View Poll Results: The Treo 600's built-in battery... friend or foe?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Friend!

33 25.98%
  • Foe!

63 49.61%
  • Undecided...

14 11.02%
  • Could care less.

15 11.81%
  • What was the question again?

2 1.57%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Originally posted by bbdwebz
    I am on my 4th treo in 11 months, 3 for broken lid hinges and 1 for a defective battery! I'm sorry, but a $500 anything should not have a failure rate that high.
    I agree... 4th Treo??!! Yikes! That's exactly why I'm in favor of the removable battery, and optional removable flip cover. As good a product as the Treo 600 appears to be, I am definitely going to get the extended warranty, just in case.

I understand your points, I really do. But my Samsung i300 was pretty thin and other than a camera and sd slot, it basically had the same features.
    Hmmm...I'm not sure exactly how this is considered "thinner," as I've used one, and I can say that the thickness of the device is about the same as my Treo 300. In fact, a quick look around the 'Net shows that it's actually thicker (.82" to the Treo's .8"). Unless, of course, you meant "thick" to imply the width of the device, not the actual thickness. In which case, it's something we have to live with, because the Treo has a full QWERTY keyboard to consider, and that takes up considerably more width than the graffiti employed by the i300. But thicker? Not hardly.

I applaud Hawkins if what you envision is true, but I wish he would spend more time on quality control than where seams should be. I am on my 4th treo in 11 months, 3 for broken lid hinges and 1 for a defective battery! I'm sorry, but a $500 anything should not have a failure rate that high.
    I do agree with you on this...it's unfortunate that the Treo's out there now have had so many friggin' problems, and I don't make excuses for the company on that one. Even as an "early adopter," none of us should have to put up with this level of failure in a device, and I certainly wouldn't dispute that. I had simply offered up my opinion on why certain design choices might have been made in favor of more practical ones, that's all. Every time I've ever read anything that has to do with Jeff Hawkins, he starts going on about the ideaology of design and so forth...lol
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV

In fact, a quick look around the 'Net shows that it's [Samsung i300] actually thicker (.82" to the Treo's .8").
    Wow, that's good to know. I don't have my i300 anymore so I was relying from memory. From the pics on the net and the mock-up I made, the treo 600 seems so much thicker. I didn't consider my i300 thick at all.

I am feeling better already about purchasing a 600. Not that the thickness issue would have stopped me anyway

Wow, that's good to know. I don't have my i300 anymore so I was relying from memory. From the pics on the net and the mock-up I made, the treo 600 seems so much thicker. I didn't consider my i300 thick at all.

I am feeling better already about purchasing a 600. Not that the thickness issue would have stopped me anyway
    Well, for the record, that .8" number was for the Treo 300; if I'm not mistaken, I believe the Treo 600 has been reported to be at .87" thick, which isn't a *huge* difference, but it is going to be thicker than it is. However, people have said it fits the hand better, and feels more solid, so it may be a good thing. But I just thought I'd clarify that...
  5.    #25  
    I hate those tiny wimpy phones that look like you should hold out your pinky while talking. Less is not necessarily better. I don't think the thickness is a major problem at all. Like you said, it could even make the phone feel more solid and comfortable in your hand. It's the width that I'm more concerned with. I'm so glad they made the width of the Treo 600 smaller than the Treo 300. I think they got it right this time!
    Originally posted by RayUSA
    I hate those tiny wimpy phones that look like you should hold out your pinky while talking. Less is not necessarily better. I don't think the thickness is a major problem at all. Like you said, it could even make the phone feel more solid and comfortable in your hand. It's the width that I'm more concerned with. I'm so glad they made the width of the Treo 600 smaller than the Treo 300. I think they got it right this time!
    The width was my concern too. I wanted something narrower than the 300 but was worried that it would make the keyboard harder to use. Hopefully their claims are true that they were able to shrink down the keyboard but by changing the dimensions of the keys, make it easier to use.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

The width was my concern too. I wanted something narrower than the 300 but was worried that it would make the keyboard harder to use. Hopefully their claims are true that they were able to shrink down the keyboard but by changing the dimensions of the keys, make it easier to use.
    I'm actually glad the keyboard is smaller (though it should be noted the keys are bigger). I dislike pager-style blackberries because the keys are so far apart. I can use my Treo with one hand because I don't have to stretch my thumb all over the western hemisphere to hit a button. This new treo will bring that to a new level, I think, as the space between keys is virtually eliminated and the keys are made bigger.

As good a product as the Treo 600 appears to be, I am definitely going to get the extended warranty, just in case.
    Well, I am going to wait for the extended warranty. The treo 300 seemed to be a good product too when it was first released. So far, with me, one has not lasted more than 3 months before self-destructing.
  9.    #29  
    What kind of experiences have you guys had with other phone batteries, both removable and built-in? Just about every phone I've ever had has given me some kind of battery trouble at some point.
    What kind of experiences have you guys had with other phone batteries, both removable and built-in? Just about every phone I've ever had has given me some kind of battery trouble at some point.
    I've never owened a cell phone for more than a year. That's supposedly the magic time when they go to hell though. Hopefully the battery can last until the Treo 700 comes out and maybe with a removable battery.
    Handsprings reason for not haveing a removable battery is valid.

Everyone here says every phone has a removable battery, But what you are forgetting is that they do not run Palm OS, which uses volital RAM. (aka requires constant power to remember things)

So Imagine this scenario, After a long day of listning to MP3s on your new Treo600 you go to swap out the battery, you put on the new one, turn on the device... and it is empty. All of your personal data including address book and calender and all programs stored on the internal phone memory is gone.

To get around this problem in other devices manufacturers have to include a secondary long life (1 to 2 year) lithium ion battery to provide power to ram during a main battery change.

This has two major drawbacks.
    1. It limits device life to the life of the battery (1 to 2 years)
    -this may be aceptble to most people.
    2. The additional battery along with the additional plastic to make the first battery removable will add size. The battery alone would take up the space of a fairly complex chip. So if you want that you have to give up something else, or make a bigger package.

thats my .02
    Originally posted by ComicMasta
    Handsprings reason for not haveing a removable battery is valid.

Everyone here says every phone has a removable battery, But what you are forgetting is that they do not run Palm OS, which uses volital RAM. (aka requires constant power to remember things)

So Imagine this scenario, After a long day of listning to MP3s on your new Treo600 you go to swap out the battery, you put on the new one, turn on the device... and it is empty. All of your personal data including address book and calender and all programs stored on the internal phone memory is gone.

To get around this problem in other devices manufacturers have to include a secondary long life (1 to 2 year) lithium ion battery to provide power to ram during a main battery change.

This has two major drawbacks.
    1. It limits device life to the life of the battery (1 to 2 years)
    -this may be aceptble to most people.
    2. The additional battery along with the additional plastic to make the first battery removable will add size. The battery alone would take up the space of a fairly complex chip. So if you want that you have to give up something else, or make a bigger package.

thats my .02
    Valid point about the battery but it's easy to get around. The lithium secondary battery could be removable as well. It could be like a watch battery or like one on a motherboard. They could easily use a battery the size of a watch battery and have it sit underneath the main battery. That's wouldn't take up much room at all. When it dies after a year or two, just pop it out and put in a new one from Radio Shack. In that case, you'd only lose data while making the swap. For that, just sync to your computer and then sync after the swap and you're good to go for another year or two.
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Valid point about the battery but it's easy to get around. The lithium secondary battery could be removable as well. It could be like a watch battery or like one on a motherboard. They could easily use a battery the size of a watch battery and have it sit underneath the main battery. That's wouldn't take up much room at all. When it dies after a year or two, just pop it out and put in a new one from Radio Shack. In that case, you'd only lose data while making the swap. For that, just sync to your computer and then sync after the swap and you're good to go for another year or two.
    Actually, I never thought of the data-dispersal problem myself, but having a second coin-cell battery should be a fairly easy workaround. In fact, don't put it under the battery; make it a side slot-loading style battery. Way back when, I owned a HP Jornada 568 (I know...*shudder*), and it had a tiny pop-out coin-cell along the left side that worked great; and was smaller than an SD slot. This way, when that started to go bad, I could replace it with the main battery still in the device, and not lose any info. And vice-versa. It was clever, it worked well, and I'm not sure why no one's done it since...
    What is the life expectancy of the Treo's (300 & 600) battery?

Realistically, do batteries, whether built-in or not, really last effectively more than 2 years?

And, with today's ever-changing technology, who really keeps phones that long? I bet not too many treo 300 owners-they are all upgrading to the 600!
    What is the life expectancy of the Treo's (300 & 600) battery?

Realistically, do batteries, whether built-in or not, really last effectively more than 2 years?

And, with today's ever-changing technology, who really keeps phones that long? I bet not too many treo 300 owners-they are all upgrading to the 600!
    That's the one thing that will make me accept the non-removable battery. Say it lasts for at least a year. We all know there will be a new Treo or some other device by then that we'll all be drooling over. So then who cares about the battery, right? My main concern is that even though the battery should get 5-6 hours of talk time, you still can't have a spare with you just in case or have one charging while one's in the unit. Oh well.
  16.    #36  
    That is a good point about the data loss during a battery change but I think Handspring could have easily designed a solution for that if they wanted to (like that secondary lithium power cell). It would have been worth it to me, even if it would mean adding a little thickness to the phone.

It's unfortunate that the life of the device is limited to the life of the battery.

Most people don't think of a battery as being consumable. After a certain number of charging cycles, your battery will no longer charge fully and will not give you its initial performance. This is due to normal wear and tear, and unfortunately, you can do nothing about it. You do have a couple of options at this point, however. You can dispose of your battery and buy a new one, or you can have the worn-out battery refurbished.

Lithium Ion (LiIon) is the newest technology in portable power. LiIon will deliver roughly twice the run time of a comparable NiMH battery. LiIon batteries are more expensive, however, and are available for a very limited number of devices. They must also be charged by a charger designed specifically for LiIon batteries. LiIon technology also has a life span of about 400 charge/discharge cycles and is completely immune to memory effect.
    I've had my current phone for less than a year and I'm already starting to get shorter and shorter battery life per charge. Like many other people, I don't WANT to buy a new $500+ phone every year! I still believe that the inability to swap out batteries on the Treo 600 is the Achilles Heel to an otherwise near-perfect product.

RayUSA
    Last edited by RayUSA; 08/05/2003 at 05:17 PM.
    I don't get the big deal with removable or not. My Kyo 6035 has a removable one. I have never had a need for a second battery. I use my 6035 just about 24/7 for personal use but mostly for my Real Estate business and have never been caught with a dead battery. And I have just about every program overclocked all the time which did reduce battery time a bit but never have I been caught totally drained.
    Maybe it all has to do with habits. At night I slap it in the charger. If I get low on the road I use the car charger but this is usually on weekends away from charging. If I travel I always have my wall charger with me but don't really use it. It's amazing how easy it is to find an outlet just about anywhere if I needed it.
    On the other hand, my wife uses a 6035 as well but not very often. She constantly finds it dead in her purse with all info gone. This is because she refuse to have the will power to plug it in at night. I even put a charge cradle on her bureau so she can just slip it in and charge! Still she kills the thing at least once a week.

Now I know the 6035 supposedly has legendary battery power, I could not charge it for days and be O.K.
    So am I just spoiled or are my good charging habits paying off?
    BTW
    The Battery in my Kyo 6035 is a 3.6v 1.55Ah Lithium Ion.
    In case anyone wondered.
    speclcajun,

I hear ya! But I got tired of talking about this subject here.

With the size of the Treo battery, you will only be in trouble if you are taking your Treo on a two-week safari, with no power (not even from a car). Even then, chances are you'll turn the radio off because of the lack of signal.

But seriously, other than extreme cases, this won't be a problem. IMO, this is a good tradeoff that HS took that will affect very few people. Some people are probably too used to having backup batteries (as a result, their patterns of charging are different) and they feel very uncomfortable without the ability to use them.
  20.    #40  
    Originally posted by silverado
    But I got tired of talking about this subject here.

With the size of the Treo battery, you will only be in trouble if you are taking your Treo on a two-week safari, with no power (not even from a car). Even then, chances are you'll turn the radio off because of the lack of signal.

But seriously, other than extreme cases, this won't be a problem. IMO, this is a good tradeoff that HS took that will affect very few people. Some people are probably too used to having backup batteries (as a result, their patterns of charging are different) and they feel very uncomfortable without the ability to use them.
    Well I agree that there HAS been a lot of discussion on the Treo that may grow tiresome after a while, but I don't think the battery issue is any more or less trivial than talking about colors, flip covers, and ear piece bumps.

Regarding not knowing how to survive without a backup battery, that's not true, nor was it my point. Many types of skilled and organized people use the concept of backups with their equipment (military and police, film crew units, medical professionals, etc.) It's not that you don't know HOW to manage your charging schedule, it's about ZERO DOWNTIME and being prepared for anything in any situation (not to mention battery failure, which yes, DOES happen). It's not THAT crazy a concept...

I don't always have the luxury of sleeping a full night before I'm on the go again, nor do I always have time to wait for my phone to charge fully. With two batteries, one can always be charging while I use the other one. It's simple! If you don't need this and would rather wait for your battery to charge, then you wouldn't HAVE to remove the one battery at all.

I never said that this will deter me from getting a Treo 600. I was just expressing a valid point for future versions. I thought this discussion was about getting people to think about things like this?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast