Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hi folks,

I'm excited by the pics of the Treo 600, I do love my Treo 270 but there are a few shortcomings that appear to be resolved in this soon to be released 600 model.

But the one that I have not heard mentioned is whether there will be a voice recording function on the Treo 600?
    You know, driving or busy or whatever, have a couple of ideas and quickly pick it up, press record button and voila..

At work I've just rolled out iPAQs for a Sales Force and that feature was well received. Some of the reps even go a step further and add voice annotations to photos, then email them too!

Cheers,
    James.
    (Sydney)
    Originally posted by jturnbul
    Hi folks,

I'm excited by the pics of the Treo 600, I do love my Treo 270 but there are a few shortcomings that appear to be resolved in this soon to be released 600 model.

But the one that I have not heard mentioned is whether there will be a voice recording function on the Treo 600?
    You know, driving or busy or whatever, have a couple of ideas and quickly pick it up, press record button and voila..

At work I've just rolled out iPAQs for a Sales Force and that feature was well received. Some of the reps even go a step further and add voice annotations to photos, then email them too!

Cheers,
    James.
    (Sydney)
    The Treo 600 will have voice recording capabilities. I'm just not sure if it will be able to do it out of the box or if you need a 3rd party application. While that's nice, I'm more excited about the possibility of a voice dialing program.
    Here's my wishlist for the next treo. I've tried to stay within reason-- things that are actually implementable. Here they are, in no particular order:

1. Higher resolution camera. 2 megapixel would make it easily usable for taking pictures you'd actually hang on to.

2. Edge the battery life up, and make it easier to swap the battery. (I'm willing to remove a screw or two, but i don't want to take the whole thing apart. Maybe a fuel cell?

3. High-res screen. 320x320 min, 320x480 if we can think of a good way to squeeze a taller screen in there. Perhaps a keyboard that covers the bottom 1/4 of the screen, and slides down for a full view?

4. (This is the easiest one) Put 2 or 4 buttons above the screen. This allows the user to hold the unit sideways, like an NES controller, and play games MUCH more comfortably. A d-pad more usable for gaming at the bottom would be nice, too.

5. User access to GPS. If all Sprint's phones are going to have GPS for e911, let us use it for navigation. It doesn't need to come with any software more complicated than a route/track/waypoint basic system like a cheap mapless GPS-- we can always buy better software and maps, but the access to the hardware has to be there.

6. Bluetooth or WiFi. Easier connection sharing with a laptop.

7. (this is a network feature) Network backup of data. The T-Mobile sidekick really sold this for me-- your data is always backed up on a server via the wireless network. Device crash? Reset, and 5 minutes later all your data is back. Device broke? Replace it, and 5 minutes later, your data is back. Even if you're 1200 miles from your PC. This beats the living crap out of having to find a machine to sync back from when you're out somewhere. I noticed in Orange's T600 demo that they are including something similar-- here's hoping we see it in the states.
    Regarding #7, an SD backup will be pretty good, though obviously not perfect.
    I think a non-removable flip-cover is not good for me.
    But it is ok to make a Treo phone capable to clip on a flip-cover.
    Please don't force me to use a Treo together with a flip-cover.
    I just want one w/o the damn camera so I can take it into secure areas and Federal buildings w/o being harassed by the guards.

Dizzy
    Originally posted by raygundan
    Here's my wishlist for the next treo. I've tried to stay within reason-- things that are actually implementable. Here they are, in no particular order:

1. Higher resolution camera. 2 megapixel would make it easily usable for taking pictures you'd actually hang on to.

2. Edge the battery life up, and make it easier to swap the battery. (I'm willing to remove a screw or two, but i don't want to take the whole thing apart. Maybe a fuel cell?

3. High-res screen. 320x320 min, 320x480 if we can think of a good way to squeeze a taller screen in there. Perhaps a keyboard that covers the bottom 1/4 of the screen, and slides down for a full view?

4. (This is the easiest one) Put 2 or 4 buttons above the screen. This allows the user to hold the unit sideways, like an NES controller, and play games MUCH more comfortably. A d-pad more usable for gaming at the bottom would be nice, too.

5. User access to GPS. If all Sprint's phones are going to have GPS for e911, let us use it for navigation. It doesn't need to come with any software more complicated than a route/track/waypoint basic system like a cheap mapless GPS-- we can always buy better software and maps, but the access to the hardware has to be there.

6. Bluetooth or WiFi. Easier connection sharing with a laptop.

7. (this is a network feature) Network backup of data. The T-Mobile sidekick really sold this for me-- your data is always backed up on a server via the wireless network. Device crash? Reset, and 5 minutes later all your data is back. Device broke? Replace it, and 5 minutes later, your data is back. Even if you're 1200 miles from your PC. This beats the living crap out of having to find a machine to sync back from when you're out somewhere. I noticed in Orange's T600 demo that they are including something similar-- here's hoping we see it in the states.
    Well, they were definately going for #2 this time around... they gave up hires screen inorder to bump up battery life by 35%. In fact, I'd say they were obcessed with battery life...

That keyboard idea I like... you were thinking tungsten, right?

As to the gameboy idea... well, it's "useless" for now, because PalmOS doesn't do landscape, as evident in the new Sony U-50... but in time, I'm sure it will... all in due time...

5. is a strange one to me... because it should've been already available... hardware limitations? I know for one that parents can track the location of a child's cell phone on a webpage... but that could've been done without GPS... just identification of the cell phone tower which received the call would have given an approximate location to the phone.

7. They have that already, I believe... Some company's working on it. Go do a google search...

by the way... resolution isn't everything in a camera... I'd rather keep the resolution low, and put in a flash, and have more accurate coloring, less distortion, etc. etc. I'd live with 640x480 in a phone...
    Battery life is always good. Can't be said enough.

I'm torn by the flip question, though. I carry my 180 in my pocket most of the time and so having the keys protected is important. However, like to wander around with my headset on doing things around the house or office while talking on the phone. It's harder to do this with the flip open at the angle that it currently opens to. Can't stick it in your pocket. Can't really put in any hip case while open. If you close the lid, it hangs up (I know, I could change this if I felt like it). So I usually end up just sitting somewhere while on the phone with it sitting next to me or holding it. I can't wait for the non-flip, just hope it comes with a good keylock program built into it...
    One thing I'd like to see is another LED right next to the green/red LED on top. Maybe a blue/white combo that could notify you of missed calls, voicemail, email, etc. I hate turning on my Treo everytime to check for a missed call.
    Originally posted by raygundan

7. (this is a network feature) Network backup of data.
    Great points.
    1. Hell yea.. i just wanna save to SD

2. I think the battery life is JUST fine with 5 hours talk time. I dont think anyone has owned a phone that will do this, in this form factor. Clip on will get me to buy the T600, but yes, user-replaceable is key! I dont have power issues really, I have 2 spare batteries for my phone, and Rarely use them. MP3/PDA use may change this, but not significantly.

4. Those keys, of course, will be disabled during calls (your face would launch stuff!)

5. I'm scared enuf that THEY know, much rather have a SAT version that only gives ME the details.

7. Again, sorry, paranoia. I want control/access to my data. I'll backup to SD, which I always have one in my wallet. Restore my VPN software, and sync to my desktop at home
    I thought many of y'all's suggestions were very good. I especially liked the idea of a replaceable battery.
    but I didn't see one thing that I personally would prefer in the next gen Treo:
    how' bout transmission technology that takes the Treo out of the Top Ten highest radiation cellphones?
    Sure, no definitive link has been established with tumors, etc etc but wouldn't you rather *not* have to make the choice between getting the awesome all-in-one phone/pda and not even taking the chance of getting brain cancer?
    I'd have bought a 650 already except my old 270 makes my ear warm if I talk on it more than 15 minutes at a time, and that really kinda freaks me out. And the 270 only has an SAR of 0.82 compared to the treo 650's SAR of 1.51 !!! (see for yourself: phone radiation chart

I know this is a very old thread but I think it deserves resucitation, especially since the Treo 700 (or whatever it will be) can't be all that far away.....
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123