Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    Anyone else curious why they would put the microphone on the BACK of the unit and not the front? I can understand if they were trying to maximize space on the front, but the mic on my Treo 300 is the size of a pinhole, it's not very big.
    Yeah, I said that, what's your point? You wanna make something of it? J/K
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

Yeah, Vision is Sprint. I'm not sure if this is what mpk65281 was referring too, but it looks like Sprint is working on real SMS. Everyone knows their Shortmail is a joke. Sprint employees on forums like sprintusers.com are saying they've heard from reliable sources that Sprint is finally going to offer true phone to phone SMS. Hopefully that's what will be AYCE.
    I love the way sms works on T-mo. If sprint cant get their act together and support true sms, I would swith if the cdma version of the treo comes out way b4 the gsm version is release in the USA.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe

I love the way sms works on T-mo. If sprint cant get their act together and support true sms, I would swith if the cdma version of the treo comes out way b4 the gsm version is release in the USA.
    I admit Sprint's Shortmail is a joke. But I wouldn't leave Sprint or not join them because of it. For my Treo 300, the application Treo300SMS automatically retrieves Shortmail and delivers it to the phone so it mimics true SMS. Yeah, real SMS would be nice, but I won't lose any sleep over it if it doesn't happen and I'm stuck with Shortmail.
    Can someone explain to me what Shortmail means on Sprint? I don't know what to call it, but my Treo 300 has an app called "SMS" and my experience with it is that it doesn't have to go check anything. When an email is sent to [myphonenumber]@messaging.sprintpcs.com, then a message is pushed to my device.

So what functionality does Treo300SMS add to this process?

Sending is another thing altogether, I realize that, and that is the main difference that I perceive between Sprint's implementation of SMS and true SMS on the GSM networks. (The "SMS" app has no send option.) But on the receiving end, I don't understand letsgoflyers81's comment about the Treo300SMS application, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something big here that could enhance my experience.

Another way to put it is, what is this message that is currently being pushed to my device? Is it not the message that was sent, (truncated to fit <160 characters)? Hmm...man, I guess I really am clueless about this subject.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by skydog
    Can someone explain to me what Shortmail means on Sprint? I don't know what to call it, but my Treo 300 has an app called "SMS" and my experience with it is that it doesn't have to go check anything. When an email is sent to [myphonenumber]@messaging.sprintpcs.com, then a message is pushed to my device.

So what functionality does Treo300SMS add to this process?

Sending is another thing altogether, I realize that, and that is the main difference that I perceive between Sprint's implementation of SMS and true SMS on the GSM networks. (The "SMS" app has no send option.) But on the receiving end, I don't understand letsgoflyers81's comment about the Treo300SMS application, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something big here that could enhance my experience.

Another way to put it is, what is this message that is currently being pushed to my device? Is it not the message that was sent, (truncated to fit <160 characters)? Hmm...man, I guess I really am clueless about this subject.

Thanks!
    As you know, with real SMS you send a message and it is delivered straight to the recipient's phone. They can reply. With Shortmail, if you send someone a message, all that is sent is a notification of new Shortmail. You then have to log in to the Shortmail page through Vision or Wireless Web (like a WAP page) and retrieve the message. You have go through a page like that to send as well. The one positive aspect of Shortmail is that it can also be sent and checked from a computer in case you don't have your phone or you don't have service. If you send Shortmail to someone not on Sprint, it will show up as an SMS, and if someone sends an SMS, it shows up at Shortmail. There are also one way text messages that can be sent by e-mail as phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com but that's different.

For the Treo 300, Shortmail doesn't work because of the Palm OS. The app says SMS, but since Sprint doesn't have SMS, it's useless. There's no way to send or retrieve Shortmail with the built in software. Treo300SMS is an application that works together with the built in SMS app to make Shortmail work. There's also one for the Samsung i300, and one of the i500 should be out soon. When Shortmail is sent, Treo300SMS is triggered, and it goes through PDAapps' proxy, logs into Sprint's server, gets the Shortmail, and displays it on the phone. You can send Shortmail the same way but in reverse. Since Treo300SMS automatically fetches the Shortmail and displays it, it mimics true SMS functionality.

Why did Sprint start such a bass ackwards system? Who knows. The one other advantage is that Shortmail is unlimited with unlimited Vision or Wireless Web. So with a regular Sprint phone there's an extra step involved in sending or receiving "SMS." With the Treo300SMS, it's pretty close to real SMS functionalty. BTW, Sprint is supposedly setting up REAL SMS and should be starting it up soon. At least that's the rumor of the week. I hope that clears things up.
    Ah, I think I understand. So the message that's showing up for me right now is not (necessarily) the whole message that was sent, but rather enough to notify me that I have a message waiting. Which, of course, I can't retrieve (except maybe with Blazer?). You're right, that is bad.

Probably the reason I haven't had to deal with this really is because no one I know uses SMS. So the messages I get are really receive-only notifications - breaking news, stock quotes, and the like. I didn't realize that I was potentially missing some of the message, and I never had to worry about sending a message. AIM was a different story, but the app I was using took care of the SMS implementation behind the scenes, so I never had to think about how it was different from my old 180 with T-Mobile.

I guess I will have to check out Treo300SMS to cover me until the 600 comes out with its (hopefully) built-in fully-functional SMS implementation.

Thanks again.
    Ah, I think I understand. So the message that's showing up for me right now is not (necessarily) the whole message that was sent, but rather enough to notify me that I have a message waiting. Which, of course, I can't retrieve (except maybe with Blazer?). You're right, that is bad.

Probably the reason I haven't had to deal with this really is because no one I know uses SMS. So the messages I get are really receive-only notifications - breaking news, stock quotes, and the like. I didn't realize that I was potentially missing some of the message, and I never had to worry about sending a message. AIM was a different story, but the app I was using took care of the SMS implementation behind the scenes, so I never had to think about how it was different from my old 180 with T-Mobile.

I guess I will have to check out Treo300SMS to cover me until the 600 comes out with its (hopefully) built-in fully-functional SMS implementation.

Thanks again.
    No problem. Treo300SMS costs $20. But if you call Sprint and explain the situation and push hard enough, they should give you a $20 credit for it. Just explain that their website says messaging works and the manual itself says it does too, and you shouldn't have to pay for a 3rd party app to get a feature to work that should on its won. Lots of people myself included have gotten credits for it, so go for it.
    Is it just me or is the link to the GSM user manual not working correctly? I keep getting the CDMA manual when I go to the page.
    Resistance is futile. You will assimilated.

Originally posted by MrMagooAZ
    Is it just me or is the link to the GSM user manual not working correctly? I keep getting the CDMA manual when I go to the page.
    I went to the website noted and clicked on user manual, but the pdf file only shows 61 pages of an application, and is not specific to the 600 nor any other device. What am I doing wrong?
    Never mind. I just realized I should be looking at the info in the middle of the page, not the user manual.
    Ah, I think I understand.
    For some additional clarification, see this post of mine. One technicality is that what the Treo (300) calls an SMS is really what Sprint calls a One-Way Message. True SMS is a GSM technology.

Also note that if you get an SMS / One-Way Message sent to you via yourphonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com rather than http://messaging.sprintpcs.com/, the body will be limited to 91 characters, not 160 characters, as I note here (that post says that the 91-character limit also applies to the web-to-SMS gateway, but they've since fixed that).
    anyone know of a good link to the cdma treo 600 manual? the ones in the other discussions send me to the fcc, but upon downloading the pdf, i get an error message. is there any other site to get this manual? thanks.
    ricochet
    When the TREO 300 manual became available prior to its release last year I scoured it for mentions of mac compatibility. There was none, and sprint steadfastly refused to support mac customers. At least, that was my experience and according to their website if you have a mac TREO 300 isn't recommended.

In the TREO 600 manual it notes mac compatibility, and I'm pleased as pie.
    will overcharging deteriorate the batter because on the 300 there was a lil mechanism to prevent overcharging...

in a perfect world itd be nice if it could sense that it was overcharging and redirect it to a seperate circuit which can power the battery when it is in "critical"....
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600

in a perfect world itd be nice if it could sense that it was overcharging and redirect it to a seperate circuit which can power the battery when it is in "critical"....
    That's called a battery. A backup battery if you will.
    no a battery is considered a source...im talking about a built in circuit within the phone to which electrons are redirected to and stored for bettery regeneration without an electrical outlet
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Something that stores electricity for future use. How is that not a battery?
    ROTFLOL ...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast