1.    #1  
    Downloaded omniremote but can't get it to open without an error message:"Another Program is blocking the serial port. Check other IR programs on the Pilot. Check the prefs program, make sure serial/IR is set to cradle."

I fumbled around in the prefs, I couldn't find anything that would fix this.

Anybody have this problem and know how to get around it? I checked the boards and one other person asked about it but there was no answer. Tried the net, nothing there either.

Thanks
    ...even if you do figure out what it is conflicting with, you still won't be happy with the results.

When I installed and tested it, it had a range of around 3' - 4'. Unless you sit on top of your TV, the range isn't good enough. Handspring never did invest in the highest quality IR units.
  3.    #3  
    I don't expect good results. I was just trying to get it to work, for what it's worth.
    did you find out what the problem was with the remote? I kept getting the same error message.
  5.    #5  
    Nope, never got it to work.
    hmm.. where'd you get the idea to download that?
    Better range achieved with this (on palm anyway - not tried on 180g).

http://www.novii.tv/products/noviir/r-descr/index.html
    I tested and purchased NOVII.

It works, I am using a Treo 180.

Vendor says the range of Treo is somewhat limited IR output but I don't have that issue since I am only about 4-5 feet from my TV , DVD, VCR, etc.

Warning though, please make sure you sync first before you change configuration of this software. I had the bad experience of not synching and was doing a custom programming on the NOVII and testing it against IR devices. It crashed my Treo and lost at least a day of stuff.

After you configure everything, it works and it did not crash anymore.

If you have IR for synching or using your Treo for Laptop internet connection, please make sure they are not using the IR of your Treo if you intend to use it as your Remote control device.

Good Luck
    Originally posted by Druce MacFarlane
    ...even if you do figure out what it is conflicting with, you still won't be happy with the results.

When I installed and tested it, it had a range of around 3' - 4'. Unless you sit on top of your TV, the range isn't good enough. Handspring never did invest in the highest quality IR units.
    I had the same problem... it programs fine... i even programed it to my cd player in my car .. just for ****s and giggles.. but the range is like a foot.