1.    #1  
    Ok... now that the Treo 600 is on the way & we will be a step closer to hitting the prefect Smartphone combo... let's talk software that will make the device a smash hit.

I will shortly have this wonderful WIRELESS device... will there be a way to synch WIRELESSLY? By that I mean I won't have to put the smartphone in a cradle to synch Calendar, address book, & To Do's. I want the ability to synch all this information WIRELESSLY via the Sprint network

This would be a dream come true if Sprint & Handspring could pull this off.
    Roger
    I do this now via fusionOne - they are/were a third party wireless sync service. There's a Palm app and a PC app. I sync my Treo wirelessly to their servers, and then I run the PC app which syncs also to those same servers.
    They started as a free service, saw that wasn't going to allow them to survive, then started charging. They then went after carriers as the model - for example, fusionOne is what SprintPCS uses to do sync from Outlook over to the Voice Command voice dialing service.
    I don't think they offer service any longer to individual consumers - you can check 'em out at www.fusionone.com.

I have to say that I've used the service for about 4 yrs now, through a number of PC changes and job shifts, and I've always retained all my data with me since I'm using their servers as the prime repository of info (you can sync mail and files as well - kind of like MyDocsOnline, VVault, etc). Very nice.
    You don't need 3rd party software. I have a Treo 300 and can sync wirelessly through the built in Hotsync manager. It's much slower than USB, but I can sync up with my computer to back up or even install a program from anywhere as long as I'm in service. It works for the Treo 300, I would assume the 270 also.
    Here are the instructions on how to set it up...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...reless+hotsync
  5.    #5  
    Thank letsgoflyers81 for the instructions. I will try this out later today.
    Roger
    No problem. I forgot to mention one thing though. When setting up on the Treo when you enter your computer name, don't enter "!!" like it says. If you do, hotsync manager will say it's not the default computer and ask you to change it, every time. If you're out and not in front of your computer, you can't change it and it won't work. Instead, enter your computer's name, which you can find under System Properties. That should be all you need.
  7.    #7  
    letsgoflyers81 it looks like the directions call for an "external" ip address. Can this be done on a corporate network where you only have internal ips (192.xxx.etc.)?
    Roger
    Originally posted by RLewis
    letsgoflyers81 it looks like the directions call for an "external" ip address. Can this be done on a corporate network where you only have internal ips (192.xxx.etc.)?
    Your computer only sees your internal IP of 192.xxx.xxx.xxx but reality there is an external IP somewhere for your company's network and then a router of some sort assigns your computer the internal IP. You need to enter the external IP into the Treo. However, to get it to work in this case, you have to be able to assign the ports that the hotsync will use to your computer. For me, I have a cable modem with 3 computers behind a router. I enter my external IP into the treo, then whatever ports it needs, I set my router to forward those connections to my computer. On a corporate network, you might now have access to set port forwarding. If you can't, I'm not sure what else you could do.
  9.    #9  
    What ports do you set to forward in your cable modem for it to work?
    Roger
    Originally posted by RLewis
    What ports do you set to forward in your cable modem for it to work?
    In his instructions, mitchema said to forward 14237 and 14238. I didn't go that route, I just had all ports for my router sent to me unless I specifically assign a port not to. So assuming those ports are correct and you have access to your corporate network for port assigning, and nothing else on that network uses those ports, you should get it to work.
    Depending on your reason for doing this there are alternatives.

If your reason is to make your data more secure (aka you don't loose it), as mine is, One solution is to use an OS5 Backup Utility to backup your data to SD Card. This is a great solution because it will be much faster than wireless backup, and there are already several utilitys that alow automatic backup on a user defined schedule.

nrosser
    Does FusionOne require a speciel client software on the palm...i.e. if you have to do a hard reset will it still work ?
    Originally posted by ComicMasta
    Depending on your reason for doing this there are alternatives.

If your reason is to make your data more secure (aka you don't loose it), as mine is, One solution is to use an OS5 Backup Utility to backup your data to SD Card. This is a great solution because it will be much faster than wireless backup, and there are already several utilitys that alow automatic backup on a user defined schedule.

nrosser
    Does FusionOne require a speciel client software on the palm...i.e. if you have to do a hard reset will it still work ?
    That would work just fine for the Treo 600, but the current ones don't have an SD slot, so that's not an option. I know the thread was originally about the 600, but then we were trying to implement it for the 300 or 270.