Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, without being chastised for not finding the exact quote, I will just say one of the posts recently suggested a T600 might sell for around $1000 (after a conversion from euros was made, I think).

I want the folks at HS/Palm/whoever??? to know that I for one wouldnt pay that much, I dont think I would pay $800, or even $600. If the unit isnt $500 or less I think you will have to calculate annual sales to be far less than if the unit went for $600 with a $100 upgrade credit. Imagine the math. 10,000 units (my uneducated guess) at $1000= $10 million dollars with a 30% profit margin, or 3 million in your pocket, or, 1,000,000 units (again my uneducated guess) at $500= 500 million dollars at 10% profit margin, or 50 million in your pocket.

Lets not be too greedy and let us have our toy at an affordable price, ok Handspring? I promise to stick around and buy the T700, T800 ad T1000 in the future if you do.......

A desirous consumer, who can barely hold his water till the T600 is available.............
    Jeff
    Well, I'm sold pretty well on the 600, but $1,000 would be awfully steep. The only phones I'm aware of that cost that much are the next generation Motorloa Iridium satelite phones.
    At $1,000, Handspring would really miss the price point. Look at the competition:

ATT:
    Siemens SX 56 $450-$550
    Rim 6210: $400
    Tungsten W: $420
    Nokia 6800: $100-$200

Verizon:
    Samsung i700: $600
    Kyocera 7135: $450

Sprint:
    Samsung i330: $500
    Samsung i500: $500 Est
    Hitachi G1000: $650

Based upon these comperables, $1,000 (or even $900) would put them outside of the range that consumers would expect. The 600 is, in my view, a superior product, but many will say that it isn't worth 100% more than what's out there aleady.

We can only hope that the European pricing isn't necessarily indicative of what athe US pricing will be.
    Two things:
    It won't be a thousand dollars in the US. Handspring has said it will be between $400 and $500 depending on carriers' pricing.
    Using your logic (making up numbers) sure gives some nice results. Can I use that method on my taxes?
    ...if you take into acount the fact that these are Italian prices. High tech stuff always costs more over there (unless it is made by Olivetti!) It won't be as bad when it arrives in the US.
    In Italy, the phone would cost 1,715,942 Lira (if they are still using that currency!)
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Two things:
    It won't be a thousand dollars in the US. Handspring has said it will be between $400 and $500 depending on carriers' pricing.
    Using your logic (making up numbers) sure gives some nice results. Can I use that method on my taxes?

I agree. In Italy they have a VAT tax of 20% and most prices include the VAT. Handspring has stated in several articles and interviews that the US price withhbe inthe $400-$500 range.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
  7.    #7  
    Guessing is always fun, but I really meant to have HS see that a serious consumer wont pay this kind of money. I hope you are right and it falls in the 4-5 hundred dollar category (or less :-).

I will say this though, I was one of the fools that paid just close to 2 grand for a new Star Tac 10 years ago, and $500 for a car kit, and a couple hundred more for extra batteries, but I am hoping those days are gone. I did have the abosulte coolest phone in the world at the time. What ever happened to the Star Tac anyway..........

By the way, dont use that method of guessing on your tax return :-)

Jeff
    Jeff
    think of it as a mini laptop with a built in cell phone that you can carry around in your pocket and have unlimited access to the internet etc. etc.
    Now doesn't that make you feel better.

I say $599 (discount for current Treo owners $50 to $100 our end price $499 -$550)
    Well I guess it depends on if you consider pricing with or without service. The price on the treostore is for a phone without service. If you go to the Handspring site and try to but a 270 or 300 without service it's still listed as $699 (however you can get one at a T-Mobile store for $479 without service or extending a contract). So I'd say that the 600 without service will be at the least $699, most likely higher initially.

Sold with new service from a provider will likely be initially in the $500 range.
    Originally posted by Snowracer
    What ever happened to the Star Tac anyway..........
    Last I saw, it was offered at $99, then it just went away. I wanted it while it was $499, and finally snapped at $299 (I think). Retired it to buy a Kyocera 6035. Was running out of hands looking up a phone number on a (then new) Palm IIIe, using a stylus, and calling on the startac.

Was at a Verizon store a fortnight back comparing my treo 300 with a samsung i700. While the samsung brings in web pages better, side to side, the treo makes more sense. It goes with me whether I'm wearing shorts, at the pool, in the kitchen (at work), etc. The i700 would make more sense to someone who has more downtime than me, either stuck in airports, in between classes, or unemployed.

While I'm probably going to get a Garmin iQue because I like its portability over a Street Pilot III, I'll definitely be upgrading to the treo 600 and will pass on the wifi Tungsten C for now. I'm also watching the pocketpc camp to keep abreast of what I'm missing. The hp 1900 series is a nice size, but for just something to play around with and learn the OS I think a $199 dell axim would be about as cheap as one can go. It would only be a playtoy to see if I could get used to that platform, not something I'd carry with me. Only pocket devices I'm not considering are linux and symbian based as I wouldn't want to be the only one in my circle of friends who has one of those and thus couldn't share data.
    David
  11. purpleX
    Dell axim is a toy but Garmin is not? w00t?

Nobody even know what the compatibility level of that vaporware, while Dell is a proven device selling more than TT. uhmm, right. You wouldn't happen to run NASA safety department would you?
    Originally posted by purpleX
    Dell axim is a toy but Garmin is not? w00t?

Nobody even know what the compatibility level of that vaporware, while Dell is a proven device selling more than TT. uhmm, right. You wouldn't happen to run NASA safety department would you?
    Just used the $199 dell as an example. If a cheaper ppc exists, that's what I'd like to buy just to see how the other half lives. While the garmin is vapor (as is the treo600), for compatibility I'm going on published specs and sparse reviews.
    David
    I'd be a little cautious with the 899 price tag. treostore is an italian reseller and they might be bundling the treo 600 with stuff like QucikOffice and SnapperMail. Also it's better for them to give the maximum price and later decrease it than the other way around.

My uneducated guess is that you'd have to pay 899 max in Europe for a treo 600 without activation but including VAT, but still, Handspring might offer it for less. Nobody (not even Handspring) has announced an official price, yet. You only know for sure when they do...
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Originally posted by drw
    Just used the $199 dell as an example. If a cheaper ppc exists, that's what I'd like to buy just to see how the other half lives. While the garmin is vapor (as is the treo600), for compatibility I'm going on published specs and sparse reviews.

Saw at an online store Casio PPC for $149.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    The 600 will be comparable in price to the 270/300 for one major reason.

This is Handspring's future. After being absorbed by Palm, I would imagine that marketshare would be a more important goal than profit.
    www.bubblespeed.com
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    Well I guess it depends on if you consider pricing with or without service. The price on the treostore is for a phone without service. If you go to the Handspring site and try to but a 270 or 300 without service it's still listed as $699 (however you can get one at a T-Mobile store for $479 without service or extending a contract). So I'd say that the 600 without service will be at the least $699, most likely higher initially.

Sold with new service from a provider will likely be initially in the $500 range.
    Maybe Handspring's Greg Shirai was ovelr optomistic, but in the Cnet video he clearly stated $400-500 WITHOUT service.
    I saw that video also and he said about $500 after much prompting from the interviewer but he said nothing about whether this price is with or without service. Given that the 270 was at $399 until the past month WITH service, I think it's completely unrealistic to expect this at $400 without service. I just got a 270 from T-Mobile without service and it was $479!

Originally posted by dstrauss

Maybe Handspring's Greg Shirai was ovelr optomistic, but in the Cnet video he clearly stated $400-500 WITHOUT service.
    For those who didn't notice it, this is taken directly from the interview.

CNET: "Now, those carriers are a big part of the pricing picture. I know you can't really predict for them or speak for them, but roughly, if this didn't have activation, what part of the market are you aiming for?"

Shirai: "I think that we are expecting this to fall into the high end of the product range, so I think we're looking at the four to five hundred dollar range."

Notice the "if this didn't have activation" part of the question.
    I would love for this to be true, but I don't believe it. Right now a T-Mobile Treo 270 is $479 without activiation. A PocketPC Phone Edition is $529 without activation. A new Tungsten T2 is $399 (no phone). If we can get a Treo 600 for less than $500 without activation, I'll get two! But I'd be willing to bet it's not going to happen. It will likely be $400 - $500 with activation. But this is one area I'd love to be wrong!
    Oh I'm not saying that I don't agree with you that I think its pretty unlikely that it'll be that cheap without activation, but I was just pointing out that he did in fact say that on the video.

I'm definitely hoping that hes right though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast