Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1.    #1  
    I live in Vancouver, BC and I'm wondering if anyone knows which carriers may release the Treo 600 in Canada and when. I believe the only carrier to offer the Treo line currently is Rogers. I hope Rogers will not be the only carrier to offer this phone, I will not switch to their network. Also, any idea as to when we can expect this phone? Bell took about 6 months after the US release to release the Kyocera 7135 in Canada. Hopefully we don't have to wait that long for the new Treo but that is probably what will happen.
  2.    #2  
    Bump
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by kazinvan
    I live in Vancouver, BC and I'm wondering if anyone knows which carriers may release the Treo 600 in Canada and when. I believe the only carrier to offer the Treo line currently is Rogers. I hope Rogers will not be the only carrier to offer this phone, I will not switch to their network. Also, any idea as to when we can expect this phone? Bell took about 6 months after the US release to release the Kyocera 7135 in Canada. Hopefully we don't have to wait that long for the new Treo but that is probably what will happen.
    I too live in Vancouver, and I expect a huge delay for Treo to get here. That's why you should order it from the states. : )
  4.    #4  
    The only problem with ordering from the US is that you will have a hard time activating it here. I tried that angle when the Kyocera 7135 was available in the US but not up here. Both Bell and Telus said they will not activate it, however Bell finally said that they would but in analog mode only! That sucks, no point. Now that the 7135 is available from both Bell and Telus I may just get that as I don't want to wait another year for the Treo to get here and even when it does it may only be on Rogers.
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by kazinvan
    The only problem with ordering from the US is that you will have a hard time activating it here. I tried that angle when the Kyocera 7135 was available in the US but not up here. Both Bell and Telus said they will not activate it, however Bell finally said that they would but in analog mode only! That sucks, no point. Now that the 7135 is available from both Bell and Telus I may just get that as I don't want to wait another year for the Treo to get here and even when it does it may only be on Rogers.
    Activate? Just take your old SIM card and put it in the new Treo.
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by conflagrare


    Activate? Just take your old SIM card and put it in the new Treo.
    Read kazinvan's posts again more carefully my friend. Though he doesn't explicity state it, both Bell and Telus are very likely CDMA networks in Canada (Kyocera 7135 is CDMA only) SIM cards work only in GSM network devices. Your assumption that he is currently a GSM user with a SIM card may not be correct. Rogers is a canadian GSM network that he stated he didn't want to switch to. Thusly we can connect the dots.

    -THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
  7.    #7  
    Good work Nautilus Man, both Telus and Bell are CDMA and I don't want to switch to Rogers. So, the problem remains and it looks like I will have to settle with a 7135 or stick with the two device strategy. The Tungsten T2 is a nice PDA, I may end up getting that instead of a new phone.
  8. #8  
    kazinvan,

    I dont know if Fido (Microcell) is available in BC, If it is then you can simply buy a sim card from them for 25 dollars and select a GPRS plan of your likeing.

    I use it (with 270) when in Toronto and my experience of their service has been fine.

    But, you will have to buy an unsubsidized Treo from Handspring and that may be on the expensive side when translated to CND funds.

    Regards.

    Note: As for CDMA carriers, I am not absolutely certain if the CDMA version of Treo 600 would work north of the border. But I have a friend who is able to use the voice part of his plan on his Treo 300 (CDMA) while travelling in Toronto. He is based in Buffalo, NY where he has a sprint plan. But I think its worth mentioning that he seems to be roaming on a local network, not sure which one. I wonder if its even possible to get an unsubsidized version of CDMA Treo 600.

    Hope the above helps !
    Last edited by Xenoepist; 08/07/2003 at 10:57 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks Xenoepist, Fido is available here, but I don't plan to switch to Fido as the GSM coverage here is not that of CDMA and I'm not willing to go back to a GSM network after happily using CDMA for the last while. Both Telus and Bell are CDMA and I plan to use one of the two. Both now have the Kyocera 7135 available so I may just go out and get that phone. It's here, and it's on the networks I want. Waiting a year for the chance that the Treo 600 will be released here on Telus or Bell is too much wait with no guarantee of a reward.

    Oh well...
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by kazinvan
    The only problem with ordering from the US is that you will have a hard time activating it here. I tried that angle when the Kyocera 7135 was available in the US but not up here. Both Bell and Telus said they will not activate it, however Bell finally said that they would but in analog mode only! That sucks, no point. Now that the 7135 is available from both Bell and Telus I may just get that as I don't want to wait another year for the Treo to get here and even when it does it may only be on Rogers.
    I think I may puke

    It will kill me knowing that while our brethren in the US and Europe will be happily using the coolest gadget on the planet, I will be stuck "Waiting For Treo"

    Anybody have any opinions about Rogers coverage vs Bell in Toronto these days? I'm on Bell, but would consider switching to Rogers if this is the only way I could get a Treo 600 when they first come out....
  11. #11  
    My experience has been that Bell's coverage is generally better than Rogers and in some places much better. Here in New Brunswick, Rogers has switched back to 850 for GSM and friends are reporting much better coverage than they received previously. Note, I was in a Radio Shack yesterday and was told that the phone was being announced on 8/26 (Radio Shack sells for the Rogers/ATT network). However, later in the day I spoke with someone at a Roger's kiosk and he knew nothing about the release. He did, however, say that the district manager was coming by today and that he would check with him. I'll post if I learn anything else. In the meantime, you might check with your local RadioShack to see if they have details. Apparently, a memo has been sent out to all RadioShacks about the upcoming release.
  12. geny's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    #12  
    Poor canadians...

    Don't complain too much hey, I am a canadian living in australia and I want the Treo 600!

    Which carrier here will allow me to use this devise? Can anyone help?

    Read my Post and answer: ttp://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35651

    Just use any carrier and be happy to live in canada, where when you want performance to happen, you got it!

    A french-canadian from Melbourne
    Geneviève Gilbert
    Chief Executive Officer
    Kastor Fakto interactive
    www.kastorfakto.com
  13. #13  
    I was in our local RadioShack last week and the clerk that I have been dealing with had spoken with the district manager about the 600. In New Brunswick Rogers is using the 850 band for GSM. The district manager questioned whether the 600 would work properly for GPRS when the 850 band is being utilized for voice. Can anyone shed light on this?
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by dmohr
    I was in our local RadioShack last week and the clerk that I have been dealing with had spoken with the district manager about the 600. In New Brunswick Rogers is using the 850 band for GSM. The district manager questioned whether the 600 would work properly for GPRS when the 850 band is being utilized for voice. Can anyone shed light on this?
    The Treo 600 GSM is quad band but I'm not sure which 4 bands it works on. I know it uses 900, 1800, and 1900 mhz, but I'm not sure about the 4th band. www.phonescoop.com says the other band is 800 mhz but www.treostore.com says it's 850 mhz. Depending on which one is right, it may or may not work on an 850 mhz frequency.
    Last edited by letsgoflyers81; 08/25/2003 at 06:53 AM.
  15. #15  
    Hold your horses ! 800 is just another name for a band it is infact 850Mhz...

    GSM 850 aka (GSM 800)

    GSM 850 is simply GSM technology operating in the Cellular (800 MHz / 850 MHz) frequency band. Both the technology and frequency band have been around for a long time, but only in 2002 were they combined.

    In the U.S. prior to 2002, GSM technology only operated in the PCS (1900 MHz) frequency band.

    GSM 850 addresses the needs of carriers with Cellular licenses switching from other technologies to GSM.

    Before the existence of GSM 850, the Cellular band was commonly referred to as the "800 MHz" band. "850 MHz" implies a different frequency band, but this is not the case. "800 MHz" and "850 MHz" refer to the exact same frequency band. 850 is technically a more accurate description of the frequency range, but 800 is the original, and more common term.
  16. #16  
    Does it make any sense that a phone operating at 850 would have difficulty using GPRS?
  17.    #17  
    Does anyone have news about availability in Canada? I'm still waiting to hear something, at least a carrier up here that plans to offer it.
  18. #18  
    I talk to the data rep at Rogers-Att in Quebec last week and there not sure if they will carry it, I will buy from Handspring sim unlocked as soon it's available

    sorry for my english im french

    Marc-Andre
  19.    #19  
    WAAAA, I WANT ONE!

    Why is it that the Canadian carriers take 6-12 months after release to offer a new device on their network? It's not like our networks are so different from those in the USA. Are the Canadian carriers ignored by the device manufacturers? It's a smaller market, but still millions of users. Can anyone tell me why the delay? It doesn't make sense to me. Thanks.
  20. #20  
    Originally posted by Nobackup
    Hold your horses ! 800 is just another name for a band it is infact 850Mhz...

    GSM 850 aka (GSM 800)

    GSM 850 is simply GSM technology operating in the Cellular (800 MHz / 850 MHz) frequency band. Both the technology and frequency band have been around for a long time, but only in 2002 were they combined.

    In the U.S. prior to 2002, GSM technology only operated in the PCS (1900 MHz) frequency band.

    GSM 850 addresses the needs of carriers with Cellular licenses switching from other technologies to GSM.

    Before the existence of GSM 850, the Cellular band was commonly referred to as the "800 MHz" band. "850 MHz" implies a different frequency band, but this is not the case. "800 MHz" and "850 MHz" refer to the exact same frequency band. 850 is technically a more accurate description of the frequency range, but 800 is the original, and more common term.
    I have serious doubts that they would actually have a difference in terms as you suggest. You got any proof?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions