Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    ANYWAY...

The flip... YUCK.

I do not want a Kyocera 7135, Samsung 500's simply because of the flip. You cannot see the screen. I like seeing a big picture of the person that's calling on my 300 (with treo picture caller ID program - not built in unfortunately).

I also like to see the alarm when it goes off, or a reminder or a chat msg, etc..etc....

The flip, as it is, is thin and you have to be careful with it. Many have broken theirs. They would have to make the flip like that again to see the screen. If they made it thick, it would increase the thickness of the phone.

Also when the flip is open, it would make the phone twice as big.
    njchris

I thought I remember Picture caller ID coming as a standard feature on the Treo 600?

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Originally posted by JakeE
    njchris

I thought I remember Picture caller ID coming as a standard feature on the Treo 600?

Jake
    Me too, but I meant that for the 300.
    Originally posted by njchris

The flip... YUCK.

Wait you have a chance to hold one SGH-i500.

The flip is good. Have been using i330 for 6 months, I still don't feel quite comfortable holding it without worrying about the greasy screen all the time. A 5-oz flip form factor like SGH-i500 is an ideal design for me.
    Originally posted by 003oret
    why don't we start a new treo 700, 800, 900, 2500 forum while we're at it.
    T700 or 800 may be. But you have gone too far with T900 and 2500.

Each future model would represent an ideal or appropriate design for each progressing network generation. T600 is actually a good design for the existing 2.5G-3G network. With the average thru-put is still around 56 kbps, it is simply not prudent to provide a high res camera with images or some video streaming functions you can't even transport effectively. You can ask for all kinds of fancy features you want, but the today's infrastructure and the battery technology may not be able to support them. This situation won't change until CDMA2000 Release C (1xEV-DV) and Release D are implemented sometime in 2005. T700 and 800 should be designed for that generation (3.5G) network with the integrated voice and bi-directional high speed data transport. 4G (100 mbps) won't be available until 2010 at the earliest. T900 or higher will probably be designed to take advantage of that generation of networking technology with video conferencing and mobile gaming, etc. Talk about the future models and have some understanding about the progress of network infrastructure technologies can actually help adding perspectives to your view. You will find yourself quite realistic while you are dreaming.
    mcyang

The reason I want a higher resolution camera with video is NOT to be able to send over the phone network but for downloading.

Lets say the Treo has a 1.3 or 2.0 megapixel censor, after it takes the picture it would still prompt me to save and or send it, but if I chose send it would default to send a VGA image (640x480) and keep a higher res image on the CF card. Same with video. Let's say it did video @ 320x320, I could just watch it on the screen or download it later.

I did not know all the stuff you mentioned about 3.5 a 4G. It was fascinating!!! Thanks for sharing.

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Originally posted by silverado

Ah dream! I missed that about this thread. OK, here is my dream for the altimate device.

Tiny wireless (BT?) ear phone that can sit in or near your ear all day without bothering you and a microphone that's implanted in your tooth. You will never need to hold up a phone to your head again. Or maybe the mic/headphone combo will be one implant and you'd hear the phone like god is talking to you

Your actual phone/PDA looks something like one of the very advanced Clie's, but 25-30% smaller, with Treo-like keaybard, a Clie ultra high resolution resolution screen. WiFi, BT, GSM, GPRS, allows voice and data simultaneously over GSM, VoIP, seemless switching between all the connection media, eye gaze/blink recognition to get rid of the need for a stylus. Thought command should round up the nice set of features and can get rid of the need for a keyboard
    Why the screen at all? Just go for the sunglasses form factor, have the display on the lense, the earpiece on the... err, earpiece, and have it operate on sub-vocal commands.

It will of course need a gyroscope so your VR games work properly, and obviously be based upon satelite phone tech, so you can get "JAWS" streaming in while fishing in the South Pacific.
    Originally posted by JakeE
    mcyang

The reason I want a higher resolution camera with video is NOT to be able to send over the phone network but for downloading.

Lets say the Treo has a 1.3 or 2.0 megapixel censor, after it takes the picture it would still prompt me to save and or send it, but if I chose send it would default to send a VGA image (640x480) and keep a higher res image on the CF card. Same with video. Let's say it did video @ 320x320, I could just watch it on the screen or download it later.

I did not know all the stuff you mentioned about 3.5 a 4G. It was fascinating!!! Thanks for sharing.

Jake
    I understand what you are saying. But the main reason to bundle a camera with smartphone is to provide a 'shoot and send at anytime and anywhere' function. People will try to send the hi-res images anyhow and get frustrated with slow performance and battery drain. They will blame phone designers. It is like to provide all kinds of trucking functions on a 150-hp engine pickup. People will be mad at the pickup manufacturer and designer. When the CDMA2000 Release C & D (1xEV-DV) is coming out in two years, things will be different. The 3.5G network will support a 450 kbps - 1.7 mbps average through-put speed. Be then, you will see 2 meg or higher res camera equiped phones showing up all over. Palm OS6 will be a must have OS platform for that environment with full compliance with ARM and true multi-tasking/multi-threading multimedia capability. T700 will definitely be an OS6 phone supporting 400-mhz Xscale with 64-128 mb memory, because the 3.5G high-speed network will support most multimedia functions effectively. But the video conferencing and moble network gaming are still not quite feasible and will have to wait for even more speedier network. It looks like that T600 will have a good two-year life span until T700.
    Originally posted by mcyang

I understand what you are saying. But the main reason to bundle a camera with smartphone is to provide a 'shoot and send at anytime and anywhere' function. People will try to send the hi-res images anyhow and get frustrated with slow performance and battery drain. They will blame phone designers. It is like to provide all kinds of trucking functions on a 150-hp engine pickup. People will be mad at the pickup manufacturer and designer. When the CDMA2000 Release C & D (1xEV-DV) is coming out in two years, things will be different. The 3.5G network will support a 450 kbps - 1.7 mbps average through-put speed. Be then, you will see 2 meg or higher res camera equiped phones showing up all over. Palm OS6 will be a must have OS platform for that environment with full compliance with ARM and true multi-tasking/multi-threading multimedia capability. T700 will definitely be an OS6 phone supporting 400-mhz Xscale with 64-128 mb memory, because the 3.5G high-speed network will support most multimedia functions effectively. But the video conferencing and moble network gaming are still not quite feasible and will have to wait for even more speedier network. It looks like that T600 will have a good two-year life span until T700.
    My reason for having a camera in a smartphone would be to not have to carry a separate device. I don't care about taking pictures and sending them straight from the phone. I can't see a picture I take so urgent that I couldn't bring it back to my computer and send it via that connection. On the other hand, when I happen to find something worth taking a picutre, I'd rather have it at a picture quality worth taking. In the end, the phone carriers are the one pushing the phones so the network is driving the hardware. It makes no sense to limit the hardware based on the network.
    There is one feature I'd like that I haven't seen mentioned. I'd like Voice Recording. Not just eight 10 second clips but the ability to actually record both sides of a conversation or part of a conference call.

What does anyone think of the headset port on the bottom? I think I'd prefer it on the side or top.
    Originally posted by TAllenKCC

What does anyone think of the headset port on the bottom? I think I'd prefer it on the side or top.
    I dont' like it. I would like it more if the antenna were internal because then you could place the thing top down in your pocket and have the earpiece going out of the pocket. As it is, blech.
    INTERGRATED BLUETOOTH!!!!!
    Ben
    BUILT-IN BATTERY
    Regarding the built-in battery issue, if the Treo 600 WERE just a normal phone, 5-6 hours talk time would be more than enough for me, but if I'm gonna be listening to music, surfing the web, playing games, taking photos, etc. on this amazing piece of "digital nirvana," I think a spare battery option would definitely be a good idea! Call it piece of mind, but I like having a backup.

THAT GREAT BIG BATTERY HOME IN THE SKY
    Furthermore, this Treo 600 is going to be so advanced that I'm sure it will last me for some time... probably, even after the battery starts to lose some of it's original vigor. Batteries, like people, get old and die. How would you like it if you bought a brand new Porsche but the battery was built-in and could not be changed without the services of an expensive technician?

I would definitely sacrifice making the phone a little bigger just to know that I could go out, buy a new battery and switch it out on the fly, if needed.

ZOOM LENS
    I don't see the need for a zoom lens really, OR a kitchen sink for that matter. However, I would LOVE if they could somehow add that new X-Ray imaging technology that only removes clothing. THAT would be nirvana, my friend!

FLIP COVER
    OK, for future Treo models, how hard would it be to make a slot on the phone where you could attach an optional removable flip cover, just to keep everyone happy? Those flip covers could also come in different colors and themes, which would also help satisfy that desire people have for customizing their phones. Companies could make a lot of money on this as well. Just think about it... your favorite sports teams, company logos, cartoon characters, artwork, etc. (all without having to damage or alter the base Treo 600).

By the way, I actually like Seinfeld...

"But what do I know, I eat my own ****!"
    - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog
    I weigh in on the take picture and upload to pc camp.
    I have my treo for convergence (phone + pda) I'm really excited about getting MP3 player + camera as well.
    I'd like to have them at the moment - but won't carry any more gadgets.

Just to show that users are diferent; I don't really care about the network (I hardly even use the web at the moment - and don't have a data plan - avantgo & plucker are good enough for me 99.5% of the time), so whether i can upload the picture or send it is quite irrelevant!

Regarding video - video streaming is currently possible on the uk network - it's available on three (www.three.co.uk) which is a new 3G network.

And the gadget i'd really like to get is an onboard radio (though this will become unnecessary when bandwith is cheap enough that streaming radio becomes practical)
    I have a new "dream" for a new Treo 700:

They should use the Sony Clie flip screen form factor. What the current complaints come down to is that the screen is too small, blah blah blah. After some thought, I realized that the Sony Clie series was really designed to MAXIMIZE the screen size, and at the same time, leave space for a keyboard. This will be an expensive solution, of course, and requires a lot of miniturization technology that Sony has. But that will definately be the ultimate shape for a phone to be.
    Originally posted by conflagrare
    I have a new "dream" for a new Treo 700:

They should use the Sony Clie flip screen form factor. What the current complaints come down to is that the screen is too small, blah blah blah. After some thought, I realized that the Sony Clie series was really designed to MAXIMIZE the screen size, and at the same time, leave space for a keyboard. This will be an expensive solution, of course, and requires a lot of miniturization technology that Sony has. But that will definately be the ultimate shape for a phone to be.
    Oh please no! The Clie's are huge tanks! Try fitting that thing in your pocket. And they just seem to get bigger and bigger...
    Originally posted by wcarlson40

Oh please no! The Clie's are huge tanks! Try fitting that thing in your pocket. And they just seem to get bigger and bigger...
    Oh no, I don't mean the size of it... just the way that the LCD can come out and flip, and there's a keyboard underneath. Hopefully, technology improves, and we could fit a 320x480 resolution screen on a smaller physical screen space.. that, or settle for 320x320.
    it would be great if the camera has a night mode as obviously there are no more room for the flash. the new nokia 7250i has this and it works great. rotating camera is also very helpful.
    WIFI --
    imagine surfing the net at your local hotspot and not paying sprint to do it, not to mention wireless syncing with your computer and being able to use it at home to order movie tickets again without paying sprint. I don't want to tie up the SD slot with a card because I need it for a memory card for MP3's
    Maybe you live in New York where there are hotspots everywhere, but most city have retively few. Besides-almost all of Sprint's vision plans are unlimited.

Also, I would really miss the flip screen-that is one of the reasons I am questioning buying it.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Im here in Japan right now, where every phone has a camera, and high speed net access. Here my buddy just bought a new DoCoMo phone that has video capabilities, is about 1 megapixel, and is pretty thin... it also has a mini SD slot, so you can save pix on a card, for later development at most photo shops, or your computer at home... heres a link...

he got the red one at the bottom

So it is very possible to put a better camera in the Treo without any sacrifices. Also this phone has one of the best looking displays I've seen! UTCTRU colors too! I don't mind the smaller pixel size in the new Treo, but come on! The difference between a 12 bit and a 24 bit display is a lot and I would think if you have a camera in the phone, at least a 16 bit display is neccasary...
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast