Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think Robin is Ugly compared with Batman.

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Ar...ges=PR&seq=207

Why does sprint get the ugly phone?

----
    OK I agree - - it's just a different angle.
    Last edited by jwardneosoft; 07/31/2003 at 02:18 PM.
    I do like the color of Batman better, but I'm growing on the slimmer design of Robin much better.
    as stated in another thread, I don't think those pictures are accurate - the darker one was taken from a different angle, and I think that skewed the perspective of that picture.
    In contrast to those pics, and the article in Brighthand in which they originally appeared, the Treo600 I held at the Sprint show o so long ago was dark and slim, like the shape of the silver colored one.
    Also - in looking at the CDMA manual on the FCC site, which is clearly a Sprint phone, is also looks slim like all the other pics we've seen.
    If you look at the pics carefully, I think the reason why the shapes appear to be different is just that the pictures were taken from a different angle. It looks like Robin was taken from slightly above, skewing the picture to make the top seem wider and bottom seem narrower. I bet if you had the two side by side in person they'd be almost identical in shape. As far as color goes, at least Robin isn't covered in red and green spandex.
    Boy wonder definitely doesn't look as cool as batman...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    yeah I don't care so much about the shape as much as I think the color is horrible. It's nearly enough to make me stick with the Treo 300 or get the GSM version.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    yeah I don't care so much about the shape as much as I think the color is horrible. It's nearly enough to make me stick with the Treo 300 or get the GSM version.
    I think the silver color looks better than black, but it doesn't matter much to me. No way I'd stick with my Treo 300 just for the color and there's no way I'd leave Sprint for it. I don't mind the black. Now if it was hot pink it would be a different story.
    Forget about collor...the CDMA version has the Snaptrack gps module. That means the Sprint version will function like a GPS device once Sprint's location based services get up and running...which is not too far away.
    yeah, local Sprint PCS store dude told me about that with a wink. No definite timetable yet though. On current phone (N400) disabling that under "Settings" will extend your battery life significantly. Like doubling it, so hopefully if you're not using the T600 as a locator or GPS, you will be able to do the same.
    I'm still a little confused by the shape of the CDMA model. If you look at the PDF of the external photo, and see the front and back side by side. The front does look like it tapers down at the bottom. But the back view looks straight. I also believe it's the angle.

If you don't have the PDF here's the photo's again. Sorry we can't post photo's in threads here. What's up with THAT!
    after seeing what color my 300 is after it got scratched up. Looking at the photos in more detail, to me the overall shape is identical except for the top earpiece section where Robin has a rounded edge with a nub for the earpiece while Batman is just flat. All aesthetics to me. Functionality and size are my priorities.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    If you don't have the PDF here's the photo's again.
    That was the first time I ever really looked at the side (laying on the table) profile. I like the two color (silver on dark grey). It gives it more style. I also like how a darker color will allow the Treo to disapear easier into a holster. Currently, my black holster has light grey sticking out of it which isn't particularly great when you are trying to minimize the geek factor.

Hopefully the size difference will let me store this one in my pocket without fear of is falling out...
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

I think the silver color looks better than black, but it doesn't matter much to me. No way I'd stick with my Treo 300 just for the color and there's no way I'd leave Sprint for it. I don't mind the black. Now if it was hot pink it would be a different story.
    Yeah I'm blowing it out of proportion in slim hopes that Handspring realizes that both color schemes would be key. I probably would mind the black so much if I didn't have to compare it side to side with the silver.

As to the scratches, I hear ya. I was hoping this would be made of some sort of metal instead of metal-looking plastic.

As for the GPS locator, I'll believe it when I see it working with software or read from a reputable news source (i.e., not a press release, or a posting on a message board) that they've done this. If this was really going to be a reality we'd be hearing a lot more about this. Garmin is pricing their GPS PDA at $500+, which means this probably adds about $350 to the value of the Treo. No way do they not play this up as a core feature.
    Well, for whatever its worth, I've held the CDMA Sprint version, and it looks much better than the picture that's linked to above.
    Originally posted by Stickman
    Well, for whatever its worth, I've held the CDMA Sprint version, and it looks much better than the picture that's linked to above.
    That's worth quite a bit coming from someone whose posts I generally trust. Thanks!
    I prefer Batman over the Boy Wonder as well, but I don't think that's the most flattering picture they could have given us for Robin. That photo looks like it was taken after a few beers in a bathroom stall.

By the way, do you think Handspring is somehow favoring the GSM version since they gave it the "Batman" name and the CDMA version the ambiguously gay sidekick name "Robin?" After all, the black one should be called "Batman" since the Sprint CDMA version was kinda developed first and Batman IS known as the "Dark Knight" after all. Could this be a hint that they have more expectations from the GSM version?

I think the GSM version WILL probably be the better seller worldwide, since the largest mobile phone markets (Europe and Asia) have primarily GSM networks.

I don't know why the pictures of the Treo 600 CDMA I've seen with the Sprint logo looks so... "Radio Shack." It looks kinda ghetto, like it was put together with stolen parts.

Here is a better picture of Robin from the Mobile Burn website. I'm sure it is CDMA version cause it doesn't have the SIM slot on top. And you will notice... no strange bump on the earpiece. That photographer should be punished on the Bat pole.

RayUSA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RayUSA; 07/30/2003 at 06:40 PM.
    Originally posted by imageone
    ...snip...
    If you don't have the PDF here's the photo's again. Sorry we can't post photo's in threads here. What's up with THAT!
    The top photo (front/back) that you posted is actually of two different phones (the CDMA/Sprint version on the left and the GSM version on the right). How do I know? Because if you look closely at the one on the right, you'll see the slot for the SIM card at the top/right. This unit is silver.

As for the picture on the left (the Sprint version), the photo was shot looking down at the unit, so the aspect makes the keyboard look smaller than the screen. Lighting accounts for the "bulge" that appears at the ear-piece. This unit is the dark grey/black, and would be the same dark grey on the back (not silver like the picture on the right).
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I think the pic RayUSA posted finally shows us that Robin's shape is virtually identical to Batman's. It shows it from the proper perspective and the proportions look just like the GSM version.
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

As for the picture on the left (the Sprint version), the photo was shot looking down at the unit, so the aspect makes the keyboard look smaller than the screen. Lighting accounts for the "bulge" that appears at the ear-piece. This unit is the dark grey/black, and would be the same dark grey on the back (not silver like the picture on the right).
    Dear Mr Inspector,

You are on the money in almost everything you said except for the bulge issue. The drawings in the Sprint Treo 600 manual also show a bulge. So I don't think it's an artificat of the lighting. See attached picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just to beat a dead horse even more. take a look at this: http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/c.../index.php?p=2
    Stickman provided that link in a different thread. It shows many angles of the CDMA Treo 600 and it's clearly better looking than the FCC picture.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast