Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    O.K. I was in my car this morning and starting thinking. I use my iPod in my car for playing MP3's with a cassette adapter. With all the spec info that's been released, does anyone know if the audio output on the 600 will be the standard size, that you could use a cassette adapter in the car? And if so will it have the power to push it to the speakers?

    thinking out loud.
  2. #2  
    IT uses a 2.5 mm jack, the same as a current Treo. However Handspring will be selling the adaptor nessacary to make it a standard 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  3.    #3  
    well the bad news to that is the jack is on the bottom. with a jack adapter that's going to make it a little awkward, plus it's just one more thing to keep up with, or should I say lose. but never fear I'll buy it anyway.
  4. #4  
    I haven't read anything about the Treo 600 having stereo output. If it works, I would think it'd come out mono. That along with the capacity of an SD card, I wouldn't think to use it to play MP3s in the car. But to have a 64mb card to listen to on the run wouldn't be bad with headphones if you don't mind mono. But I'd rather have stereo for the car.
  5. #5  
    I can't imagine the point of a handheld device that plays MP3s in mono. In fact I can't think of a single one on the market. I think it's pretty safe to assume that they upped the audio capabilities for a cost of a fraction of a cents to deal will stereo sound.
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    I can't imagine the point of a handheld device that plays MP3s in mono. In fact I can't think of a single one on the market. I think it's pretty safe to assume that they upped the audio capabilities for a cost of a fraction of a cents to deal will stereo sound.
    one of the new palms (the TT, TC, TW) plays only in mono.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    I can't imagine the point of a handheld device that plays MP3s in mono. In fact I can't think of a single one on the market. I think it's pretty safe to assume that they upped the audio capabilities for a cost of a fraction of a cents to deal will stereo sound.
    I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the 600 won't natively support mp3s, that you would need a 3rd party app to play them. With all the enhancements it'll be able to play mp3s, but i don't think it wasn't designed for it. If Handspring put in enough forethought to give it stereo sound, then why only a 2.5mm jack? The Hitachi 1000 may be stereo, I'm not sure. But it comes with windows media player. But then again I could be completely wrong and the 600 could be stereo afterall. If so, I won't be complaining.
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81


    I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the 600 won't natively support mp3s, that you would need a 3rd party app to play them. With all the enhancements it'll be able to play mp3s, but i don't think it wasn't designed for it. If Handspring put in enough forethought to give it stereo sound, then why only a 2.5mm jack? The Hitachi 1000 may be stereo, I'm not sure. But it comes with windows media player. But then again I could be completely wrong and the 600 could be stereo afterall. If so, I won't be complaining.
    The only reason Handspring didn't bundle a mp3 palyer is b/c they figured you could choose the one you want yourself. Besides Realplayer for PalmOS is a free download, so what's the big deal here anyway? Furthermore, Pocket tunes should soon be compatible with the Treo as well. Also, what do you mean it "won't natively support mp3's?" All PalmOS 5.x devices are capable of mp3 playback.

    Finally, I think it would be much more convenient to get a FM modulator like the Digiana to broadcast your mp3 to your car stereo instead of fiddling with cassete adapters etc. The sound fidelity may be slightly less, but you probably won't notice unless you're an audiophile anyway...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9. #9  
    Gfunk, the modulators really suck....I mean, I love music but certainly don't have the ear of an audiophile, but I can clearly hear the difference between my FM modulator (that now sits in a drawer) and the cassette adapter. The cassette adapter output is FAR superior.

    And to clarify for the rest, it does support stereo audio. You WILL have to install software to utilize your MP3 collection. Add a nice 128MB or larger card and go! I'm planning on using it for listening to music (with a belt clip case) when I'm walking and with the adaptor when driving.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by finadvsr
    And to clarify for the rest, it does support stereo audio. You WILL have to install software to utilize your MP3 collection. Add a nice 128MB or larger card and go! I'm planning on using it for listening to music (with a belt clip case) when I'm walking and with the adaptor when driving.
    this will be great. but I still have the new super slim 15GB iPod to fall back on. and as far as a FM mod goes, if I get one it will be the iTrip
  11. #11  
    Hmm...you're probably right, but have you tried the C. Crane Digital FM Transmitter? This is the best in show, imho. It can cover a whole block if you want to. Great to connect to the computer and broadcast net radio or whatever is on the HD at the time. Digital tuning PPL and a great sound make it worth every penny. Furthermore, it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes and the 2 AA batteries last quite a while...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  12. #12  
    The RealPlayer Mobile is available for the Palm OS 5. Does anyone know if it will be possible to use that for listening to streaming media?

    The connection speeds are good enough on the Sprint PCS network to download the media, but I don't know if the software permits it. Does anyone?
    Paul
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by pbrody
    The RealPlayer Mobile is available for the Palm OS 5. Does anyone know if it will be possible to use that for listening to streaming media?

    The connection speeds are good enough on the Sprint PCS network to download the media, but I don't know if the software permits it. Does anyone?
    Unfortunately PalmOS version of Real One player doesn't support streaming. However, mmplayer will supposedly support this in the future...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

Posting Permissions