1.    #1  
    I'm not sure how many people in this forum use Gaim for instant messenging (as opposed to other clients like the official Aim client or Trillian). I figured I should post this here anyways just in the off chance a few of you do use it.

I wrote a small plugin for gaim which forwards any IMs you receive to your SprintPCS mobile phone. It works with my Treo 300 and should work with all other Sprint phones. You can't respond back (and I'm working on a way to do this) although for now it could be usefull to people.

Here is the link to the code. I have tested it with Gaim 0.64. It also requires libcurl. I haven't included a binary plugin although if there is enough demand from people I may do that (I'm assuming that most people who use gaim are comfortable with compiling software using the make program)
    --
    Philip Lowman <lowman@uiuc.edu> Senior, Computer Engineering
    2nd Trumpet, Marching Illini & Basketball Band
    President, College Libertarians
    Co-Chair, Linux Users Group (ACM@uiuc)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty nor security."
    -- Benjamin Franklin
    well if you didn't know SMS on the Treo sucks and is totally unreliable, even using TreoSMS from PDAapps.

I received two SMS messages today, and when I responded to one of them the guy called me and said "hey I sent that three days ago". This happens a lot.
    Originally posted by imageone
    well if you didn't know SMS on the Treo sucks and is totally unreliable, even using TreoSMS from PDAapps.

I received two SMS messages today, and when I responded to one of them the guy called me and said "hey I sent that three days ago". This happens a lot.
    Are you using a Treo 300 or a 270? I've never had an SMS message take more than a few seconds to a minute on my 270.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  4.    #4  
    In my testing I experienced no major problems with SMS delivery with my plugin. However, I am aware that the Sprint "SMS" network doesn't appear connected to any of the other SMS networks. I can't send SMS messages to T-Mobile phones, for example, or receive SMS messages from them.

This really isn't too much of a concern though. The SprintPCS web-SMS gateway that I use with my plugin appears to delivers SMS messages near instantaneously (within about 5 seconds of receiving an IM). I will continue to monitor the situation, however.
    --
    -- Benjamin Franklin
    Originally posted by philipdl71
    In my testing I experienced no major problems with SMS delivery with my plugin. However, I am aware that the Sprint "SMS" network doesn't appear connected to any of the other SMS networks. I can't send SMS messages to T-Mobile phones, for example, or receive SMS messages from them.

This really isn't too much of a concern though. The SprintPCS web-SMS gateway that I use with my plugin appears to delivers SMS messages near instantaneously (within about 5 seconds of receiving an IM). I will continue to monitor the situation, however.
    This isn't the first time I've heard people complain about Sprint's "SMS".

I hope they fix whatever is wrong with it because people tend to pin network problems on the device they are using (i.e. blaming the Treo). I've never had a problem with a Treo using SMS (but then, I'm on a GSM network, where SMS wasn't an afterthought).
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  6.    #6  
    This isn't the first time I've heard people complain about Sprint's "SMS".

I hope they fix whatever is wrong with it because people tend to pin network problems on the device they are using (i.e. blaming the Treo). I've never had a problem with a Treo using SMS (but then, I'm on a GSM network, where SMS wasn't an afterthought).
    Yes, Sprint's "Short Mail Service" or whatever the hell they call it, sucks. If I actually wanted to use SMS to talk to send messages to phones on networks other than SprintPCS, I would be rather upset with Sprint's implementation. I do hope they fix this and Handspring releases an update to the SMS application that comes with the Treo 300.

It is rather lame that people have to pay $20 for an application which should be bundled with the device.
    --
    -- Benjamin Franklin
    On my 270, I have a Handspring SMS application called, interestingly enough, "Handspring SMS v. 3.5H". It is pretty basic... no bells, no whistles (well... there _is_ an alert tone...), but it sends and receives SMS messages just dandy.

Did the 300 users get something fancier but less useful? Or does the service from Sprint just leave something to be desired? (Then don't blame the application.)

Originally posted by philipdl71

Yes, Sprint's "Short Mail Service" or whatever the hell they call it, sucks. If I actually wanted to use SMS to talk to send messages to phones on networks other than SprintPCS, I would be rather upset with Sprint's implementation. I do hope they fix this and Handspring releases an update to the SMS application that comes with the Treo 300.

It is rather lame that people have to pay $20 for an application which should be bundled with the device.
    The SMS problem with the Treo 300 is entirely Sprint's fault. Their Shortmail isn't true SMS. The only thing that is initially sent to a Sprint phone is a notice that you have a message. Then you have to log into Sprint's Vision service and check the message through Vision like it was a WAP site, and you can send messages from there too. With true SMS, the messages are sent directly from phone to phone. Verizon and the GSM carriers have real SMS. So it's not an issue for the Treo 270 running on T-Mobile, Cingular, or AT&T. It doesn't work on the Treo 300 and neither Sprint nor Handspring have directly addressed the problem. Samsung's i330 has the same problem as the Treo 300. PDAapps came out with Treo300SMS and i330SMS to work as a go between so the Treo 300 and the i330 appear to have SMS. When the phone gets a notification, Treo300SMS automatically goes into Sprint's server via PDAapps' proxy and retrieves the Shortmail so it appears to function more like real SMS. It's not Handspring's fault that Sprint set up the bass ackwards system. The Treo 600 manual says it supports Shortmail, but then again, so does the Treo 300 manual. Right now, Treo300SMS and probably Treo600SMS in the future is the best bet for Shortmail. It's sucks, but that's Sprint for ya. As far as SMS to communicate with non-Sprint users, Shortmail does send to other carriers' SMS and vice versa.
    Last edited by letsgoflyers81; 07/29/2003 at 04:00 AM.
    in a word.... yuck!

I'm happy I have a 270 and T-mo then. Sure sounds like Sprint's problem trying to say they have SMS when they don't.

Thanks for the explaination.
    Originally posted by jaytee
    in a word.... yuck!

I'm happy I have a 270 and T-mo then. Sure sounds like Sprint's problem trying to say they have SMS when they don't.

Thanks for the explaination.
    Sprint's careful about specifically saying SMS. They almost always just call it Shortmail, because they know it's not real SMS. It actually does have its advantages. You can check and send Shortmail from Sprint's website if you don't have your phone on you, or you don't have service. Also, Shormail messages are unlimited with Vision. You don't have to pay by the message or an extra fee for unlimited Shortmail. It can be annoying sometimes, but I understand why Sprint went with it instead of true SMS. The biggest problem has been for us Palm smartphone users. When I had a regular Sprint phone, it was never an issue for me, not until I got my Treo. I guess us Palm phone users make up a small enough segment of their customer base that they're not in a big hurry to fix it for us. At least they gave me a $20 credit since I had to buy a 3rd party app to use a service that should work anyway.