rd party apps like Kbtracker to keep track of the amount of data you use...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    I don't know of any codes that tell you this, but you can use 3rd party apps like Kbtracker to keep track of the amount of data you use...
    Yeah, I know of that as well as another one that was reviewed on here. If I have to get one of those, no biggie. I just found it odd that ##786 does everything on the Treo that it does for other Sprint phones EXCEPT tracking data usage.
    I have KBTracker and though it is quite reasonably priced, I feel it leaves a lot to be desired. It tracks web surfing usage very well but I dont beleive it tracks email/attachments as the numbers never increased after receiving numerous emails. I wrote the developer about this and he/she insisted that emails are tracked. Also, there is no automatic reset for the end of your billing month so you have to go in and manually do this each month. Very easy to forget.

KBTracker told me I had used 500kb of data for last month and at Sprints charges that should have been 500x2c = $10, however my data charges were $1.38.

So in other words though KBTracker is a somewhat usefull tool it does not give peace of mind as to actual usage.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    There is another data tracking app called TrafficStat. I don't know if it works on the 300, but it seems to work fine on my Treo 270.
    Ahhhhhhh....much, much better than KBTracker. I did a test email and it recorded to/from data usage and also recorded the web surfing data. Also works fine on the 300. ..
    From the website:

"TrafficStat should work with any PalmOS based device (version 3.5 and up) and with any connection type. For example Handspring Treo 270, 180, 300 with wireless connection, Palm V with PPP over infrared or serial, Kyocera QCP smartphone should work just fine.
    "

Link to App

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Just a quick heads up on that I just ran another email attachment test (10kb) and KBTrackers total never changed whereas TrafficStat recorded all of the data. My votes for TrafficStat. Cool data usage Pie Charts too!!!!