1.    #1  
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    According to the specs I've seen the answer is NO. Of course, everything is still somewhat up in the air. I don't think EDGE is going to catch on soon because most of the carriers are still getting it ready.

Joe

P.S. I'm talking about the US.
    I don't think EDGE is going to catch on soon because most of the carriers are still getting it ready
    Did you read the article? It is already here. All it requires is a software upgrade. By the end of the year it should be widespread.

-rob
    The answer apparantly is definately no.
    The FCC Approval for Treo 600 article at

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/242-1.htm

says that Handspring is using the Broadcom 2121GSM chipset which does not support the new EDGE technology.

-chiru
    Originally posted by chiru
    The FCC Approval for Treo 600 article at

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/242-1.htm

says that Handspring is using the Broadcom 2121GSM chipset which does not support the new EDGE technology.

-chiru
    Ugh! That really blows. This means the Treo 600 is basically a dead end as far future Edge networks etc. This is suprising b/c European carriers will be rolling these out much sooner than those NA and I would suspect consumers will eventually expect upgradeability. Hopefullly, Handspring will come out with a dual mode GSM/UMTS Treo 600 later on...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    EDGE is just another intermediary step. Europe now has rolled out their true 3g W-CDMA network on top of GSM, and already AT&T wireless is planning on starting soon.

It is not that big of a deal not to have EDGE becuse i am not sure how many carriers are going to be supporting it.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Does the use of Silicon Labs GSM chip/module rather than Broadcom's imply anything w.r.t. delayed release of a GSM TREO 600?
    I do not belive so. It is my opinion that we misinterpreted the pictures of the Treo 600 GSM...

of course we could be wrong.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff