Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So let's assume you have a Treo 600 with a WiFi card, and you're using it at home or at a hotspot, as mentioned in the Sprint thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=35021

There was some side discussion about voice over IP (VoIP) apps on the Treo.

For those who aren't familiar, VoIP is the "ability to make telephone calls and send faxes over IP-based data networks with a suitable quality of service (QoS) and superior cost/benefit. Everyone is talking about VoIP and everyone wants a piece of the pie." (protocols.com). Basically, calls are transmitted over the Internet to save on long distance charges.

To me, the thought of using a voice of IP application from within a Treo 600 with a WiFi card sounds exciting and might not be so tedious. In fact, it sounds like a natural marriage.

The application could look alot like the Treo phone app - but use IP in the background. It could draw the contact information from the telephone contact list. Calls could be incorporated into the Treo call log or in a separate log included with the voice over IP app.

It would probably be most useful and cost-effective for overseas calls (or even for calling from overseas to home, considering international roaming rates on some carrers if you don't buy their local sim cards).

Not to degress, but does anyone know how do computer-based voice over IP devices/software works? Can you call standard phone numbers?

Wouldn't it be sleek to use a small, similar app from within the 600?

Granted, such an app couldn't be used anywhere - only where you might have access to unlimited WiFi data (home, office, hotspots). But what a concept...

Any comments?
    Were you aware of this?

PalmInfocenter
  3.    #3  
    Great link. I did a quick read of the article. According to www.vliusa.com:

------------------------
    Wireless VoIPís world standard on the go
    Pocket Gphone is software that allows voice communication through the internet by means of your PDA. Pocket Gphone solutions are based on VLís proprietary Gphone Engine, enabling high quality full duplex VoIP on resource constrained devices. Our newest Pocket Gphone offers 11 functions including text chat and file transmission while you are talking.
    You can enjoy Pocket Gphone wherever you are in the world!
    ------------------------

It looked like this particular software is based on the PocketPC OS. Sounds great, but what about connecting to those who don't use the same Pocket Gphone software? It would be fine for business to business, but for most Treo users (at least the way I see it), having the ability to break out of the IP realm on the far side of the call and connect to a standard phone on the receiving end is key...don't some PC-based VoIP programs/providers do that?
    Also, why limit use of VoIP with wifi? Cannot this also be done via 1xrtt? I mean I read on these boards people making VoIP calls on their laptops while using their Treo300's as modems. It seems the bandwidth is there (at minimum), so why couldn't you use Gphone on your Treo600 via vision? This seems like a much more preferable solution to me...

P.S. I realize that this only applies to cdma/1xrtt and not to gprs. Thus this may not be a pratical option for many users. Hopefully, the Teoo600 will be software upgradable to future Edge networks though...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 07/22/2003 at 02:31 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by tcc

It looked like this particular software is based on the PocketPC OS. Sounds great, but what about connecting to those who don't use the same Pocket Gphone software? It would be fine for business to business, but for most Treo users (at least the way I see it), having the ability to break out of the IP realm on the far side of the call and connect to a standard phone on the receiving end is key...don't some PC-based VoIP programs/providers do that?
    Did you miss the beta PalmOS version? Also, like I mentioned above, what's to stop you from using your Treo as a modem for laptop and then making VoIP calls on your laptop via 1xrtt (if you have Sprint? This has already been done using the Treo300 if I'm not mistaken.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Doesn't this require you to have your laptop handy when you want to make a phone call?
    hmmm - VoIP is a nice possiblity - but considering that I have 2000 mins to burn a month - all of those eligible for free long distance - as well as unlimited nites and weekends - and unlimited PCS-PCS - using VoIP seems pretty limited to calling overseas....
    www.bubblespeed.com
    If this were viable over Vision or a 3G network of some sort, wouldn't you think that the carriers would bump up the price of data or change the pricing structure completely to match use of voice minutes? It seems to me that using VOIP on a 3G data network is wasteful when voice capability is built into it.

On a wi-fi hotspot, that's a workable solution. There's also slight problems in getting a phone number on a VOIP network such as Vonage (who offers it for commercial home use) where they don't have phone numbers available in all areas. Maybe you make outgoing calls via your VOIP and receive calls via your minutes. Kind of kludgy and I'm sure you'd miss phone calls this way as you would be connected to data and not get buzzed in by the voice calls.
    Originally posted by Iceman6
    Doesn't this require you to have your laptop handy when you want to make a phone call?
    If you're referring to Gphone, its's a native PalmOS app...

Originally posted by bmacfarland
    If this were viable over Vision or a 3G network of some sort, wouldn't you think that the carriers would bump up the price of data or change the pricing structure completely to match use of voice minutes? It seems to me that using VOIP on a 3G data network is wasteful when voice capability is built into it.
    I think you're generally correct, except in cases for international calls. Using VoIP over vision for international dialing is far more economical than anything else. Also, its important to recall that Sprint will soon be offering PTT functionality which is basically a glorified VoIP call. From what I understand, Sprint's PTT features will be based on the same cdma network...thus I think this shows that vision is capable of this. In the end if PTT is available on the Treo600, then value of VoIP will be diminished, especially if most of the people you call also use Sprint. Couple this functionality with unlimited pcs to pcs, unlimited NW's and large amount of anyime minutes, and Sprint would have a very powerful product...

Originally posted by tcc
    Great link. I did a quick read of the article. According to www.vliusa.com:

------------------------
    Wireless VoIPís world standard on the go
    Pocket Gphone is software that allows voice communication through the internet by means of your PDA. Pocket Gphone solutions are based on VLís proprietary Gphone Engine, enabling high quality full duplex VoIP on resource constrained devices. Our newest Pocket Gphone offers 11 functions including text chat and file transmission while you are talking.
    You can enjoy Pocket Gphone wherever you are in the world!
    ------------------------

Yeah, I don't want my mom to have sit by her computer with a Gphone buddy software to receive my calls. I thought this was something like Vonage (http://www.vonage.com/) that would connect to real phones seemlessly. This seems little more than voice IM to me.
  11. purpleX
    It *is* essentially a voice IM. It won't replace phone anytime soon. But it's cheap, fun and actually work. At present state it will still take some times for full implementation of network bridge. It,s not enterprise level yet, tho' some outfits are already trying to fix this. But as long as both users stay on the net, it's whole lotta fun.

Imagine turning on your PDA in starbuck (or whatever future freebie wifi spot) and start blabing with your friend whole sunday afternoon with camera on, IM on, and a chess on the table. Your friend is in the other coast.
    I'm so glad someone posted about this since I've been wondering about using WiFi for international calling.

Here is a scenario: You have a treo 600 on SprintPCS. You travel to London for work/leisure. Since no SprintPCS in London, no phone and no Vision.

HOWEVER you do have a WiFi sdio card...SO...wouldn't it be awesome to be able to use it to call people back in the U.S. using voice over internet?

How likely is this scenario? Is this software available now or will it be by the time the Treo 600 is released?
    What I'd like to see is a way to get the Treo to connect into your landline service, to get unlimited local calling. Could probably do this with WiFi, by using a PC's sound card connected to POTS along with some fancy software.

I'd hate to have to use WiFi but the 1xrtt is too rickety and the propagation delays are not-so-compatible with realtime voice communications.

Hmm you know what would be cool. An SD-card which emulated a 300Mhz cordless handset. Well the antenna would probably suck, and I don't think anything which requires a card would be popular.

Why can't I just pay Sprint $20/mo and get unlimited local calling on my cell? What's their problem with that. Driving me nuts.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    It *is* essentially a voice IM. It won't replace phone anytime soon. But it's cheap, fun and actually work. At present state it will still take some times for full implementation of network bridge. It,s not enterprise level yet, tho' some outfits are already trying to fix this. But as long as both users stay on the net, it's whole lotta fun.

Imagine turning on your PDA in starbuck (or whatever future freebie wifi spot) and start blabing with your friend whole sunday afternoon with camera on, IM on, and a chess on the table. Your friend is in the other coast.
    Okay, I'll give you this is fun, but I'm a little greedy and want to be able to call people's phones and not depend on them having the gphone client. After all my friend might only have a yahoo, aol, or microsoft pda voice IM version. I'm sure they are coming and most people will be true to their current IM, so I'd need some sort of Voice PDA Trillian client. Same old story, new platform.

In the meantime, people with voice phones can't call me, while I'm in this, so I lost my call waiting. This isn't a big win unless, as is pointed out, it's for international calling. I've been outside the US once, and the mountaintop didn't have wi-fi. I was lucky to get dialup.
    Where can I find a WiFi hotspot, but no CDMA or GSM signal? In the remote Sahara outside Timbuktu, and in an apartment in downtown Brooklyn. Sprint et al are too "busy" to fix the signal problems there, so phone service is abysmal. But lots of home networks have WiFi, to avoid drilling holes in historic brownstone walls.

VLI's PalmOS gphone is a core around which to build custom apps. Vonage has a VoIP network connected seamlessly to the world's ringing phones, but they allow only Vonage software to connect, without a PalmOS version available. However, Free World Networks and iConnectHere, among others, offer open VoIP connections to SIP protocol software like gphone. And Asterisk is an open source VoIP gateway that provides programmable PBX services over VoIP internetworks.

So all the pieces are there to cobble together a Treo600 which uses either CDMA/GSM or WiFi to connect to any phone. Where's the package? Or do we have to wait for the newly reunified Palm/Handspring to hand it down to us from on high, reduced to best serve their own corporate interests?
    How about the Cell Socket which allows users to dock their cellphones in a cradle that re-routes incoming cellular calls so they ring on a landline telephone -- and allows you to make an outgoing cellular call from a standard landline extension phone? See the article Cell Socket for details. We just need to get them to make a cradle compatible with the Treo 600 or figure out how to modify the ones that are.
    I picture a Treo600 as the link betweek a CellSocket, which makes regular home phones into extensions to a connection over the Treo, and the broadband landline. With a Treo600 softphone, the calls can switch between GSM/CDMA, WiFi and the cradle. With a SIP VoIP service, and Asterisk software running on a home computer, all the sophistication of office PBXes and teleconferencing are available wherever you carry the Treo600, whatever the best signal available, without giving up any current telephone equipment or features. Where's my FreedomPhone package?
    Yeah, but the cell socket would only work from home, a wi-fi IP phone would work from any wi-fi area. I don't see how this fits the topic at all.
    well, i just want this VoIP software to call long distance or cell phone or even national/local...

...this Gphone seems to require you call people running the same software only...

how is that you can call landlines numbers ?
    ...i mean regular telephones don't run software of any kind so...

where am i wrong ?
    ...either i can call landlines or the Gphone software doesn't allow that so...

[from http://vliusa.com/prof_personal/palmgphone.php]:

Palm OS device to: Palm OS device, IP phones, IP PBXs, the public telephone network, and other SIP compatible devices.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast