browser (the manual is not clear, but implies
    this in some ways). I think GPRS is more
    "on" all the time, at least it seemed that way
    when using my folks' sidekick.

What about email (which is not in the
    manual)? Specifically, if one sets it up
    to check email every 10 minutes, would
    it actually check if Vision were not "on"
    (or would it make the Vision "connection")?
    This could cause a call that comes in at
    that moment to go to voice mail, I assume.

Generally, whichever technology is just
    "on" whenever the wireless mode is on
    would seem far superior (and less like
    a connection that had to be made
    explicitly). Also, being able to take calls
    when using the data feature (a halt in the
    data stream is OK) would be nice.

Joe
    Well, I can't tell you for sure about Sprint's Vision, since I don't use them, but I can tell you that none of the issues you listed exist on GSM/GPRS.

1. GSM/GPRS allows a voice call to come in and asks if you want to take it, instead of just sending the caller to voicemail. Very nice.

2. GSM/GPRS doesn't have to be restarted after a call. It does seem to "disconnect" once in a while, which results in a short pause when you go to access the internet again, but it's really short: about 10 seconds on my Treo 270 and doesn't happen often.

I don't know how Sprint's Business Connection service handles e-mail connections. Since it's relying on Vision, I can only assume that while a data connection is established, voice calls will go to voicemail as with any other data connection on their service. But (as with #1 above) that's not an issue with GSM/GPRS.

Whether it's a Treo 300 or a Treo 600 or any other Vision phone, if the network doesn't permit a call to come through while a data connection is established, no phone will fix that. Such an issue can't be blamed on the phone. (Although some people will do so anyway.)

Hope that helps, at least a little.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by skyrush
    Hi!

I am anxiously awaiting the 600 like most
    everyone here.

Two burning questions, however:

1) Does anyone know for sure whether
    CDMA allows taking a call while using
    Vision (the manual on the FCC site seems
    to imply it goes right to voicemail, which
    sucks).

2) Is the CDMA (Vision) similar to GPRS
    in regard to its "always on" nature? In
    other words, is it off until you hit the web
    browser (the manual is not clear, but implies
    this in some ways). I think GPRS is more
    "on" all the time, at least it seemed that way
    when using my folks' sidekick.

What about email (which is not in the
    manual)? Specifically, if one sets it up
    to check email every 10 minutes, would
    it actually check if Vision were not "on"
    (or would it make the Vision "connection")?
    This could cause a call that comes in at
    that moment to go to voice mail, I assume.

Generally, whichever technology is just
    "on" whenever the wireless mode is on
    would seem far superior (and less like
    a connection that had to be made
    explicitly). Also, being able to take calls
    when using the data feature (a halt in the
    data stream is OK) would be nice.

Joe
    1 - Yes and no. When you are logged into Vision and actively doing something like surfing the web, checking e-mail, using AIM, etc, calls go straight to voicemail. However, you can leave Vision on but if you're not actively using it, calls will ring through.

2 - Again, yes and no. When you turn the phone on, Vision isn't automatically on. When you activate something that uses Vision like I listed above, you get logged into Vision. Once you're connected, you can stay connected so it's always on. Like I said, if you're not actively transferring data, calls will come through. However if you want, you can disconnect from Vision altogether, it's up to you.

About e-mail, I don't have the Business Connection, but I do believe that with it you can schedule times or intervals that it retrieves e-mail. There are also e-mail clients that allow you to do this as well. As stated before, if you're logged into Vision but not using it at the moment, calls will ring through. During the actual time that you're downloading or sending e-mail calls will go to voicemail. But once that stops, you'll get calls again.

I hope that clears it up.
    I think you have to weight the trade-offs between the two services, though, as well:

GSM/GPRS may indeed always be able to let calls through, but it's hardly the fastest data service on the block, and currently has hit it's limit as far as data speed goes.

Sprint's digital network can't take calls during an *active* data session, but you can certainly get more speed out of it's connection than you could ever get out of a current GSM/GPRS connection.

I'm not saying either is more important the other, but do keep in mind the pros and cons of each service!
    does the sprint service signal both a missed call and a voicemail, when applicable ?
    Ben
    Originally posted by ben klieger
    does the sprint service signal both a missed call and a voicemail, when applicable ?
    There won't be a missed call. That only gets triggered if your phone actually receives the call but you don't answer. If you're using Vision, the call never makes it to your phone. If you miss one and the caller doesn't leave voicemail, you won't know they called. It's just like if you go into an area that's out of service and someone calls. You could get voicemail but there won't be a missed call from them.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

There won't be a missed call. That only gets triggered if your phone actually receives the call but you don't answer. If you're using Vision, the call never makes it to your phone. If you miss one and the caller doesn't leave voicemail, you won't know they called. It's just like if you go into an area that's out of service and someone calls. You could get voicemail but there won't be a missed call from them.

do you use sprint in the philly market, and if so how is the service?
    Ben

do you use sprint in the philly market, and if so how is the service?
    Yes I do. Overall I'd say it's good. The odd part is that I usually have good service except for in my house. But that's just because the universe hates me. It's definitely better than Nextel's coverage here, better than Cingular, and I haven't really compared it to the others.
    i still have not determined if i was going with the gsm or cdma treo 600?
    Ben
    i still have not determined if i was going with the gsm or cdma treo 600?
    Well, if it helps your decision, CDMA 1xRTT is much faster than GPRS. Also, the CDMA version has will work as a GPS already without extra attachments.
  11.    #11  
    OK, well I think this issue (the missed/voicemailed calls while using
    Vision) pretty much clinches the fact that
    I'd opt for GSM, even at slower speed.

I can see worrying about missing an
    important call so much that I would
    avoid connecting or surfing while
    waiting for the call.

Also, I don't like the idea that you have
    to activate Vision. Any packet data service
    should always be on.

Joe
    Alright I've posted this before in a thread about Bluetooth, but that thread has disappeared. I don't see why we really have any reason to believe that the Treo 600 CDMA's built in GPS will be usable for the purposes that everyone here is hoping for. Maybe there was some statement I missed, but my research on other smartphones shows that the Samsung i700 also has a built in GPS system, which is primarily for the E911 service. However, it too has the ability to use location-based services. As far as I know, nobody has been able to access this data within another program; I know that at least one user was able to get to a debug menu which did show a space for the data which was proved to be the same latitude and longitude on every user who checked, and I don't think any programming codes were found to actually access that data. I know that Samsung hasn't released any SDK's or anything like that, so maybe we have that slight glimmer of hope, but I really don't think that we'll be able to use the Treo's internal GPS for any mapping purposes.
    skyrush/Joe:

Well - theoretically, Vision should always be 'on'. Sort of in background, idle mode. Reality is that even the background 'idle' connection can drop from time to time, and then activating a data service (like web, e-mail, IM, whatever) will initiate the data connection process.
    But for the most part, and in most places, Vision is designed to always be on. Your mileage may vary.
    When a lot of us first got our devices, about a year ago, the always on was truly always on. Then, for some strange reason, around Thanksgiving of last year, the connections would drop sporadically. I think Sprint tweaked some of their network settings to lessen the network load and overhead, and that caused many of the reported issues. It also seems to depend on your location as to the stability of continued data connections with the Sprint network.
    Just wondering here...

I have an ext. warranty on my 300 from Circuit. I verified last night and they are dropping indeed dropping Sprint, so when I bring back my defective (wink, wink) 300, I will receive full store credit. I figured no big deal, I can always use it for something else and get a 600 through hopefully an upgrade/incentive program or some other way. Options should be numerous.

Anyway, than I thought CC has T-Mobile and perhaps I can still get a 600 there and just switch services. Based on the above discussion, each service has it's advantages/disadvantages that I can live with.

However, one thing I haven't seen discussed in comparing the two is the rate plans. After looking at T-Mobile's site, it looks like it's at least $10 more per month for a plan with unlimited data compared to Sprint. Am I right, or are there other plans? I don't want to spend any more than the $40 per month I already spend with Sprint.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser
    Just wondering here...

I have an ext. warranty on my 300 from Circuit. I verified last night and they are dropping indeed dropping Sprint, so when I bring back my defective (wink, wink) 300, I will receive full store credit. I figured no big deal, I can always use it for something else and get a 600 through hopefully an upgrade/incentive program or some other way. Options should be numerous.

Anyway, than I thought CC has T-Mobile and perhaps I can still get a 600 there and just switch services. Based on the above discussion, each service has it's advantages/disadvantages that I can live with.

However, one thing I haven't seen discussed in comparing the two is the rate plans. After looking at T-Mobile's site, it looks like it's at least $10 more per month for a plan with unlimited data compared to Sprint. Am I right, or are there other plans? I don't want to spend any more than the $40 per month I already spend with Sprint.

Thanks.
    T-Mobile charges $20 for unlimited data. Sprint charges $15 for unlimited Vision. Unless you've had it for a while and signed up when it was only $10. If that's your basis of judging them, Sprint is cheaper. But you should also look at the overall rates and coverage.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

T-Mobile charges $20 for unlimited data. Sprint charges $15 for unlimited Vision. Unless you've had it for a while and signed up when it was only $10. If that's your basis of judging them, Sprint is cheaper. But you should also look at the overall rates and coverage.

Thanks. A comparable plan from T-Mobile would be $10 more for me.