Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I actually get SMS spam yesterday. It's Sprint saying that now available is AIM for Vision. I say, cool, so I check it out. It says go to Sprint.com, I find nothing.

Then I find this:
    http://www.aim.com/wireless/

I say, cool, so I check it out. Well, I have a Vision phone. I have Sprint. It all says I can use AIM. But nowhere to download. No instructions that are clear. How the heck do we use it? I haven't put my money down for VeriChat yet. What's up?
    You can download the AIM client for a fee here in the US or for free over the Europe. There are a ton of problems with it and everyone I've seen says Verichat is better. I use it myself and couldn't be happier. Indeed I'm honored to be their first lifetime subscriber.
    Dear strongbad,

I use AIM Ver 1.1 Build 5, which may be the "non-Vision" branded version of AIM... but I have had no trouble with the app. I use it a couple times each day for the past month or so since buying my Treo 300 (but have also used it for 7 months prior on a Kyocera 6035) and I have never had a "real" problem.

I use AIM periodically and I do not want it "on" all of the time. I did forget to disconnect the Vision connection and it did not seem to drastically drain-the-battery.

I agree with Kurt though, Verichat looks to be a kick-but app since you can have multilple IM platforms. I use AIM because I'd rather not pay for Verichat "right now anyway" and I only use AIM a couple times a day.

Follow Kurts advice, for a free version I think you can download it from the AOL UK site: http://www.aol.co.uk/aim/palm/

Fellow Treo 300 User,
    Dave
  4.    #4  
    Yeah, I've used the free UK AIM client. Fatal error city. I guess I should just put down the money for VeriChat. And I guess the difference is that AIM is built in to some Vision phones (hence the unavailability of download). But since we're more of a Palm phone we have to settle with Palm OS clients.

Thanks for your help.
    AIM for Vision isn't a program to download. It's a client that you use through a Vision portal. It works the same way that AIM did with 2G phones in that respect, if you ever used it. However, that portal isn't available for us and we can't use it because we have Treos. It won't work on the Samsung i330 either, basically, it won't work with Palm smartphones. So we have to use a Palm application, whether it's AIM or Verichat. I went with Verichat because of the features. Sprint hasn't been very good with getting Vision services to work correctly with Palms, as we all know with Shortmail. Oh well, it's the price we pay...
  6.    #6  
    Ok thanks, that cleared it up. Sux for us. Oh well, we have cool gadets. Beats some lousy phone only device.

Oh and one more thing, flyers.. TROGDORRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
    Try this page:

http://www.dreampages.com/sprint3g/aim.htm

The 1st link is what I found. In AOL's beta page there was a link to the Vision AIM test, but I couldn't find the exact AOL link. Try the above and see what luck ya'll have.

I should have my Treo by the end of the week, so hopefully I have it figured out by then.
    This was taken from the actual AOL Anywhere Beta Page:

1. Launch your handset's browser.
    Note: Some Sprint Vision handsets, such as the Sanyo 4900, have a WEB key which allows you to launch your browser even though your 3G Internet connection is always on unless you are out of network range.

2. Select the "Go To URL" menu option

3. Enter then navigate to the following URL:

wim2.aol.com/?service=Sprint3G

4. Bookmark this page for easier future access. Note: You may do this via the WEB key on your handset.

See if that works.

BTW, there is a Vision AOL Mail too:

Note: Instead of going through the steps listed below, you may also do this, from Sprint Vision home page, select Messaging then Email.

Note: Some Sprint Vision handsets, such as the Sanyo 4900, have a WEB key which allows you to launch your browser even though your 3G Internet connection is always on unless you are out of network range.

sprintvision.aol.com

4. Bookmark this page for easier future access.
    Note: You may do this via the WEB key on your handset.
    There is a Vision AIM but it doesn't work with the Treo. If you go directly to the link it won't work. I asked Sprint and they confirmed it.
    Originally posted by Movemint
    This was taken from the actual AOL Anywhere Beta Page:

wim2.aol.com/?service=Sprint3G

4. Bookmark this page for easier future access. Note: You may do this via the WEB key on your handset.

See if that works.

BTW, there is a Vision AOL Mail too:

Note: Instead of going through the steps listed below, you may also do this, from Sprint Vision home page, select Messaging then Email.

sprintvision.aol.com

4. Bookmark this page for easier future access.
    Note: You may do this via the WEB key on your handset.
    Everything you just listed is for use with regular Sprint Vision phones and NOT for Palm or PPC smartphones. None of that will work.
    Originally posted by strongbad
    Ok thanks, that cleared it up. Sux for us. Oh well, we have cool gadets. Beats some lousy phone only device.

Oh and one more thing, flyers.. TROGDORRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
    Every time I look at myself, I can't believe how awesome I am.
    To any senior members...

Can someone confirm, with me, that YES you can hookup AIM Ver 1.1 Build 5 on a Treo 300?

I use it everyday without fail and yet many say that they get all sorts of errors? Couldn't it be that a "hack" or another app could be causing a fault with the operation of the AIM app if it is looking for the same memory location?

I just can't be halucinating the functioning app right?

My Treo 300 apps currently loaded
    (besides the obvious standard apps):

PHONE
    PRL: 10019
    Firmware Rev: 1.02

APPS
    Adobe Reader
    AIM Ver 1.1 (App)
    Bally Slots
    Bejeweled
    Diddle Bug
    Eudora and Eudor Web
    Silver Screen 2.9.9
    Filez
    FlyZip
    Lemmings Trial
    Majonng
    Splash Suite Trial
    Snapper Mail (and all other apps inlcuded)
    Today
    X-Master

HACKS
    Treo Keyboard Utils 1.4

PQA
    eBay
    ESL Bank
    Google
    Travelocity

Help... am I crazy?!?

Dave
    AIM 1.1 on my Treo never crashes. Used to have 1.0 that crashed periodically and can't handle more than 50 in buddy lists. You hear different stories on this board. Some work some don't. I hardly use it though, but my kids with 200+ buddies use it just fine. IMO, since everybody has different apps installed then it will be hard to troubleshoot what causes the problems.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I have used AIM for 10 months and never had a problem. connects fine and stays connected. buddy lists fines etc.
    If you have any hacks installed or jack flash loads, you might try pulling them out for testing. always reset to clean out the cache when testing btw
    JON
  15.    #15  
    The crappy one I used was from some UK link. I don't think it was 1.1. Where is the 1.1 link? Because AIM site has a broken link.
    Sorry bout the earlier posts. I don't yet have my Treo, Just assumed it would work.

What about AOL for Palm V. 3.0? It has both AOL mail and IM functions. Not sure if it works for the Treo or on Vision, but if anyone would like a copy of it, rather than paying AOL $20, let me know in a PM.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I tried the AOL app that Movemint graciously sent me, but apparently you need to be a a full AOL member (not just an AIM user) to be able to use that (thanks anyway Movemint). So I decided to try to UK version of AIM for Palm that someone posted, and so far it's working like a charm. No errors yet (knock on wood), and I've been able to IM another user. And it's free!
    Originally posted by procure
    I tried the AOL app that Movemint graciously sent me, but apparently you need to be a a full AOL member (not just an AIM user) to be able to use that (thanks anyway Movemint). So I decided to try to UK version of AIM for Palm that someone posted, and so far it's working like a charm. No errors yet (knock on wood), and I've been able to IM another user. And it's free!
    You need to be an AOL member to log onto any version of AOL for any platform. Good luck with the UK client of AIM. I haven't heard of any long term success stories for it.
    Where do you get the 1.1 version? I've got the UK 1.0 version (which my kids use, but they've hit the buddy list < 50 issue) and I've got VeriChat, which I use.
    Originally posted by WFTarHeel
    Where do you get the 1.1 version? I've got the UK 1.0 version (which my kids use, but they've hit the buddy list < 50 issue) and I've got VeriChat, which I use.
    www.aim.com

When you select the platform, there should be Palm listed. You can also get it from www.handango.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast