Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    I thought so. Especially to see the original Palm Pilot with the next generation Treo. Wow what a difference a few years makes.
    Originally posted by imageone
    I thought so. Especially to see the original Palm Pilot with the next generation Treo. Wow what a difference a few years makes.
    Yeah, but the original is from 1996. Think about what computers looked like 7 years ago in comparison to today. That's technology for ya.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Yeah, but the original is from 1996. Think about what computers looked like 7 years ago in comparison to today. That's technology for ya.
    I dunno... my old computer still looks like a box sitting on top of a desk.
  4. purpleX
    Well here we go, one of my prediction that by December treo 600 will be so hopelessly outdated in term of hardware for a $500+ gadget. God knows how behind it is compared to other high end phone during it's peak life time in Q1 next year.

motorola A920
    http://mobile.burn.com/review.jsp?Id=326
    Originally posted by purpleX
    Well here we go, one of my prediction that by December treo 600 will be so hopelessly outdated in term of hardware for a $500+ gadget. God knows how behind it is compared to other high end phone during it's peak life time in Q1 next year.

motorola A920
    http://mobile.burn.com/review.jsp?Id=326
    Well OK, I'm gonna hold you to that.
  6. purpleX
    The A920 will be announced next month, the Nokia 6600 is announced already.
    both the motorola and nokia look great. personally i need a keyboard for heavy emailing.
    Ben
    Will this broken record ever stop?

1. PurpleX: These models are sooo much better than the Treo 600.

2. Someone else: Maybe, but I need a keyboard.

3. Go to 1.

It seems to me that someone is not getting the message.
  9. purpleX
  10. purpleX
    While we are talking about brain science,

HPQ is about to gulp RIMM, apparently to speed up their development of blackberry like iPAQ. Rumor is pretty strong, RIMM jumps 13%.

Dell is also getting mighty cozy with Good technology, they are in bed together trying to hatch new phone PDA. I wonder if Dell is in the mood to gobble Good technology as well after HPQ sucessfully acquire RIMM.

What's this got to do with our brain scientist?

who knows. It'll be interesting if all RIMM suddenly run CE and there is a CE line behaving like blackberry. His competitor suddenly has ten times more in house know how to built a wireless handheld.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    While we are talking about brain science,

HPQ is about to gulp RIMM, apparently to speed up their development of blackberry like iPAQ. Rumor is pretty strong, RIMM jumps 13%.

Dell is also getting mighty cozy with Good technology, they are in bed together trying to hatch new phone PDA. I wonder if Dell is in the mood to gobble Good technology as well after HPQ sucessfully acquire RIMM.

What's this got to do with our brain scientist?

who knows. It'll be interesting if all RIMM suddenly run CE and there is a CE line behaving like blackberry. His competitor suddenly has ten times more in house know how to built a wireless handheld.
    If that happens and we start getting tons of new CE devices with keyboards, would you start acknowledging that keyboards are useful for some people? It seems that you only think that things that come from the MS camp are.
    Originally posted by imageone
    your right, it was the Newton, another Apple product. Wonder how long it will be before they try to copy the iPod and the iTunes Music Store?

Hey I'm not bashing them, I just don't think they are innovative, or have really cool products.
    Please.........Your "Mac-centric" views are laughable. All your supposed 'MAC' innovations were done first by others

Icon Based OS.......Ipod (HD based MP3 player)......Itunes Music Store....... "NONE' of these are original Apple ideas, an argument can be made that perhaps apple was the 1st to get the ideas right.

My point is no one should have to reinvent the wheel, Like them or hate them, Microsoft has been one of the most successful companies and innovation has always been a big part of that success.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Originally posted by Prismatic

Please.........Your "Mac-centric" views are laughable. All your supposed 'MAC' innovations were done first by others

Icon Based OS.......Ipod (HD based MP3 player)......Itunes Music Store....... "NONE' of these are original Apple ideas, an argument can be made that perhaps apple was the 1st to get the ideas right.

My point is no one should have to reinvent the wheel, Like them or hate them, Microsoft has been one of the most successful companies and innovation has always been a big part of that success.
    Here's a list of things that Microsoft did NOT invent, and the proofs for them:

http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml

The point is that Microsoft is hardly innovative. Also, they don't do the best job of refining ideas. They just happen to have $42 billion (nope, this wasn't a typo) in cash sitting around to spend on stealing other people's ideas.

From what I can tell, one of their major "strategies" of making money is to use their $42 billion to make their products the "industry standard". Look at what they are doing with .NET! They are giving university students (future employees, CEOs) free samples of their programming language to try to increase their market share of programming language. What are those students going to use when they graduate? .NET of course, because they are the most familiar with it. 10 years from now, $M will have good control over what the developers are developing because they control the programming language they use.

What other company has that kind of money to throw at a long term scheme like this that's not going to generate money for another 10, 20 years?

More examples of this can be seen with IE. Simply put it in as many brand name computers as you can, bundle it with Windows, and voila, eventually, you must smother out Netscape.

And also, what's this crap about incompatible webpages on the internet? Webpages used to view fine in both Netscape and IE, that is, until M$ created programs to write webpages. Then, they make sure that their programs pumped out webpages that only views properly in IE. That's just low-down and cheap.
    Last edited by conflagrare; 08/05/2003 at 04:50 PM.
    Originally posted by conflagrare
    ....snip
    From what I can tell, one of their major "strategies" of making money is to use their $42 billion to make their products the "industry standard". Look at what they are doing with .NET! They are giving university students (future employees, CEOs) free samples of their programming language to try to increase their market share of programming language. What are those students going to use when they graduate? .NET of course, because they are the most familiar with it. 10 years from now, $M will have good control over what the developers are developing because they control the programming language they use.
    ........snip
    Sounds like a damn fine idea to me.......

All kidding aside I understand your point and the others have tried to make here concerning Microsoft. In reality Microsoft does what most other companies "attempt" to do. Their position as the '500 lb. gorilla' in the market makes it difficult for others to bear at times.

What many people fail to see is that the computer Industry and us, the technology users are in a better (not worse) position because of their presense.

And the world is a better place because of the work of the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation
    http://www.gatesfoundation.org/GlobalHealth/

..........Off of my soapbox now!
    No good deed goes unpunished
  15. purpleX
    Since when all of a sudden Palm inc and handspring becomes the innovators in the industry and a beacon of corporate ethics and activism?

get out of here.
    What's the thread topic again?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Originally posted by conflagrare
    From what I can tell, one of their major "strategies" of making money is to use their $42 billion to make their products the "industry standard".
    hehehe... reminds me of this joke...

Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None. They just redefine darkness as the standard.
  18. purpleX
    Q: How many Palm engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Broken lightbulb is zen. The light switch uses less tap than functioning light switch and the electric bill is cheaper than those microsoft light bulbs. It's simple! Who need lights all the time anyway? at night you suppose to go to sleep. And btw, Palm Inc will release lightbulb ver 5.0, still dark and broken but now it is as fancy and as pricey as microsoft lightbulb, but not to worry the version 6.0 will surely beat that microsoft lightbulb for sure. Light and all.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12