Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I'm having a strange problem. I will add a "speed dial number" to my first phone screen (you know, the one that pops up when you hit the phone button) and then when I hotsync my Treo 300 it disappears. This has happened with many of my numbers and I can't figure out why. The only ones that don't disappear are the first four that I set up when I first got it last week. Any thoughts or ideas on what might be happening?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Update... Same thing happening in Blazer. I set a bookmark today in blazer and after my hotsync it was gone too. I've checked my conduit settings thinking my backup was set to restore rather than backup and it's not
    trash your back up folder and set the conduit to do nothing. try to hot sync and see if it still happens. if it doesn't set conduit to back up. it sounds like you may not be setting the conduit to default.
    Is the system conduit set to 'Handheld overwrites Desktop?'
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    OK I just did a hot sync before I got the two messages above. It seems like every time I'm doing a hotsync it's reinstalling EVERYTHING! and overriding my previous stuff! I have three conduits on my desktop. Here are their settings:

Backup Set to Backup
    Entrorage Set to Syncronize
    Install Set to install

Why is it doing this?
    OK I think I know what your problem is. You mention "Entourage" so this tells me you have a Mac (right?). If so in your Palm Folder you will find a Updates Folder. Trash the Updates Folder you don't need it. Now try to sync.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Yes, I have a mac and deleting the updates folder solved my problem of everything installing. Thanks so much! I am going to enter a few speed dial numbers and resync to see if that's solved. Will keep you posted!
    your welcome!

PS. in the future when asking for help please make sure to give detailed info, such as Mac or PC and OS version etc.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Ahh trashed the updates folder, got a couple of good syncs and now its doing it again! I don't get it?
    you might try trashing your "Backups" Folder, one of the update files may have found it's way into it. Also check the "Default" settings on all conduits.

Are you running OS 9 or OS X and what version, version of Palm Desktop, list of conduits etc. etc.

"throw me a freak'n bone here"
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Sorry.... Mac OS 9.1, Palm Desktop 4, Conduits & their settings:

Install Install
    Entourage All Set to Sync
    WordSmith Set to Sync
    Backup Backup

I did do a search of my system for "updates" and found another set of updates folder back in the Palm folder (the ones I trashed last night were still right there in the trash can where I put them as well) - I don't know where in the world the second set up updates folder came from???!!! But I trashed it again and emptied the trash (which now had two updates folders in it!). I will also throw away my backup folder and sync again. I do know that my conduits are all set correctly though - my backup conduit IS set to backup not restore.

I'm not exactly a novice Palm user - have had palm OS systems for a long time (pilot, PalmVII, Prism, and now Treo) so I kinda have a little bit of a clue at least. I've never had this particular problem before and I'm bound and determined to solve it...
    sounds like you may have installed Palm Desktop more than once. Are you using the HandSpring version of Palm Desktop?

You should also think about upgrading your OS to at least 9.2.2 (free) Not sure what hardware you have but OS X is where you should be headed.

The only time I every see this problem is due to the "Updates" Folder. Don't panic it will work .... eventually.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Yes, I'm sure I have the Palm software installed more than once. I am going to scour my system and get rid of all old stuff! I thought about upgrading to 9.2.2, but my understanding is that it won't run with my ibook lid closed? When I'm at home I plug it into a 21" monitor and am able to close the ibook and tuck it away. It works great just like a real desktop system - nobody's any the wiser. I know they say you shouldn't run it with the screen closed, but I've been doing it a long time with no problems and it's well venthilated (sic) - I've haven't upgraded ONLY because I need to be able to work with it closed.

My ibook did come with OSX, but it ran soooooo slowwww! I later purchased Jaguar version when it came out and thought I would try again. Uninstalled it within 3 days - I just can't work that slow - my business is fast paced... I've only got a G3, so......

I would love to move up to X but the speed issue is a real problem!
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Ok - now I'm freaked. I've cleared my computer of all copies of Updates folder for Palm and it's still doing the same thing. Reinstalling my software again?