1.    #1  
    I had noticed that the picture of the Sprint Treo 600 on the FCC web site looked like it had a strange bulge where the earpiece is. You can see this clearly in this brighthand article.

Do you think that maybe this unit was the subject of a tough drop test and thus developed this bad bend in that location or is this a "feature" of the Sprint CDMA version?

Also, the article says that the two models have slightly different shapes. I can see that the prespective of the picture on the right is a little different and that probably explains why, for example, the screen looks longer. However, there might be some other subtle differences. For example, the antenna looks to be shaped a little differently.
    The bulge looks like a feature.

The sprint version look tapered from top to bottum and the bottom looks more pointy. The KB also looks lower on the device.

I like the look of the other model more, even the color.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by silverado
    ..looked like it had a strange bulge where the earpiece is.
    Probably just melted due to turbo drain
    The one I saw at the Sprint show (granted, it was some time back) defies all we've heard. It was the darker color with a Sprint logo, and was shaped like what Brighthand says will be the GSM one. So who knows?
    I have to say, if the CDMA one does end up looking like that article picture, I'm not happy. I like the shape of the one I saw at the Sprint show, which had the GSM shape (I guess).
    While you can definitely see a difference a shape, I think some of it is just the picture. It looks like the Sprint model was taken from a different angle. It looks like the camera wasn't shooting from straight ahead, but slightly overhead or the Treo was leaning forward. If that's not the case then there's a pretty significant difference in shape.
    Yep - I looked much closer at those pics, and there does seem to be an angle thing working on that darker one. Skews the perspective...
    Well this figures. The cooler looking GSM version of the Treo 600 has the FCC code "dark knight" (batman) while the uglier cdma version is called "boy wonder".

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Yeah, that's my guess. I have a feeling that while the earpiece looks different and the antenna too, overall, they're probably almost identical in shape.
    The more I see, I definitely like the look of the titanium GSM version better. I used to think the black Sprint one would be cool, but now it looks so "Radio Shack." But anyway, is it really that hard to offer more color choices for both GSM and CDMA versions? I think a blue-gray metallic would be nice.
    hi Silverado:

I think the only bump is the one that photographer took on the head before he took that awful picture. Here is another photo of "Robin" CDMA version from the Mobile Burn website that gives a better view. (I'm sure it is CDMA cause there's no SIM slot on the top).

However, it's hard to tell for sure what differences there will be between the two versions from the photos available so far.

"Handspring had already said these would be slightly different, noting that the GSM/GPRS version will weigh 5.9 ounces and the CDMA one just over six ounces. In addition, the casings are different colors and appear to have a slightly different shape."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RayUSA; 07/30/2003 at 07:49 PM.
    the SD slot is on top for both models. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Originally posted by ChemEngr
    the SD slot is on top for both models. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    No, you're correct. The SD slot is on top for both models. What I said was only the GSM version has the SIM card slot on top.
    Just checked the FCC photos. The GSM model has two slots on top. Hard to tell with the CDMA model photos. Thanks.
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I don't know...looking at the pics from the mobileburn website it is clear that the pics were from the sprint CDMA version now looking at the external pics from the FCC website...that is quite a change. That bulge on the earpiece kinda bothers me. I mean that is a big engineering change coming from an engineering standpoint (i.e. tooling costs), Does anyone know why there is a bulge on the CDMA version?
    I have actually seen two different Sprint branded phones in circulation. One at mobilburn which is just a black colored GSM version, and one at FCC with the earpiece nub. So your guess is as good as mine which one they finally come out with.