Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    OK I just got a Treo 300 and I'm still trying to learn everything. I am using the Business Connect Personal Edition so that I can get my work email on the Treo when I am out of the office. I don't like the fact that my computer must be on and my email running for this to work. When a new email comes in, my Treo recieves an SMS saying I have new email and it automatically connects to Vision and downloads the new email. Is this what push email does? Is there a way to set it up to disconnect from Vision when it is finished d/l the new email? If not is this going to cause my battery to drain faster? Yes I already know the batteries are bad in these things, but is this going to make it worse?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    This is not true "push" but technically "triggered pull". DO a search on this board and you'll find all sorts of threads on this subject.

You don't want to disconnect your Vision after each message. It will kill your battery all that much faster if it has to also connect for each message.
    Originally posted by KKenna
    This is not true "push" but technically "triggered pull". DO a search on this board and you'll find all sorts of threads on this subject.

You don't want to disconnect your Vision after each message. It will kill your battery all that much faster if it has to also connect for each message.
    But on the other hand, a lot of people have been suffering from "turbo drain" while staying logged into vision even though they're not transferring any data.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    I guess you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. If I could just figure out a way to turn off the automatic downloand I would be fine. I'm still playing around with it and I havne't really had the time to use it a bunch to see how bad the battery drain is. I will not be using that update that came out until the drain problem is fixed. For the most part, I'm sure I will be fine as I have the charger that came with it, a free car charger that came with it as well and I'll buy another charger for the house. Hopefully I won't have too many issues and hopefully the treo 600 won't have the horrible battery like the Treo 300.
    >> If I could just figure out a way to turn off the automatic
    >> downloand I would be fine.

To do this, just go into the Biz Conn mail client, touch the "Mail" tab at the top, then Settings / Sync Prefs. On the Sync Prefs page, uncheck the box that says "Push messages to my device". This will stop the triggered-syncs from happening each time you have new messages arrive on your mail server. You can still set for Scheduled Syncs -- every 15 minutes, every 30 minutes, every 2 hours, etc.

I use BC all the time and love it. Especially when it allows me to leave the office at 3pm on Fridays and not worry about missing something!!
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Thanks, I tried that last night and it was still doing it. Tried it again right now and you are correct. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by hall316; 07/23/2003 at 07:37 PM.