1.    #1  
    Looking at Treo 600 pictures, its design (especially the antenna part) looks very similar to (up to) 4 year old Ericsson phones - check the old models:

T28s (1999)
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/uk/spg.j...9%26LM%3DSIM_V

T29 (2000)
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/uk/spg.j...0%26LM%3DSIM_V

The R380 (2000) also had a PDA...
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/uk/spg.j...6%26LM%3DSIM_V

I don't think you can easily say T600 antenna does not look a lot like the Ericsson antennas (only not so flat)

While I must say the T600 looks GREAT overall, I cannot get past that big, clumsy antenna.

The GSM phones use an embedded antenna instead of protruding one for about 2-3 years now and I don't understand, why Handspring used the old style. Is this a requirement for CDMA phones? All new GSMs have embedded antennas... Even compact GPS receivers (Garmin, Magellan) nowdays use embedded antennas (and it is definitely much harder to receive satellite signals than CDMA/GSM).

Perhaps they wanted to emphasise this is a smartphone, not to be mistaken to be just a PDA?

Pretty nasty things can happen to the antenna (and you!) wearing a phone in front trouser pocket while sitting down...

BTW: how does the HS T600 compare to latest smartphones like the Sony - Ericsson P800?
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/uk/spg.j...0%26LM%3DPSM_V

Fortex
    Treo180 user
    I suspect that most of the interior of that phone consists of the 1800 mAh battery. Someone earlier said that there wasn't enough space to put the antenna inside.

Maybe a future version will have an internal antenna.
    Personally, I like having an external antenna; gives me something to hang onto when I'm pullingit out of my pocket/case without fear of accidentally hitting some button on the side of the phone.
    hey... I like Ericsson phones ( I have a T39) and I don't think external antennas are that bad. They put more room inside of the phone.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    Ericsson antenna design is not bad. I see the antenna as a positive thing. With my current Treo, people are not clearly cued that it is a phone. There is no doubt with Treo 600.
    I was a T28s user for a long time before I jumped into the smartphones.
    Originally posted by ManofTrueGod
    I was a T28s user for a long time before I jumped into the smartphones.
    Thanks for letting us know!
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    With my current Treo, people are not clearly cued that it is a phone. There is no doubt with Treo 600.
    Not sure I get you... as long as you know it's a phone why would anyone care whether it was a phone or a pack of cards ?
    www.gsmworld.com
    Originally posted by nzmoko

Not sure I get you... as long as you know it's a phone why would anyone care whether it was a phone or a pack of cards ?
    I think he means that there is a stigma associated with carrying or sticking anything but a conventional cell phone up to your ear and talking into it. So a device that LOOKS like a cell phone (even if it has much greater capabilities) doesn't make you stand out as a dork/geek/nerd or draw as much attention.

After all...the "fashion police" are watching...
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 07/25/2003 at 07:09 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Unfortunately, the antenna also alerts your helpful flight attendant to the possibility that you are attempting to remote control the plane
    Look at this design:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I hope that we at least get superb reception with such a monsterous antenna

Do any of FCC-publised documents/tests give any indication as to the reception capabilites of the phone?
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quoting mpk65281:
    <<Unfortunately, the antenna also alerts your helpful flight attendant to the possibility that you are attempting to remote control the plane :-) >>

But what if I have to take over control in the event of an emergency? :-)
    [checks Launcher-X for an Airplane icon.]
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    Maybe some things about the Treo 600 may resemble other phones, but who cares??? Hyundai might decide to make a new sports car that looks like a Carrerra, but it ain't gonna run like a Porsche!

I'm sure there are going to be lots of copy cats that come out soon after the Treo 600 release too, but don't be fooled for one second! There's only one Jeff Hawkins, and only one Handspring (soon to be Palmspring?). I have faith that Hawkins and team have created something amazing that cannot be duplicated merely through aesthetics.

"But what do I know, I eat my own ****!"
    - Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog
    Originally posted by RayUSA
    I'm sure there are going to be lots of copy cats that come out soon after the Treo 600 release too, but don't be fooled for one second!
    Why do you say that? There hasn't been a single copy of the present design.
    Hi KRamsauer

Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Why do you say that? There hasn't been a single copy of the present design.
    First of all, I said "I'm sure there are going to be lots of copy cats that come out soon AFTER the Treo 600 release"

The Treo 600 hasn't been released yet... But just watch! I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that there will be floods of imitations and clones once the Treo 600 has been released successfully in the market.

It happens all the time no matter what industry... You got Coca-cola, they make Pepsi. You got fruit colored iMacs, they make fruit colored everything. You got Godzilla, they make Anna Nicole Smith. um... you get the picture?

SECONDLY, check out the new NEC e808Y already being offered by 3, the UK's first video-mobile network:

Mobilemag article (NEC e808Y)

MTech (3G NEC e808Y)

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/images/1830_large.jpg

Tell me... does it NOT look a little like the Treo 600??! It doesn't do everything the Treo 600 can do, nor is it cooler... but that was exactly my point to begin with. The specs are pretty impressive though.

Dimensions
    143 x 75 x 20mm ~ ( in comparison the Treo 600 is ~ 112 X 57.4 X 22mm) - thus the Treo 600 will be significantly smaller

Weight
    190 g

Display
    65,536 TFT colour
    132 x 162 pixels
    46 x 57mm

Camera
    Dual front/back camera
    2x digital zoom
    Memory
    64MB dynamic memory
    500 contacts

Battery
    up to 3 hr talktime
    up to 70 hr standby
    Features
    MMS
    Qwerty keyboard
    Dual mode 2G/3G
    2x built-in cameras
    384 kbps data capable
    Video calling
    Video recorder
    Video playback
    Voice dialling
    Voice recorder
    Java games
    Polyphonic ring tone

Cheers,
    RayUSA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originally posted by RayUSA
    Tell me... does it NOT look a little like the Treo 600??!
    Yikes. Sure does. The big thing I'm expecting from the new Treo isn't so much physical but rather in the user experience. The Treo is a wonderful combination of devices, but given a few years to tweak the interface, I think the next version will add some wonderful things. The hot keys, which will dial numbers, look up URLs, create emails, etc. with a single button press is such an example. The 5 way D pad could be another. I see a lot of potential to really bring the integration is user experience to the next level. Of course they could fall flat on their face, but I hope not.
  18.    #18  
    I see my post started quite an argument...
    Well, this is a subjective matter, but I still think the future will bring more "antenna-less" or hidden antenna devices...

Well, judging from FCC photos, at least both Batman & Robin have an external antenna connector.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I have used phones with both internal and external antennas and have found the reception better with external. In fact, I heard a Cingular salesperson explaining this to a customer who was unhappy with his Nokia phone. I also think a PDA with an antenna sticking out turns a few more curious heads.

Kirby