1.    #1  
    Previous threads:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=34792

and

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=34816

Having used the Nokia 6800 for a couple of weeks now, I find myself ultimately disappointed. Still my quest for the perfect device goes on. Bottom line is the only thing that makes me persist with the device is the form factor.

As I suspected early on, the software is woefully inadequate, even for my relatively specific and simple needs. The software is simply the bog standard Nokia series 40. Essentially, fold-out keyboard aside, software speaking this device is no different to any other relatively modern Nokia from the last 12 months or so.

The calendar is rudimentary and clunky. On a bog-standard mobile phone, it's an excellent additional feature. On a device that's pitched at the business market, and at PDA and smartphone users, it's simplistic at best.

I simply don't understand why Nokia chose the series 40 hardware/software reference for this device. You could have easily crammed a series 60 into the physical parameters of this device. The bigger screen could have been accomodated by moving the joystick and phone UI buttons onto the panel where the keypad is currently located. Plus, from a software perspective, the series 60 is already much much closer to a real PDA or smartphone and few changes would have been required here.

So the quest for the perfect device goes on. I think one of those new Blackberries might be in order next. But if Nokia bring out a series 60 version of the 6800, I'll be first in line.
    You win some...You lose some. That's why they call it a gamble. You pay to play.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  3.    #3  
    In fairness, it DOES do what I NEED from a mobile device. But it does no more. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to Treo owners unless they, like me, had a very specific purpose in mind.

And, as you said, I paid to play -- but I can live with paying 20...
    Originally posted by Loccy
    In fairness, it DOES do what I NEED from a mobile device. But it does no more. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to Treo owners unless they, like me, had a very specific purpose in mind.

And, as you said, I paid to play -- but I can live with paying 20...
    At least you didn't have to pay dearly.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    According to the WSJ's Walter Mossberg, who was also very underwhelmed by the 6800's software, RIM's software will be available on/for the 6800 later this year.
    Nokia has licensed it from RIM.

So, if one has some patience, the great hardware of the 6800 will soon be matched by some great software.

If the 600 is offered at $900, more people will look at the 6800.
    Originally posted by Loccy
    Previous threads:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=34792

and

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=34816

Having used the Nokia 6800 for a couple of weeks now, I find myself ultimately disappointed. Still my quest for the perfect device goes on. Bottom line is the only thing that makes me persist with the device is the form factor.

As I suspected early on, the software is woefully inadequate, even for my relatively specific and simple needs. The software is simply the bog standard Nokia series 40. Essentially, fold-out keyboard aside, software speaking this device is no different to any other relatively modern Nokia from the last 12 months or so.

The calendar is rudimentary and clunky. On a bog-standard mobile phone, it's an excellent additional feature. On a device that's pitched at the business market, and at PDA and smartphone users, it's simplistic at best.

I simply don't understand why Nokia chose the series 40 hardware/software reference for this device. You could have easily crammed a series 60 into the physical parameters of this device. The bigger screen could have been accomodated by moving the joystick and phone UI buttons onto the panel where the keypad is currently located. Plus, from a software perspective, the series 60 is already much much closer to a real PDA or smartphone and few changes would have been required here.

So the quest for the perfect device goes on. I think one of those new Blackberries might be in order next. But if Nokia bring out a series 60 version of the 6800, I'll be first in line.
    will the 6600 be any better? it is " a smartphone"
    Ben
  7.    #7  
    The 6600 runs the Nokia series 60 software, which is a fully-fledged Symbian based smartphone reference. So yes, it is better in terms of software -- but doesn't have that keyboard. That's why I didn't understand Nokia's rationale when they opted for the series 40 software for the 6800. The series 60 would have suited the whole thing so much better.

And Stickman, as I understand it the only thing Nokia has licenced from RIM is the keyboard operation software, ie. if you type wont it automatically expands to won't, etc. I don't think you're going to see a fully-fledged Blackberry OS on the Nokia -- the screen's too small, for one.