Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    I'm a current Sprint customer considering a treo 300. The Sprint store rep told me I need to upgrade to a Vision plan, but the minutes in Vision plans don't even come close to my current non-Vision PCS plan. I haven't been able to get a good explanation of the difference in service with Vision so I am referring to the (less biased) board.

Does Vision simply add email, pictures and instant messaging? Or is it a "next generation" network? Can I use a 3rd party email app without it? I currently have web access and text messaging - will these features continue to function?

Thanks all. Great info here.
    First of all, you don't need Vision to use a Treo 300. You just won't be able to take advantage of the Vision features. In layman's terms, Vision is Sprint's high speed data part of their network. It allows you to view webpages (full HTML with Treo), play games, download ringers, have unlimited messaging. If you don't sign up for the Vision plan, they charge $0.02 per KB. Or you can pay $15 for unlimited usage. Either way, you'll have access to all of Vision's features. If you keep the wireless web then you can still check out WAP webpages, e-mail, and messaging, but that's it. Vision provides a lot more and depending on your area, can be much faster. I think they give you Vision for 2 months for free. I'd go for that and if you don't use it enough to warrant $15/mo, just cancel it when the time is up. Whatever you choose, you DO NOT need Vision to use the Treo.
    I apologize if I'm wrong, but as I understand it a Vision account is required for the Treo because of how Vision devices provision vs. non-Vision devices.

Geoffrey
    Well I could be wrong too, but I'm almost positive you can use a 3G device with 2G service with no problem. All the use of the voice and one-way text messages will work fine. You just can't take advantage of anything else that the 1xRTT data portion of it has to offer.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Thanks "letsgo"

The CSR echoed your comments. I ordered the Treo for $200 through Handspring's F&F offer expiring Thursday. I'll test the current $5 web service, then try the Vision service for 60 days.
    Originally posted by bbkat
    Thanks "letsgo"

The CSR echoed your comments. I ordered the Treo for $200 through Handspring's F&F offer expiring Thursday. I'll test the current $5 web service, then try the Vision service for 60 days.
    No problem. That sounds like your best bet. Like I said, without a "Vision Pack" for $15, they'll charge you $0.02 per kb. That can add up very quickly, especially with graphics on an HTML webpage that you could view through Blazer. If you spend any substantial time on Vision services, it might pay to buy a Vision Pack. Just check your usage and how much you end up downloading over the next couple months. If you don't use that much, then don't worry about getting a Vision Pack.