Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The User's Manual for both Treo 600 models has now been posted on the FCC website.

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/c...#39;O8FBW' (CDMA)

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/c...#39;O8FDK' (GSM)

Edit: I've opened both files just to check them out. A few things to note so far.. The sheer size of the Sprint PCS version (232 pages compared to 80 for the GSM Version) and heres a big one for alot of you. No Cradle Included!

Edit2: There's about 100 pages of Safety Information on the Sprint version, and the 80 that are in the GSM version each have 2 pages per Acrobat page.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 07/28/2003 at 06:36 PM.
    An interesting item in the Sprint CDMA manual is on page 4:

When wireless mode is on, the Treo provides approximately 4 hours of talk time or approximately 10 days of standby time on the PCS, 1900 MHz band. Talk time is slightly lower when roaming on the cellular 800 MHz band.
    And we all thought it was dual-band PCS. Hmmmm....
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    My favorites so far...

"Note: The Treo speaker includes a large magnet, so be sure not to store your Treo near credit cards or other items that could become demagnetized."

"Some third-party applications let you play MP3 music on your Treo 600. If music is playing through the internal speaker or headset, and a call arrives, you can still hear the phone ringing softly. The music continues playing but you won’t hear it
    during your call. Go to your third-party application to stop the music."

"Note: The headset designed for previous models of Treo is not compatible with the Treo 600."

Gee, thanks.

"SMS Send and receive email and text messages, or chat."

Yes, folks, that says SEND and receive.

"Games Play exciting games with full-color graphics, sound, and vibration."

Wow, a Vision phone that has the features that they advertise.

"Ringers Personalize your PCS Phone by downloading ring tones. You can use Sound preferences to assign these tones to different applications and speed dial Favorites buttons.

Screen Savers Download unique images to Picture Mail. Use these images as wallpaper, or make it easy to tell who’s calling by assigning specific images to numbers in your speed dial Favorites buttons."

In the available accessories section:
    "Extended Battery Provides up to 3 hours of continuous talk time or up to 1 week of continuous standby time."
    "SMS Send and receive email and text messages, or chat."

Yes, folks, that says SEND and receive.

Don't believe it. I made precisely this same conclusion a year ago when I downloaded the T300 manual from the FCC. I was shocked, to put it mildly, when, instead of the heading "Sending and receiving SMS messages", the printed manual that came with my T300 read "Receiving SMS messages." I attributed the difference to faulty memory until I reopened the PDF. Either Sprint didn't have the technology ready in time for the product's release, or, more likely, they simply lied.
    Here are some of mine:

"Your phone is not a toy. Do not allow children to play with it as they could hurt themselves and
    others, damage the phone or make calls that increase your phone bill."

Also the Treo has a built in "blackbox" to record system events and such so that in event of a crash, dialing ##377 will show what led up to the crash.

I am starting to be doubtful on Handsprings implementation of a disabled touchscreen. On Sony miniDV cameras they do the same thing, but to reenable it all you ahve to do is tap a specified corner. I wish that Handspring did that, so that if in the middle of call you wanted to use the screen you could just tap a corner and get access again. It seems that you are restricted to the 5 way nav if you had selected theoption of disabling touchscreen during calls.

Yes, I actually read theentire Sprint manual. Notice that mail does not come with the sprint Treo 600 - HS says to download it from their site if you need email. (So that Sprint can push buisness connect nonetheless)

I like that you can DISABLE Location services! Thank god for privacy. They also mention that location services has possible future applications to it. No other mentions.

I totally didn't know this: you can use the keyboard to quickly enter start and end times for events! Wow! that makes that horrible process instantly better. Amazing that after all these years I still find things to be discovered.

Truthfully, there wasn't much new in the manual. It's amazing that we have been able to gather so much information prior to the release of this device, that the manual doesn't add much!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Anyone else curious why they would put the microphone on the BACK of the unit and not the front? I can understand if they were trying to maximize space on the front, but the mic on my Treo 300 is the size of a pinhole, it's not very big.
    Originally posted by Gregg
    An interesting item in the Sprint CDMA manual is on page 4:

"When wireless mode is on, the Treo provides approximately 4 hours of talk time or approximately 10 days of standby time on the PCS, 1900 MHz band. Talk time is slightly lower when roaming on the cellular 800 MHz band."

And we all thought it was dual-band PCS. Hmmmm....
    Is the 800 MHz "cellular" band analog or digital?
  8. mus
    please ignore... I finally got through to the correct link for the GSM
    Originally posted by silverado
    Is the 800 MHz "cellular" band analog or digital?
    My guess is that it still is dual-band digital, but they do distinguish between PCS 1900 MHZ and cellular 900 MHz.

I have always equated cellular w/ analog service.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    There is a note that if you do a reset on the T600 and wireless mode was on, that the T600 should reactivate wireless mode (no need for TreoTools or the like).
    But in that same note it also said that Vision will not automaticly be reenabled - they suggest going into blazer after resetting if you want vision enabled.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu
    But in that same note it also said that Vision will not automaticly be reenabled - they suggest going into blazer after resetting if you want vision enabled.
    But at least the radio would be on so there's no risk of accidentally leaving the phone off and missing calls.
    Does this come with a case?

I saw a case wraped around one of these in one of the other threads.

Mike
    Slip-cover/sleeve is apparently supplied.
    Originally posted by Gregg

My guess is that it still is dual-band digital, but they do distinguish between PCS 1900 MHZ and cellular 900 MHz.

I have always equated cellular w/ analog service.
    I believe "cellular" simply means the standard node-based system of wireless telephony that uses cell towers to transmit and receive radio waves that are fed into a mobile switching station, thus enabling wireless GSM or CDMA communication (as opposed to peer-to-peer telephony, landline telephony, etc. models)

'Course I could be wrong.
    Or maybe not ... http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/c/cellular.html

(shows how much I know. never trust a drunken llama)

For digital communications, several competing cellular systems exist, including GSM and CDMA.
    When they say "competing" do they mean "competing against cellular" or "two competing cellular systems"?

Confusion reigns.
    Ah. CDMA and GSM are "two competing cellular systems."

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/c/CDMA.html

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/G/GSM.html

Ergo, CDMA is considered "cellular." Hope that clears it up.

Yes, folks, it took three posts to get it straight. Doy!
    In a previous post, pasted from the manual:

(snip)
    "Note: The headset designed for previous models of Treo is not compatible with the Treo 600."

Gee, thanks.
    (snip)

yet, on page 43 of the manual (pg 57 of the PDF), it says you can answer calls by pressing the headset button.

So which is it? The Nokia-types that we use today have the answer/end on them, and the generic 2.5mm ones don't. There are pros and cons of both, but I just wonder if the manual might have contradictory info. Heaven forbid.
    Hi,

due to some stupid reason I can not download GSM manual - the download speed is close to zero and several attempts to get it were not successful. I would really appresiate if somebody would mail me GSM manual to vitaliyv@svitonline.com

Thanx in advance

Vitaliy
    I remember reading years ago that American companies want to move digital GSM and CDMA (in America) service back onto the old 800mhz AMPS band, because they bought up all the spectrum thinking about all ths AMPS phones they wanted to sell.

Problem was CDMA came along and suddenly they didn't need to own all that spectrum anymore. Infact, the phones didn't even use it. Now thats a problem!

So ATT and the others have been pushing to move everything back to the bands they already owned. Don't know what came of that. Maybe this is a indication that they' were sucessful.

Quick Edit: My fav. is the ability to be able to see who's somebody's speed dial number is without dialing it. I know its not new (i.e newly known) but damn will it be useful.

Also I doubt there are many here who've used one but my friend who has the Sprint Digital Link springboard (we bought it when they we're doing that free promotion) has a "special ring tone for this favorite" feature in his speed dial options. Nice to see they've broght it back.
    Last edited by chrisfoster; 07/29/2003 at 12:01 PM.
    -- Go Illini!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast