1.    #1  
    First of all, I realize that a lot of people on this site and over at sprintusers.com seem to feel that this topic has been discussed to death. Any post asking about if it is okay to use Sprint's unlimited Vision plan and a phone to connect a laptop to the Internet immediately draws "search for the answer," "read the FAQ" or "read this other thread" kind of replies. Which isn't really fantastically helpful. I have now read as much of TreoCentral's message boards as I can (including the two long and informative threads on Wireless Modem & PDAnet) and I have looked at sprintusers.com for this answer as well. It does seem that this topic has been discussed but there doesn't seem to be any solid conclusion. So I'd like to see if we can figure this out.

We all know we can connect a computer to the Internet through the Treo using Sprint's PCS Vision data service. The question is, what happens if we do so? Is this a breach of the ToS? Can Sprint even tell that we're doing this? Will they charge us more money? Will they cancel our service entirely?

All the discussion on this subject seems to indicate that it is okay to use Sprint's service to connect to the Internet in moderation.

Is that really the only conclusion? I mean, if this is as clear as we can get, that's fine, I guess. This conclusion at least means the Treo-as-modem thing is okay, but within limits (of which we have no real description). However, it would be nice to know if negative reprocussions really exist. Will we really get charged or "punished" for using the Treo this way? Has anyone had experience with this? What happens?!

So here we go:
    Has anyone actually received additional charges or had other problems with Sprint because they were using their Treo to connect a computer to the Internet?

Thanks!
    We all know we can connect a computer to the Internet through the Treo using Sprint's PCS Vision data service. The question is, what happens if we do so?
    Probably nothing...maybe
    Is this a breach of the ToS?
    Yes
    Can Sprint even tell that we're doing this?
    Most probably yes...
    Will they charge us more money?
    Probably not...but wouldn't go crazy on Kazaa either...
    Will they cancel our service entirely?
    Yes, they can technically cancel your 'vision' acct if they wanted and make you sign up for a air card.

Basically, the whole thing is as clear as mud. Of course it's against the TOS, and of course Sprint knows people are using their mobiles (not just the treo) as modem for laptop/pda, and of course Sprint is aware of apps like PDANet etc. But Sprint doesn't really seem to keen on enforcing the TOS and it probably is content with the whole ambiguity of the situation anyway. By leaving the TOS as is, they maitain their lucrative business accts with the aircards, while at the same time stem the ire of their consumer market by allowing the use of their mobiles as modems. I think they're basically trying to have the best of both worlds here and probalby don't mind as long as a small minority of geeks use their mobile as modems. Another factor here is the competition from Tmo for unlimited data via gprs w/o any restricitons. In fact, there even rumors that att will do the same soon. Sprint has to be aware of this and knows it can't get facist with its enforcement all of sudden especially with number portability just around the corner. So in the end, what does this all mean? Answer: Just like I stated before, mud. Use it but don't go crazy....
    Last edited by Gaurav; 07/28/2003 at 07:34 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    I think they're basically trying to have the best of both worlds here and probalby don't mind as long as a small minority of geeks use their mobile as modems.
    Shock! Horror! You're calling me a geek? Well mister maybe I should come over there and kick your --wait, the thousands of posts, the Treo in my pocket, the PDANet software, it's true! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

By leaving the TOS as is, they maitain their lucrative business accts with the aircards, while at the same time stem the ire of their consumer market by allowing the use of their mobiles as modems. I think they're basically trying to have the best of both worlds here and probalby don't mind as long as a small minority of geeks use their mobile as modems.

I think you are right. I recently spoke to customer service about this because I bought a Sanyo 6400 phone for $50 and I wanted to use it as a modem for my Treo 90. Sprint Customer care and Level 2 Technical Support specifically told me that I "can use my Sanyo 6400 phone as a modem with my Treo 90 without incurring any extra charges as long as I connect to Sprint servers and don't use it to connect my laptop or PC to the Internet". In the same breath, level 2 technical support at Sprint told me they do not support connecting a Treo 90 to a Vision cell phone.

Anyway, I bought a 10 inch data cable from www.supplynet.com for $30 to connect by Treo 90 and Sanyo 6400 cell phone and boy was I surprised at how great it worked. I find it to be just as fast surfing the Internet and getting my Email and using Palm VNC as my Treo 300.

I posted on the Treo 90 thread the proper configurarion to establish a Vision Connection with the Sanyo 6400 phone.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t35203/s.html