1.    #1  
    The FCC site at the time of THIS post notes a couple filings made today but any attempt at retrieving them results in the error:

== "There are no attachments for public review associated with
    == this application"

Go to:

-- http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/...ericSearch.cfm

and type in "o8f" into the FCC ID field (that's oh-eight-ef).

They may be available soon.

Funny how this happened JUST before a disasterous earnings call tomorrow, no?

Giggle.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor

Giggle.
    By disasterous, do you mean that it will be incredibly worse than the grim prediction that was given by Handspring last time? As far as I know, if it is close to what was predicted (which was bad), then it's not considered bad news by Wall St.
  3.    #3  
    Visit Yahoo's HAND and PALM message baords for financial discussion - my apologies for noting the...ahem...interesting timing of the FCC info release.
    The FCC site at the time of THIS post notes a couple filings made today but any attempt at retrieving them results in the error:

== "There are no attachments for public review associated with
    == this application"

Go to:

-- http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/...ericSearch.cfm

and type in "o8f" into the FCC ID field (that's oh-eight-ef).

They may be available soon.

Giggle.
    Note that these are not only applications. The approvals were granted. Both were for a CDMA device. Click on "View Grant" to see a PDF copy of the granted license(s). Both show application and approval day as 7/21, which clearly indicates that this has been held by the FCC per HS's request.
    Visit Yahoo's HAND and PALM message baords for financial discussion - my apologies for noting the...ahem...interesting timing of the FCC info release.
    No apologies needed, I asked a simple question. I listented to the previous conference call, and the management said they'll have a worse quarter than the very bad one they had just had.
  6. mus
    There are also grants for the GSM device.
    Sorry I am late to the party, but here's a link to the grant letter for the Treo 600 CDMA version:

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/...1&fcc_id=O8FBW

Now, let's just hope it's not like the Samsung i500 so many of us have lusted for - since it was approved in August 2002 and still not here.
    Originally posted by dstrauss
    Sorry I am late to the party, but here's a link to the grant letter for the Treo 600 CDMA version:

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/...1&fcc_id=O8FBW

Now, let's just hope it's not like the Samsung i500 so many of us have lusted for - since it was approved in August 2002 and still not here.

Whoa! Your link states the following at the bottom of the page:
    "The device may be marketed after July 11, 2005, "

If this is true, we got a LONG time to wait......
    Giggle.
    Russ Smith, is that you?
  10. mus
    Originally posted by wcarlson40

here's the CDMA device's grant.

and here's the GSM device's grant.

That date has nothing to do with the Treo specificially, that notice is at the bottom of lots of the grants and deals with some internal FCC provisions. The rest of the sentence reads "and is not affected by the 15.37(j) or 18.123 transition provisions". If you want to read all about it go to: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-02-157A1.doc

Simply put. This has nothing to do with the release date.
    Last edited by mpk65281; 07/22/2003 at 12:37 PM.

that could just mean that the device will still be around in 2005 not that it is coming out in 2005.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  13. purpleX
    These guys have 14M revenue and lost 13M, after last quarter 30M and 90M lost. No wonder they give up, their business model doesn't work.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5714
    Well, I've worked in Silocon Valley since 1985. I'm a CPA and I've seen 'um come and seen 'em go.
    Its quite common for even successful companies to incur large losses before becoming profitable.
    And, keep in mind, most high technology companies are experiencing the equivalent of a "nuclear winter" right now...the recession in high tech is much worse than in the rest of the economy...Handspring is certainly suffering from this macro economic effect.
    Many companies with viable business models have gone Chapter 11 due to the economy.
    Because of the Palmsource merger, we'll never know if Handspring would have made it on its own. However, all that matters is that Palmsource wanted the 600 bad enough to have "bought the company".
  15. purpleX
    Arm chair musing: What if the last big bubble is a economic climate abberation instead of regular boom and bust?

what happen if the center of gravity for consumer electronic moves along with the economical cycle to the far east as a result, and silicon valley is transformed into entirely different industry overnite that is hostile to consumer electronic. (eg. it is cheaper to do handheld in the far east)

What if the whole idea of trying to be a handheld powerhouse in silicon valley in the circa late 90's is a bit like trying to be the biggest woolly mammoth in the very last winter of the great ice age in the middle of gobi dessert. Totally wrong time and wrong place.

Than the scenarios becomes a failure to calculate the trajectory of economical climate. (ie. it's a friggin' wrong business model)
    A great deal of manufacturing has already moved out of Silicon Valley. Many companies keep R&D and Headquarters operations in the Bay Area but have their manufacturing operations elsewhere in the US or outside the US.
    I don't think Handspring even manufactures its own devices. They use a the contract manufacturing model that more and more semiconductor companies use.
    China is becoming the manufacturer for the world, and this trend will probably continue until some other country becomes cheaper.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Purplex - I have a different explanation. I think they bet the farm doing the R&D for the Treo 600 (that's where the 90 Mil went IMO), and they won. I.e., they got bought, on terms that were favorable to them.
    If you go to the search, there are now some exhibits up, although no users manual as of yet.