1.    #1  
    Got a great review from Laptop magazine, and it is for sale on sprintpcs.com

Anyone planning on buying this thing.

I'm really stuck right now, don't know if I want to be an early adopter again and pay a lot of money, or whether I want to wait for the prices to come down and perhaps see how people are liking it.

I wish it had a CF slot so I could add on a 802.11b card.
    Originally posted by BrianV
    Got a great review from Laptop magazine,

[snip]
    I think that sums it all up... The device is too big for my taste.
    i500 on sprintpcs website, telesales shipping units from their warehouse, but not in retail stores yet. At $599 it's a bit pricey.

Mark
    There are a couple people on here who bought it and have already reported on their experiences.

Geoffrey

Got a great review from Laptop magazine, and it is for sale on sprintpcs.com

Anyone planning on buying this thing.

I'm really stuck right now, don't know if I want to be an early adopter again and pay a lot of money, or whether I want to wait for the prices to come down and perhaps see how people are liking it.

I wish it had a CF slot so I could add on a 802.11b card.
    Hitachi G1000 is OUT!!
    Call the national guard... here it comes... look out! It's so huge! It's going to destroy the city! It's so big it's blocking out the sun!

Oh the humanity....
    So I cruised into my local CompUSA with my 16 yr old, showed him the G1000 (would that be for Gigantic 1000?) - asked him what he thought of it. He didn't even think it was a phone. He was like 'what IS that?'. I did take his picture with it. woo-heee.

Bottom line - it's a fundamentally different device than the Treo. Way too big, must be going after a different market. Who would seriously carry that? (not trying to be mean to those who've reported their experiences on this board, and I have to say that SURELY the overall form factor of the Treo600 will appeal to more people than that of the Gee1000).
    We'll see.
    How does the size of the g1000 compare to the EXISTING TREOs?
    Nevermind - just checked Sprint - 1.5" longer, about a half inch wider, quarter inch thicker - plus or minus.
    Possibly non-minor clarification - those dimensions are the "in the pocket" sizes.

The Hitachi does not change size when being used, the existing TREOs do.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    How does the size of the g1000 compare to the EXISTING TREOs?
    http://www.vijaygill.com/g1k/g1k.jpg

should give you a good idea

/v
    Yes, that pretty much shows the size difference in "carry it around" mode and hints at the size difference in "use it" mode.
    I played with one in the Sprint store this last week. I can't believe how huge this thing is. It's also pretty rugged/heavy. The bonus is...you could take a mugger out by banging him in the head with the thing.
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+
    Originally posted by atremorer
    I played with one in the Sprint store this last week. I can't believe how huge this thing is. It's also pretty rugged/heavy. The bonus is...you could take a mugger out by banging him in the head with the thing.
    Or if they do manage to take it, you can just wait until he gets a hernia while running away and then casually go pick it up, use it to call the police, and if you're feeling nice, the paramedics.
    Originally posted by atremorer
    you can wear it as a bullet proof vest.

Now that in convergence.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by vgill

http://www.vijaygill.com/g1k/g1k.jpg

should give you a good idea

/v
    All I can say - stupid. Can't believe this is designed by a Japnese company.
    > ...stupid...

All the current TREO models are larger than the Hitachi when in use and have smaller screens.

You SURE the Hitachi design is stupid?