1.    #1  
    Can anyone offer advice - - I hot synch with a treo 300 to an IBM ThinkPad A22m, with XP using the stock USB cable and my sych connection gets lost before completion every time and at different times during the sych. I've followed all the steps on handspring site (change name, reload software, hard reset, deleted inf files, removed all third party apps, etc.) and sprint techs are no help.
    After hard reset the sych worked one or two times and then feel back to its old bad ways. Sprint store even game me a new treo.

Am I destined to be synchless?
    Originally posted by Shawman
    Can anyone offer advice - - I hot synch with a treo 300 to an IBM ThinkPad A22m, with XP using the stock USB cable and my sych connection gets lost before completion every time and at different times during the sych. I've followed all the steps on handspring site (change name, reload software, hard reset, deleted inf files, removed all third party apps, etc.) and sprint techs are no help.
    After hard reset the sych worked one or two times and then feel back to its old bad ways. Sprint store even game me a new treo.

Am I destined to be synchless?
    Did you try buying another hotsync cable? Or a wireless hotsync for that matter. If either of those work, then you know it's been your cable all along.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the post. I should add that I got new cable and that the treo will sych on other computers!
    Originally posted by Shawman
    Thanks for the post. I should add that I got new cable and that the treo will sych on other computers!
    So it won't work with a new cable AND you get it to sync on other computers? You said you reloaded software. Did you mean on your Treo or your computer? If you haven't done it yet, you should try uninstalling all the sync software from your computer completely, deleting all directories, then reinstall it. If you can sync with no problem on a different computer, it sound like the problem might be with your computer, not your Treo. Also, like I suggested, try a wireless hotsync, no cables, no ports, no nothing so physical damage really isn't an issue.
    Shawman, did you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same problem right now. My wife got a new laptop from work and so I had to go through the process of reinstalling the sync software. I didn't expect any big surprises, but here we are. Her laptop, like yours, is a Thinkpad running Windows XP (though it's a Thinkpad T-series, I believe). This stinks.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  6.    #6  
    Never solved the problem. It must be something with the USB driver on the laptop. The cable and unit works on other computers and I erased and reloaded everything, hard reset, etc. I even tried loading palm software instead of disk that came with treo. I followed all the sych problem links on handsping site with no luck (they called for deliting certain driver files). I am able to synch with the IR port so have been using that. Slower but it works.
    I read somewhere about someone having this problem after their device came out of suspend mode. Based on your situation, I'm sure that isn't your problem, but I'm hoping it might be mine. I'm going to try again later after a fresh reboot and hope for the best.

Scott
    Hey guys, I'm having a similiar problem. I was going to post a thread about it, and here I see you beat me to it. The big difference for me is, my synch has been working great since Feb, and only this week it decided to hang on the last stage of the synch, the "backing up handheld databases" stage. I haven't gotten the chance to try it on another computer yet but I will this weekend when I ge home. The only thing I can think of that's new is, I recently installed BackupBuddy (and I guess that might turn out to be a good thing!). I synched successfully with BB installed a few times, then my probem started. Anyone have any problems with BB? My ideas right now are: Try synch on another comp. If that works, delete and reinstall hotsynch mgr.
    2. If that doesn't work, try to hard reset the treo and pray BB works as advertised! :-)

Anyone have any experience with something like this? Any more reccomendations?

Thanks... and good luck to everyone else.

Joe
    I had a similar problem in that I would be able to sync succesfully a few times then I would have to reboot to be able to sync again. My problem turned out to be the power management settings for the USB ports. Apparently the Treo hotsync wasn't able to "wake up" the USB ports and so wasn't able to communicate with the pc. I turned off the powermanagement options for the USB ports and haven't had a problem since.

I doubt that this is your problem (since it wouldn't cause a problem part way through a sync) but it might help someone else out there.

Michael Brock
    Unfortunately, the "suspend" problem I mentioned earlier didn't turn out to be the case. After a fresh reboot, I was still having the same problem. I ended up switching to IR sync and that works.

Michael, I'll take a look at the USB power management settings next time I get a chance to boot up my wife's computer. Hopefully that could be it.

Joe, the problem you're having sounds very different than the one we were originally talking about. We can't even get HotSync to do anything other than flash on the screen for half a second. You may want to start a new thread about your situation and/or do some more searches in case others have experienced that one in the past.

Scott
    We can't even get HotSync to do anything other than flash on the screen for half a second.

I had this exact problem with my Handera 330 about a year ago when I was running Windows 98. Handera technical support tried everything; but couldn't help me. I was always able to do a network hotsync when I was connected to the Internet via my Sprint cell phone. If you can do a Network Hotsync, then the problem lies with your computer and not the handheld.

I ended up selling my Handera for $125 and to this day they never had a problem syncing.

Handera Technical support was convinced it was a Windows registry problem and tried their best to fix it; but whatever they suggested didn't work.
    I sync three handhelds these days, a Palm M130, Treo 90 and a Treo 300 on Windows XP Professional. I use the latest Treo 90 version of Handspring's Palm Software.

I sync my Treo 90 and Palm M130 via my USB 2.0 Ports. I do a serial sync on my Treo 300. My Treo 300 kept on crashing my system when it got to the hotsync stage of "backing up programs" when I was syncing via USB. Syncing via Serial solved the problem.

Once in a blue moon (less than 5% of the time), XP Professional still does crash (blue screen) when I sync via USB. It use to happen more often though. I found that if I remember to set my Hotsync username to the specific unit I am syncing, my system won't crash. Moreover, I never have "local USB" and "local Serial" checked at the same time in the Hotsync settings.

The more handhelds one syncs on the same computer, the chances increase dramatically for hotsync problems.