Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    No doubt I will be buying the Treo 600, as it seems to be a step closer to digital nirvana and will free up some space in my pockets which often carry a phone, pda, ipod and digital camera but there are a few things that are definitely missing. Tell me what you think.

Bring back the flip cover, --
    it's one of my favorite features of the treo line and has been a requirement of every cell phone I've bought for the past 5 years

WIFI --
    imagine surfing the net at your local hotspot and not paying sprint to do it, not to mention wireless syncing with your computer and being able to use it at home to order movie tickets again without paying sprint. I don't want to tie up the SD slot with a card because I need it for a memory card for MP3's

higher res screen --
    this issues been beaten to death, but here's a new twist as a medical student I can see the ability to quickly look at X-rays rather than go in to the hospital at 4am. Palms dominate the medical community and it's a big community, all radiology is going digital and a higher res could put handhelds in the link along with laptops and desktops.

higher res camera and flash --
    lowest on my list of necessities but if I'm designing the dream machine, why not.

That's only a few things and should be pretty easy to add and I was just thinking the flip cover could hold the WIFI gear so no need to change the size.

What else would you add?
    Someone make sure the design team at Treo see this.
    Last edited by salazar; 07/16/2003 at 07:57 PM.
    The Treo 600 would be perfect with an integrated flip cover and replaceable battery. The cover just needs to be like the close cover of the Treo 90. Removable for those who don't like them, but critical for those of us carrying this pupppy in our pants pocket.

Battery - it's great they built in the biggest they could (1600ma) but I'd trade that in a heartbeat for two 1000ma batteries. There is no substitute for a spare battery when you're in a 6:00 pm meeting and the battery heaves. Even more so when it's also your PIM and email umbilical. There's nos subsitute for that spare in those circumstances.
    Salazar

I disagree about the need for a cover. If you have a cover built in it is just another thing that can break off and get in the way, plus it makes the device thicker and if gives you three surfaces you need to keep clean. Also recall that the current Treo’s have a clear plastic cover so you can see through it but it makes it more difficult to see the main screen.

Tossing the screen was a wise decision and is a clear-cut case of less being more. This is pure conjecture on my behalf but if I was designing the next generation after the Treo 600 I would work on making it a tiny bit thinner, a little lighter and replace the battery with a 2300 mAh battery, and a 2megapixel rotating camera that can do video.

The challenge with a clamshell design is that you don’t have at a glance access to your info. Ideally on a handheld you want instant access to you info.

The Treo 600 screen and camera lens was designed and tested rigorously for durability. I don’t know if you read my article on the front of treocentral.com but I discussed all these issues in detail.

On the Wi-fi issue, I believe I read that someone is working on bringing a SD IO card with Wi-fi built in to market.

With regard to high res that is the obvious next step.

I agree with you that to a large extent handheld devices like the Treo will supplant laptops and desktops in the same way the automobile supplanted a horse and buggy and trains. A high res screen would be excellent for viewing X-ray’s remotely.

As you said the Treo 600 is a step closer to digital Nirvana…exciting stuff!!!

Dstrauss:

I personally don’t know how you could run out of battery power at the end of the day on a phone that will give you 5-6 hours of talk time? But I believe I read somewhere that there would be add on sled batteries for the Treo 600.
    Last edited by JakeE; 07/17/2003 at 04:43 PM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    While we are wishing on things for the next generation phone after a phone that isn't even released yet. My wife wants the camera to have a zoom.
    kauihou

Does your wife also want a kitchen sink built in to the Treo 600?

Why would she want a zoom lens?

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

Originally posted by JakeE
    kauihou

Does your wife also want a kitchen sink built in to the Treo 600?

Why would she want a zoom lens?

Jake
    Okay, that was uncalled for. This thread is about what people want in a new device. She wants a zoom lens for the camera. It doesn't matter why. Most conventional cameras have one.

Don't be confrontational.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by dstrauss
    ...snip...Battery - it's great they built in the biggest they could (1600ma) but I'd trade that in a heartbeat for two 1000ma batteries. ...snip...
    Actually, they included an 1800mAh battery, not 1600. That's the biggest I've seen in any PDA or phone. (I'm sure there may be some out there with larger.)

I'm torn on whether or not making it removable would be any advantage to me or not. I, personally, don't see myself away from a power source for more than a few hours at a time, so having the battery built-in isn't an issue for me. At worse case, I'd use the extra battery attachment option (for a few more hours) or I'd use my car's 12-volt charger. Either way, power is available.

Your requirements are obviously different.

What would I like to see added (as long as I'm dreaming)?

- Current Treo 600 form factor maintained.
    - Palm OS 6.
    - 400MHz processor.
    - 128MB RAM (all usable by the user).
    - High-res (320x320) TFT screen.
    - Bluetooth (integrated).
    - WiFi (integrated).
    - Palm's Universal Connector.
    - 1 MPixel camera (on integrated rotator).
    - Out-of-box functionality for ALL the touted features
    (Buy it, subscribe to services, turn it on and it works.
    No need to install anything extra)--Great OOBE.
    - Tri-band-GSM/GPRS/dual-band-CDMA/1xRTT/800 AMPS capability in ONE device.
    (so I'm free to use whomever I wish as a carrier).
    - Fuel cell battery--Would last a month on one charge/refueling. (Hey, it's MY dream, remember?)

...and while we're dreaming...

- Complete interoperability between carriers (world-wide).
    - Reasonably-priced, Unlimited usage plans
    (for EVERYTHING...data AND voice).
    - World peace. (I thought I'd throw that in, just in case).
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 07/17/2003 at 02:30 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

Okay, that was uncalled for. This thread is about what people want in a new device. She wants a zoom lens for the camera. It doesn't matter why. Most conventional cameras have one.

Don't be confrontational.
    My Dear inspector Gadget:

I was trying to make you laugh! You know: HaHa, HoHo, HeHe!!!

It is called a sense of humor. I was joking when I said does she also want a kitchen sink? Get it? Does she also want a kitchen sink on her treo?????? as in The Treo 600 has "everthing except the kitchen sink."

I was not being confrontational; I was seriously asking why she would want a zoom lens on the Treo? The Treo 600 takes excellent VGA snapshots without a flash. I am a professional level photographer and I think zoom lenses are way overrated. On my Digital Elph I never even use the zoom.

If I offended anyone in any way with my words I apologize and can assure you that was not my intention.

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 07/17/2003 at 12:02 PM.

My Dear inspector Gadget:

I was trying to make you laugh! You know: HaHa, HoHo, HeHe!!!

It is called a sense of humor. I was joking when I said does she also want a kitchen sink? Get it? Does she also want a kitchen sink on her treo??????

I was not being confrontational; I was seriously asking why she would want a zoom lens on the Treo? The Treo 600 takes excellent VGA snapshots without a flash. I am a professional level photographer and I think zoom lenses are way overrated. On my Digital Elph I never even use the zoom.

If I offended anyone in any way with my words I apologize and can assure you that was not my intention.

Jake
    You were joking? It looked like sarcasm to me. I think that's why this board has emoticons. I didn't see any in your message, so I took it that you were serious.

Regardless, it's her desire to have a zoom lens. She may or may not be a professional photographer. Does that mean that she can't ask for what she wants?

This is supposed to be fun, not confrontational. Relax.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Gadget:

I am so used to being serious in the forum that I rarely use emotion cons. Remember? I am the serious guy who writes long articles and posts where I try to make people laugh?

I was not asking why she wanted to have a zoom lens because I wanted to project my autobiography onto her and tell her she was wrong. I was genuinely curious. When I wrote the post I asked because I thought I might be missing something and thought maybe since we are talking about improving the Treo maybe I could learn a new use.

In my not so humble opinion a zoom lens does not make much sense on the Treo 700 or 900 or whatever we are talking about? As a matter of fact I could not tell if kauihou was joking about the zoom? When he said “While we are wishing on things for the next generation phone after a phone that isn't even released yet. My wife wants the camera to have a zoom.” It almost sounded like Rodney Dangerfield, George Burns, or Seinfeld.

Speaking of Seinfeld and funny, did you ever hear his shtick about skydiving. Jerry say’s “What is the deal with skydivers wearing helmets? Do they think the helmet is actually going to do anything?” I’ll bet I made you laugh!

I am relaxed! It was simple communication breakdown. In the future I will use emotion cons.

Sorry Gadget!
    Jake

...snip...Speaking of Seinfeld and funny, did you ever hear his shtick about skydiving. Jerry say’s “What is the deal with skydivers wearing helmets? Do they think the helmet is actually going to do anything?” I’ll bet I made you laugh!

I am relaxed! It was simple communication breakdown. In the future I will use emotion cons.

Sorry Gadget!
    Jake
    Hmmm, now I see why you thought the "kitchen sink" remark was funny...You actually think Seinfeld is funny.

...I don't.

But I get it (communication breakdown solved). You didn't mean to be sarcastic. No problem.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Actually Gadget,

I never found Seinfeld that funny myself, but I could not stop laughing when I heard his shtick about skydivers not really needing helmets.

Actually now that I think about it I my Avatar is my emotionicon. The picture was from my second grade yearbook. I think it kinda says everthing about me. I am still the exact same way. Except I have seen Star Wars since the photo was taken.

Jake

[i]higher res screen --
    this issues been beaten to death, but here's a new twist as a medical student I can see the ability to quickly look at X-rays rather than go in to the hospital at 4am. Palms dominate the medical community and it's a big community, all radiology is going digital and a higher res could put handhelds in the link along with laptops and desktops.[/B]
    Wow, that's what I want, my Dr. looking at my xrays on a 2"x2" screen at 4am! No offense doc, but at least use the laptop.
    Carl

What else would you add?
    Someone make sure the design team at Treo see this.
    Oh don't worry, I'm sure they are well aware of what we need. It's EVERY advanced feature that has ever been put into a PDA or a phone. Just look at the sum of all things requested by all users. That is why such threads, while enjoyable to read, really don't add anything beyond saying something like "we want everything under the sun and it better be in a smaller package". Designers already know that that's what their customers want.
    Originally posted by silverado

Oh don't worry, I'm sure they are well aware of what we need. It's EVERY advanced feature that has ever been put into a PDA or a phone. Just look at the sum of all things requested by all users. That is why such threads, while enjoyable to read, really don't add anything beyond saying something like "we want everything under the sun and it better be in a smaller package". Designers already know that that's what their customers want.
    Of course...and that doesn't make it any less enjoyable to share the ideas or to dream. If the designers already know it, fine. If they can't do anything about it right now, fine.

We'll continue to express our desires and ideas. Whether this thread, or others like it, add value to the community is a matter of opinion.

Yes, we want it all. Who doesn't? That's what dreams are made of. Is it not?

In the absence of any real news…

Speculate...Contemplate...and if all else fails...

Pontificate!

We're really good at that.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 07/17/2003 at 04:47 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Originally posted by Insp_Gadget

Of course...and that doesn't make it any less enjoyable to share the ideas or to dream.

Ah dream! I missed that about this thread. OK, here is my dream for the altimate device.

Tiny wireless (BT?) ear phone that can sit in or near your ear all day without bothering you and a microphone that's implanted in your tooth. You will never need to hold up a phone to your head again. Or maybe the mic/headphone combo will be one implant and you'd hear the phone like god is talking to you

Your actual phone/PDA looks something like one of the very advanced Clie's, but 25-30% smaller, with Treo-like keaybard, a Clie ultra high resolution resolution screen. WiFi, BT, GSM, GPRS, allows voice and data simultaneously over GSM, VoIP, seemless switching between all the connection media, eye gaze/blink recognition to get rid of the need for a stylus. Thought command should round up the nice set of features and can get rid of the need for a keyboard
    Wow, and I thought I was asking a lot in MY dream.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

you guys are a bunch of nerds! the treo 600 is still not out for another 3 months and you are worrying about the treo 700?!!!! oh lord in heaven. you guys must all be old, fat and married (unhappily, prolly always eyeballin other hot young, sleek new chickies). jeez... why don't we start a new treo 700, 800, 900, 2500 forum while we're at it. let's all live in the distant future as to miss the here and now. oh not to go off topic, but I got a new baby on the way but I cannot wait till I have my second child. I think the second one will have to be a boy, brown eyes, good in math, muscular features, independetly wealthy by age 25...
    Originally posted by 003oret
    you guys are a bunch of nerds! the treo 600 is still not out for another 3 months and you are worrying about the treo 700?!!!! oh lord in heaven. you guys must all be old, fat and married (unhappily, prolly always eyeballin other hot young, sleek new chickies). jeez... why don't we start a new treo 700, 800, 900, 2500 forum while we're at it. let's all live in the distant future as to miss the here and now. oh not to go off topic, but I got a new baby on the way but I cannot wait till I have my second child. I think the second one will have to be a boy, brown eyes, good in math, muscular features, independetly wealthy by age 25...
    So what were you doing reading this? You must be all of the above but in addition an ultra conservative who can't express himself about his dreams and fantasies so you go and bash people who feel free to express theirs
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by 003oret
    And your reason to be nasty and rude is????? What a waste of energy.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast