1.    #1  
    For those of you who haven't read it in another thread: treostore.com is offering a chance to preorder the treo 600 for EUR 899. But what caught my attention is that they also offer a treo 270 WO (meaning Wireless Office) which includes a treo 270 (duh!) as well as QuickOffice and SnapperMail. Now an article about the presentation of the treo 600 in Milan (?) posted on italian based E-Motion's web site also talks about QuickOffice.

Does it mean the treo 600 will come with QuickOffice? And will it also include SnapperMail?

Sure, the article is talking about email but, unfortunately, it doesn't name the program that was used. Maybe Handspring hasn't sealed an agreement with SnapperMail yet and they don't want people to get too excited about it.

Who knows?

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Isn't that part of an optional package, bundled by that particular vendor?

What concerned me in all of this is the price! Converted to US$ that's quite a nice number of Washingtons!
  3.    #3  
    yes, you're right, it's a bundle made by the reseller E-Motion. And the SnapperMail web site states in a press release that they have indeed signed an egreement with E-Motion in Italy.

Still, rumor has it that there is going to be a third party email client integrated into the new treo but nobody could say which it's going to be. So if alot of people really like SnapperMail and if the've already signed a deal with a distributor and if this bundle is even offered through Handspring's official italian web site (which it is) wouldn't it make sense if Handspring officially bundled the new treo 600 with SnapperMail?

I don't know about QucikOffice and if it's any good. But I think that Palm adds Office to Go to their products. And I believe it would make sense for Handspring to also add an Office product to make it more business like.

Finally, there is the article about the presentation in Milan (link see above) which talks about QuickOffice as well. It could be that it's mentioned only because E-Motion sells QucikOffice but doesn't it sound strange to you if somebody was to promote a new product and tell you about a piece of software that in the end is not included in the package?

Those are all specualtions at best, of course, but kinda exciting ones

andreas

899.00 EUR = 1,019.51 USD

1 EUR = 1.13405 USD
    1 USD = 0.881798 EUR

Holy crap Batman! Is this thing overpriced or what!.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I think this is one phone that I won't be buying in Europe.
  6.    #6  
    I think this is one phone that I might be buying in the US.

Afterall, isn't it a 'true world phone'?

andreas

Originally posted by RWEckhoff
    899.00 EUR = 1,019.51 USD

1 EUR = 1.13405 USD
    1 USD = 0.881798 EUR

Holy crap Batman! Is this thing overpriced or what!.
    You have your numbers backwards -- you have to pay 1.134 Euros to get $1. 1 Euro = $.881798, approximately. Figuring Euros is like figuring Canadian Dollars ...

Therefore, a phone costing 899 Euros would equal about $790. Since my T300 was $499 when new (without service discounts) and to add SnapperMail (about $55) and Quick Office (about $70) you would have a total price of about $625 -- so not too awful bad, if you figure a reseller markup needs to be added ...
    Originally posted by tjd414

You have your numbers backwards -- you have to pay 1.134 Euros to get $1. 1 Euro = $.881798, approximately. Figuring Euros is like figuring Canadian Dollars ...

Therefore, a phone costing 899 Euros would equal about $790. Since my T300 was $499 when new (without service discounts) and to add SnapperMail (about $55) and Quick Office (about $70) you would have a total price of about $625 -- so not too awful bad, if you figure a reseller markup needs to be added ...
    No, he had his numbers right; you got them backwards.

However, as others have pointed out, this price includes 20% VAT and is not subsidized by a carrier.

So, without VAT, the Treo 600 is 899 / 1.2 = 749 Euros. Converting back to USD using today's rate (1.14715) from www.xe.com gives us about 859 USD. I still think this is quite in line with the LIST prices of unsubsidized Treos in the past. I believe the Treo 270 started out at $700 if you bought it with no service.
    The 270 in Italy was priced around 800 euros with no activation. Same in most of the other European countries.

One of Handspring's most important problems in Europe has always been the lack of partnerships with the operators. Now that they've signed a deal with Orange this will hopefully change and I'm expecting the subsidized price tag to be between 500 and 600 euros in the first months after release. Maybe even down to 400 euros closer to the holidays season, in which the operators traditionally sign up at least 20% of their new customers.

Also, Orange is present in many European countries but has sold its stake in Wind Italy two years ago. I know Orange and the power of their marketing department very well and I'm almost convinced that other European HS distributors aren't even allowed to sell 600s without Orange activation.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Mol
    Also, Orange is present in many European countries but has sold its stake in Wind Italy two years ago. I know Orange and the power of their marketing department very well and I'm almost convinced that other European HS distributors aren't even allowed to sell 600s without Orange activation.
    wow, don't scare me! I'm in Germany and there is no Orange here. But you propably meant 'other Europeans countries where Orange is operating in', right?

I highly doubt that Orange could yould keep Handspring from selling treo 600s in Germany. It's more likely that T-Mobile will sign an exclusive contract with Handspring, tough.

andreas
    who won't be able to afford a treo 600, anyways.

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry to have scared you.

If I remember correctly, Germany was one of the very few countries where you could buy a subsidized 270s, so your assumption about T-Mobile may be right.