1.    #1  
    There will be two models, the h4350 and h4150, with the only difference being the h4350 has an integrated miniature keyboard, typically called a thumboard.
    I wonder what that meant for the Treo 600 choice to have a thumboard? Is that vindication? is there market demand for the feature? where did HP get that?

And the wireless version will feature a flip-cover ala Treo 270?

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ru...Q_h4000_Series
  2. purpleX
    They are not phone, but dual wireless PDA. think of shrunken h5550 or h2210 with dual wireless.

and yes the thumbpad is definitely an evil think in my opinion. hah.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, they are wireless PDAs.

But, for a giant like HP, to venture back into thumboard is a resurrection of a feature that HP PDA once had. I finally recalled seeing a PDA with a keyboard on old HP PDAs. That line was dropped. And they also killed mini-laptop look-alike that has a keyboard too.

But, hey the thumboard it's back. HP's new motto is to give the user an incredible wonderful experience with its consumer products. Having a thumboard is probably one of them!

Now, that would be an interesting day for me to see. A PDA-phone with a thumboard the size of either an H1940 or smaller. That would probably give the Treo 600 a run for its money in the corporate world.

However, if the Treo 600 comes out as scheduled, it should be able to capture market before this 2004 model comes out.
    Originally posted by ManofTrueGod
    Yes, they are wireless PDAs.

But, for a giant like HP, to venture back into thumboard is a resurrection of a feature that HP PDA once had. I finally recalled seeing a PDA with a keyboard on old HP PDAs. That line was dropped. And they also killed mini-laptop look-alike that has a keyboard too.
    Isn't it weird how thumboards are making a comeback. There was a day when all pocket organizers had keyboards.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Isn't it weird how thumboards are making a comeback. There was a day when all pocket organizers had keyboards.
    I'm not surprised. The early products tried to capitalize on an input method that PCs had: keyboards. The problem was that they tried to do it the way PCs did it (landscape-style clamshell devices that were too wide). This made the device too large or oddly-shaped for people to constantly carry.

Fast-forward to the PalmPilot. The keyboard went away and Grafiti paved the way, but the form-factor meant that people could carry it easily. Plus it had all the PIM functions that people wanted to do quickly.

Grafiti is all well and good...and many still prefer it; however, as the devices become more sophisticated and can actually serve as communication devices, there is still one method that has yet to be topped when it comes to speed and accuracy in inputting a lot of data: the keyboard.

So is it any wonder that it's coming back (but in a portrait form-factor). It's a natural progression: Take the best of each and combine them.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I imagine these new iPAQ h4000 Series pda's to look more like the Hitachi G1000 than anything else. Remember, PPC's still require a 240x320 min screen resolution which means they will be long an cumbersome devices. Another option is that they will imploy mini-laptop designs similar to old HPC's and they Zaurus SL C7xx series etc. However, it's doubtful that M$ will support landscape mode...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by ManofTrueGod

I wonder what that meant for the Treo 600 choice to have a thumboard? Is that vindication? is there market demand for the feature? where did HP get that?

And the wireless version will feature a flip-cover ala Treo 270?

I am not at all surprised. In fact I have predicted this on this board. I expect more manufacturers to come out with thumboard models.

It shows that the thumboard is a valid alternative that has a real market. It doesn't say that the thumboard will win out; nothing will be an all-out winner. There is room in the market for it and a definite, legitimite user segment that will support it. I also expect this user segment to keep growing because of devices like the Treo 600 and its innovative form factor that will get more people to try it. Many of us know that once you try the thumboard, it's hard to go back (until something better comes along).
  8. purpleX
    I predict clamshell with mini keyboard will proliferate
    I predict clamshell smartphone will win out.

I predict treo 600 won't be a barn burner.

Originally posted by purpleX
    I predict clamshell with mini keyboard will proliferate
    Soon there won't be any to buy. How can it proliferate? I hate clamshell designs Especially landscaped ones.
  10. purpleX
    the current number of model is so low, even the addition of another model would make the idea of proliferatin come true. lol

score for me.