Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I had a Samsung A460 before my Treo 300. I bought a Jabra headset for it (standard 2.5mm jack that works in all cell phones - I'm certain of this, because I used it on a Kyocera 2135 once or twice) and it had an answer/end button on it. Worked fine. It also activated the voice dialing on the phone, which is something that would be really great - push the button and it dials Voice Command - but somehow I don't think that's going to happen. :/
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81
    Anyone else curious why they would put the microphone on the BACK of the unit and not the front? I can understand if they were trying to maximize space on the front, but the mic on my Treo 300 is the size of a pinhole, it's not very big.
    I think it's more toward the bottom. Remember, we will hold this up to our ear, and it has to aim the microphone down to catch our voices.

Interstingly, I am now going to miss the privacy of the Treo300's flip because you could bring the mouthpiece closer to your mouth and talk quietly if needed... Now, it would be like a walkie talkie (move Treo to mouth, talk...move to ear, listen) if you want to whisper and not broadcast your call to the world.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    "SMS Send and receive email and text messages, or chat."

Yes, folks, that says SEND and receive.

Don't believe it. I made precisely this same conclusion a year ago when I downloaded the T300 manual from the FCC. I was shocked, to put it mildly, when, instead of the heading "Sending and receiving SMS messages", the printed manual that came with my T300 read "Receiving SMS messages." I attributed the difference to faulty memory until I reopened the PDF. Either Sprint didn't have the technology ready in time for the product's release, or, more likely, they simply lied.
    Except that this time they take it a step further. They not only show an SMS screen with a SEND button, but they also talk about the much hyped "Chat" version of SMS. It would be HUGE if they did not include true two way SMS built-in now.

But then again....you would THINK that they would include an email client (if even just shareware!) so that it could do at least 80% of what they advertise out of the box.
    Originally posted by mpk65281

I think it's more toward the bottom. Remember, we will hold this up to our ear, and it has to aim the microphone down to catch our voices.

Interstingly, I am now going to miss the privacy of the Treo300's flip because you could bring the mouthpiece closer to your mouth and talk quietly if needed... Now, it would be like a walkie talkie (move Treo to mouth, talk...move to ear, listen) if you want to whisper and not broadcast your call to the world.
    Going by the FCC pics and manual, it looks like the mic is at the bottom, but towards the back. I understand it'll be angled differently than with the 300, but still. I would think having the mic in the front instead of back would be better.
    Anyone else curious why they would put the microphone on the BACK of the unit and not the front? I can understand if they were trying to maximize space on the front, but the mic on my Treo 300 is the size of a pinhole, it's not very big.
    Having the mic on the back may help with wind noise. Skydiving, hang gliding para-gliding etc.
    Originally posted by newtreouser

Having the mic on the back may help with wind noise. Skydiving, hang gliding para-gliding etc.
    Good point. I hate it when I'm skydiving and I go to make a call and the other person can't hear what I'm saying. Looks like Handspring thought of everything.
    Number of colours supported is 3375 colours or 11.5 bit colour

Who has heard of 1/2 bit colour?

Bizarre

Cheers
    Brad
    putting the microphon on the bottom of the device is probably better than putting it where it's on the current treo. Just hold your current treo with the flip lid closed to your ear. That's about the way you'd use a treo 600. Now if the microphone would be at the bottom of the keys like it is on the current treos you'd press it against your cheek. The microphon on the treo 600, though, will point towards your mouth.

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    I'm SO glad they stopped using the scroll up key for sending a call to voicemail (call reject)! I reject one or two calls a week by accident when a call comes while I'm hitting the scroll up key. Am I the only one?! It is incredibly annoying!!

Back space is still not ideal, but it is used less frequently than scroll up (which is used for scrolling in lists, documents, web pages, menus, switching between menus, etc). I guess without a dedicated End button like most regular mobile phones, they have to pick one of the available ones. Backspace is a far better choice.

More generally, I've always wished my 270 would have a momentary pause with a clear message on the screen that it is receiving a call (and not accepting keyboard or screen input) just before it starts ringing. I hope they have implemented this in the 600. That would at least get you to stop hitting buttons or touching the screen just before a call comes in, thinking the device is just not responding, or be afraid to hit any buttons whenever the devices seems to be hanging because you think it might be receiving a call and you don't want to screw it up. It is also currently possible to hang up calls by accident when using the stylus if the screen changes from under you all of a sudden because of an incoming call.

These are all subtle issues that need to be dealt with well in a converged device.
    Last edited by silverado; 07/30/2003 at 05:03 PM.
    I've done that a few times, and it's really annoying. It hasn't happened enough to make me crazy, but still - it's there...
    from the manual, the G will be able to send an sms to more than one recipient. You will be charge per recipint though.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    from the manual, the G will be able to send an sms to more than one recipient. You will be charge per recipint though.
    ...but...under AYCE vision plans, SMS are included.

AYCE???
    All You Can Eat
    Originally posted by marcus
    All You Can Eat
    Ah, thanks.

Ah, thanks.
    It's funny, I went quite some time not knowing what AYCE (as well as IMHO -- "In my humble opinion") meant and now, for some reason, I feel like I can toss around those terms...IMHO.
    I'm curious about this info on page 31 of T600 GSM manual:

• Charge your Treo whenever you’re at your desk. The Li-Ion battery in your Treo has a much longer useful life when it is topped off frequently, versus charging it after it is fully drained.
    I know this is true for all types of Lead-Acid batteries, since electrode degradation/sulfatation etc. occurs if battery is not fully charged.
    The Li-Ion and Li-Poly has similar charge characteristic to Lead-Acid (current limited in first phase, voltage limited in second phase). Since Lithium is chemically very aggressive, the useful life of Li-Ions is supposedly around three years (regardless of being used or just stored) at room temperature and much less at higher temperatures. Cycle life is around 500 full cycles till capacity falls to 80% original
    I was never aware that the depth of the cycles can have an effect on Li-Ion life?

It's funny, I went quite some time not knowing what AYCE (as well as IMHO -- "In my humble opinion") meant and now, for some reason, I feel like I can toss around those terms...IMHO.
    I know, right? Over the years I've picked up on so many of the abbreviations but every once in a while I'll come across one that I don't know and I'll just feel completely lost. Oh well...

Vision=Sprint right? Sprint doesn't do sms, they may call it that, but we all know better.

On t-mo, you get a bucket of sms messages, even on flat data plan. You can but 500 sms for 3 bucks though.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe

Vision=Sprint right? Sprint doesn't do sms, they may call it that, but we all know better.

On t-mo, you get a bucket of sms messages, even on flat data plan. You can but 500 sms for 3 bucks though.
    Yeah, Vision is Sprint. I'm not sure if this is what mpk65281 was referring too, but it looks like Sprint is working on real SMS. Everyone knows their Shortmail is a joke. Sprint employees on forums like sprintusers.com are saying they've heard from reliable sources that Sprint is finally going to offer true phone to phone SMS. Hopefully that's what will be AYCE.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast